Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

California: Sales tax on receiver fee(s)?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

It's similar to buying a cell phone or anything else that has a discount, you pay tax on full retail not subsidized value. EX. Buy a cell phone that has a full price of $500 but for new contract they give it to you free you pay tax on the $500. Honestly, I don't understand why they don't tax the receivers new customers get too since they show full price then minus any discounts for the freebies.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

You shouldn't be paying sales tax on your Comcast internet service. Federal law forbids taxes on internet service. Do you have basic TV service on your Comcast account to qualify for a lower rate for internet service? That would be taxed.

Oh yeah I forgot I have phone service also my fault

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#23 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Costco charges (around here anyhow) full sales tax on pre-discounted price.

Makes a little difference sometimes, I am near a state border and the states have slightly different sales tax rates, Costco being in the higher of the two, and a nice little midsiz BB in the cheaper of the 2, and I do comparison shop.

#24 OFFLINE   tritch

tritch

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

I live in Texas and see this new tax on the primary receiver. I'm not sure if it's billing gitch or not, because I'm not aware of any new "usage tax" or tax law changes here. It coincides with the price increase in February.

I always thought it was a joke to see this as a line item on the bill anyway. If the first receiver is really free, than it's free....period. What's with the fake charge and then the credit? It should either not be on the bill at all or simply say Primary receiver - $0.00. Any other receivers on the account would each show the $6 mirror fee plus taxes.

I suppose by leaving the charge and credit on there, they can simply take away the credit in the future and start charging everyone for the primary receiver. Just another slick move to increase the price your paying without raising the package prices.....

Attached Thumbnails

• Billing.png

Directv customer since 1995
HR24-500 w/ AM21

#25 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

so to continue my post, they have doubled my tax for this bill. i now pay $0.96 in tax, they added tax to the primary receiver.

my bill went up $5.48 which includes the $2 Lakers fee, will probably double next year to add the Dodgers fee.

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010, 2012 and 2014 World Champions San Francisco Giants

#26 OFFLINE   dudester

dudester

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

You need to pay attention to the sales tax charge. My rate being charged was wrong. I was told by a couple of csr's that its was a statewide preset fee, and if i had a problem i should contact my congressman. It was finally the sales tax rate charged on the shipping fee of a replacement receiver that forced me to take them up on that and it was actually our states attorney general. I and found out we have no such thing. It should be taxed at my local rate which it was not. We do have different tax rates for the same zip code in my town, which was the problem but not until i wrote them a letter and notified them that I did contact my congressman it seemed no one at Directv would actually check on it and take care of it. I took 8 years to get it straightened out.

#27 OFFLINE   jbruggeman

jbruggeman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

On Feb. 7, 2013, Directv began taxing the free receiver in all 50 states. This is tax is against the law in Texas because all credits (like the $6.00 credit for the free receiver) must be subtracted from the charges before the tax rate is applied. Many other states have the same law. I have spoken with the Texas Comptroller's office and they have confirmed what Directv is doing is against the law. In a clandestine manner, Directv is trying to recover the sales or use tax it pays when it buys a receiver. If you think about it, the tax on the $6.00 for about 12-16 months equals the use tax Directv pays when it buys a receiver. Thus, you will actually pay this use tax several times. Moreover, they put no explanation on the bill. They hide the charge by making one think this is something the taxing authority has done. No, the sleaze facatory at Directv came up with this brilliant idea. You may want to sent an email to taxsupport@directv and ask them to explain the tax on the credit and to cite your state law that gives them permission to do it. You will get a BS reply, but at least you will have proof that you tried to get an answer. Please inform your state comptroller and state attorney general about what Directv has done. Directv will drop the new charge if they get enough pressure to do so.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...