Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A truly disgusting D* commercial!!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

this commercial makes her sound like a 'well-wishing simpleton'....

As someone from the south, I can tell you that's not a fake accent.

You're both correct.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,274 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

That one can be taken with a grain of salt. But hearing Charlie Ergen's "All Stars" repeat the word Hopper over and over would give a Aspirin a headache.

The original Hawpa commercial on XM did that to me. And XM repeats commercials over and over and over.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

The commercials I disliked the most were the old NBA League Pass spots where the person(s) would die from unnatural causes, but it was all ok b/c they would have nba league pass in the afterlife...

#24 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

The accent sounds like Prentiss County, MS. She should of told her friend that when your trailer is blown away by a tornado. Some Manufactured Homeowner's Insurance Policies limit coverage on an Antenna, Satellite, and Equipment to $100.
Directv will charge full price to replace the equipment and the cost will easily exceed the $100 limit.

I own an independent insurance adjusting company and have seen this happened on occasion. I have only seen this limit on some Mobile Home policies.

#25 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

You make it out like that was the first thing this woman told her friend hours after her house was destroyed.

Well it sure sounds like it over $10 bucks, I know the comments on YouTube were not very pleasing, but some people would literally take it seriously over anything these days even the accent.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#26 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

As someone from the south, I can tell you that's not a fake accent. I think maybe you're overreacting. Note how she said "when she rebuilt" she told her about DirecTV. You make it out like that was the first thing this woman told her friend hours after her house was destroyed.

Correct.

Real customer and she is from the South. It was her story, that's how those are filmed. Honestly, I don't remember even seeing that one run and it looks like it was months ago, but the customers are filmed in their own voice with their own story on how the referred a friend.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   jforkner

jforkner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCopperopolis, CA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Is D* Dish or DirecTV? Why the abbreviation?

#28 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

As someone from the south, I can tell you that's not a fake accent. I think maybe you're overreacting. Note how she said "when she rebuilt" she told her about DirecTV. You make it out like that was the first thing this woman told her friend hours after her house was destroyed.

+1
I don't see anything wrong with the commercial.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#29 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Is D* Dish or DirecTV? Why the abbreviation?

D* is DirecTV. On the left side of DBSTALK's home page you will see Information Pages. Under that you will find Acronyms. There you will find a list of them that are commonly used.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#30 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Aimed at the sheeple.

You're suppose to be happy for any commercial you have the privilege to view - it's reducing your entertainment bill ya know. :nono2:

#31 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Didn't Charlie send hundreds of installers to New Orleans after Katrina wiped out Cable TV service, so people wouldn't miss their games?
(Winegard and Channel Master ought to have their own "Guard" to swoop in and help out in a disaster :D .)

#32 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

I haven't seen this commercial yet.

The one where the lady gets erm... harassed by the wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube man cracked me up though.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#33 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

It's working. We are all here talking about a commercial. Think about it.

#34 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

I am so disappointed in D* for this absolutely terrible commercial!

1st of all, sounds like a fake Southern accent!

Next, her friend's house got wiped out by a tornado and she is ONLY thinking of saving her friend a whopping $10 with of course no concern of her getting HER $10, which if she was really a friend would give HER's to the friend as well..how disgusting!

D* needs to fire the Ad agency who talked them into this...

So you're telling me that you would rather not have the extra $10? It's cheesy, I'll give you that. The point is some one was having a rough time and they were able to save $10 a month. It's not going to pay for all the damages. However, any way you slice it, that's $10 that person did't previously have.

#35 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

I didn't have a problem with the commercial either. I think they do well with most of the comedic commercials and this was there way of changing, pace for a moment, and showing that if television is necessary(as it is with many households), there are ways to save some money and D* could be a good way to do so.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#36 OFFLINE   Number Six

Number Six

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

The accent sounds like Prentiss County, MS.

I was born in said county ... Going to have to have a listen to this commercial.

spam firewall