Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should this work?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm trying to help out my nephew who's bedroom appears to be terrible for receiving a Wifi signal. I know that a DECA based system is not intended for what I am about to ask. But, for the sake of this discussion, I just need to know if it will work.

They have a SWM based system, with NO Whole Home DVR service. They have a CCK connected to a DVR that's across the room from their wireless router. So it has a good signal.

If I add a DECA in his bedroom, with the coax connected to his existing receiver and the the Ethernet output connected a network switch, and then to his PC and Xbox 360. Will he have Internet access on those two components?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,193 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yes, but not supported by D.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks. His parents know that what I'm suggesting is not supported by DirecTV. But, if it will get my nephew to stop complaining about his lousy Wifi, it's a non-issue to them.

#4 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 796 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

This will work, I've used DECAs in the past for what you are suggesting. Certainly not ideal, but if his wireless service is terrible that will work (I will tell you that if they ever do get Whole Home or start using it, active whole home can very much affect non-DirecTV devices connected with DECAs...I know this from experience! I just ended up getting a higher-powered router).
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I just spoke with my brother and asked how the CCK is connected to his DVR. He said that only the Ethernet is connected. I'll need to run the Coax through the CCK and to the DVR in order to get the Internet into the DECA network, correct?

Am I correct in my belief that the CCK will act as a DECA adapter and that I don't need to add one between the CCK and the DVR? He has either an HR-22 or an HR-23, so I shouldn't need a Band Stop filter, right?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I just spoke with my brother and asked how the CCK is connected to his DVR. He said that only the Ethernet is connected. I'll need to run the Coax through the CCK and to the DVR in order to get the Internet into the DECA network, correct?

Am I correct in my belief that the CCK will act as a DECA adapter and that I don't need to add one between the CCK and the DVR? He has either an HR-22 or an HR-23, so I shouldn't need a Band Stop filter, right?

Would really help to get a hands on view of this.

A CCK, has a coax & ethernet connection. A Wireless CCK, adds another coax for pass through.

The HR22/23 require a DECA connected to the SAT input [for power] and ethernet for networking. This also blocks the DECA signal from the receiver.

If you're changing/moving to a CCK, the receiver needs a BSF to block the DECA.

Have I completely :confused: you yet?
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

A CCK, has a coax & ethernet connection. A Wireless CCK, adds another coax for pass through.

The HR22/23 require a DECA connected to the SAT input [for power] and ethernet for networking. This also blocks the DECA signal from the receiver.

If you're changing/moving to a CCK, the receiver needs a BSF to block the DECA.

Have I completely :confused: you yet?

I'm a little confused trying to follow this;

I thought a CCK-W is currently connected to a DVR across in the same room as the router where it has a "good signal."

So why try and move it to the nephew's bedroom where a WiFi signal is said to be lousy?

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

I'm going to try to do this from memory, plus what I was told earlier today.

They have a SWM dish, 2 HR-22 or 23's, and 4 HD receivers (I don't know what model the receivers are, but they were all installed new (not refurbs) at the same time (or later) than the DVR's were installed). A couple weeks ago, while fixing a problem, a DirecTV repairman, installed a Wireless CCK on the DVR in the den, which is across the room from their wireless router. My understanding is that the Wireless CCK is only connected to the DVR via Ethernet and there is no Coax connected to the CCK at all. With this setup, they obviously do not have Whole Home DVR service.

I'm trying to get the Internet into one of the bedrooms, which has one of the HD receivers. As I wrote in my original post, I realize that what I am attempting to do is not what DECA is intended for. But if I can make it work, I will make a 14 year old boy and his parents very happy.

What do I need to do in order to make this happen?

#9 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

A Receiver DECA
unless its a H24
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

They have a SWM dish, 2 HR-22 or 23's, and 4 HD receivers (I don't know what model the receivers are, but they were all installed new (not refurbs) at the same time (or later) than the DVR's were installed). A couple weeks ago, while fixing a problem, a DirecTV repairman, installed a Wireless CCK on the DVR in the den, which is across the room from their wireless router. My understanding is that the Wireless CCK is only connected to the DVR via Ethernet and there is no Coax connected to the CCK at all. With this setup, they obviously do not have Whole Home DVR service.

I'm trying to get the Internet into one of the bedrooms, which has one of the HD receivers. As I wrote in my original post, I realize that what I am attempting to do is not what DECA is intended for. But if I can make it work, I will make a 14 year old boy and his parents very happy.

The W-CCK connected by the coax thru-line option to the den DVR and a standard receiver DECA dongle for the nephew's bedroom "possibly" connected in the coax run to the receiver with the ethernet pigtail connected to an ethernet switch where the receiver, PC, and other devices then connect to.

The only thing is depending on the model of the receiver in the bedroom you may need to use a 2x1 coax (green label) splitter for the coax run to the bedroom receiver, and connect one output end to the receiver and the other to the receiver DECA with its own PI (for power supply).

#11 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

The only thing is depending on the model of the receiver in the bedroom you may need to use a 2x1 coax (green label) splitter for the coax run to the bedroom receiver, and connect one output end to the receiver and the other to the receiver DECA with its own PI (for power supply).

Do you know what model(s) of receiver would require this? If this ends up being required, I don't think that swapping the bedroom receiver with one of the other receivers in the house (if there are multiple models installed) would be an issue for anyone. I just don't want to do so blindly, hoping that one of them will work.

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

BTW, Im already doing similar here with two PCs running through the DECA cloud and out through a "wired" CCK to an ethernet switch then on to the router.

One, a desktop, connects to the ethernet pigtail of a DECA I (white) module with a PS-18 (blue color) power adapter.

The other, a notebook, in what your nephew's setup may resemble shares the DECA attached to an R22 DVR via an ethernet switch which the receiver, notebook, and DECA pigtail all connect to.

Both PCs and MRV work fine even in the midst of heavy MRV streaming.

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Do you know what model(s) of receiver would require this? If this ends up being required, I don't think that swapping the bedroom receiver with one of the other receivers in the house (if there are multiple models installed) would be an issue for anyone. I just don't want to do so blindly, hoping that one of them will work.

Any STB receiver models that have an internal DECA will require the splitter arrangement, or the H24s and H25s.

#14 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thank you everyone. I have a DECA II on order from ebay. I'm hoping that it arrives tomorrow, so that I can get this done this weekend.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm going to guess the installer did this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989

Now you can connect a coax to it to feed the location you want, "but" all the receivers will need BSFs to keep the DECA signal from their SAT input.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

I'm going to guess the installer did this:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989

That's my understanding.

Now you can connect a coax to it to feed the location you want, "but" all the receivers will need BSFs to keep the DECA signal from their SAT input.

This one?

So much for installing this weekend.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

That's my understanding.

This one?

So much for installing this weekend.

Yes that's it and yes it does look like this weekend is out.

"The problem is" the DECA signal is VERY HIGH compared to the SWiM levels and this can cause the SAT tuner to have problems if the DECA gets to it.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yes that's it and yes it does look like this weekend is out.

"The problem is" the DECA signal is VERY HIGH compared to the SWiM levels and this can cause the SAT tuner to have problems if the DECA gets to it.

Curious;

It's never been totally clear to me what the status of the DECA network signal (or MoCA) for receivers with internal DECAs are when whole home is not activated.

If H/HR24s and H25s share an install with the older H/HR20-23s, R22s and SD receivers are the 24's and 25's internal DECAs still generating a signal even if WH service is not on?

Therefore any R22s, H/HR20-23 and SD receivers should have BSFs connected?

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Curious;

It's never been totally clear to me what the status of the DECA network signal (or MoCA) for receivers with internal DECAs are when whole home is not activated.

If H/HR24s and H25s share an install with the older H/HR20-23s, R22s and SD receivers are the 24's and 25's internal DECAs still generating a signal even if WH service is not on?

Therefore any R22s, H/HR20-23 and SD receivers should have BSFs connected?

In this case anything without an internal/external DECA should have a BSF.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

In this case anything without an internal/external DECA should have a BSF.

Does that include the DVR that will be connected directly to the Wireless CCK or is the Wireless CCK considered to be a DECA as well?

spam firewall