Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

questions about Directv

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

So I"m thinking of getting the Genie setup. I understand with 4 tvs going, I can only record one other program, I can live with that I suppose.

My question is they say on the site you can save money by bundling internet, how does that work and who do you contact for that? Is it worth doing this?

Finally, is it still possible to stack AAA and referral discounts?

And has rain fade gotten any better in south florida?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

You've got that wrong. The Genie HD DVR has 5 tuners, so it can record 5 different channels simultaneously.

With a properly aligned dish, rain fade problems should be minimal, even in South Florida.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

You've got that wrong. The Genie HD DVR has 5 tuners, so it can record 5 different channels simultaneously.

With a properly aligned dish, rain fade problems should be minimal, even in South Florida.

yes, but I said 4 tvs going, so thats 4 tuners in use, so there is 1 left to record something on. thats correct right?

Does anyone know about the other questions?

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,550 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

That would only be if you were using C31s or an RVU set for TVs not connected to the Genie. The Genie actually can only support 3 clients at once. They only use a tuner from the Genie when they are watching live, or in the buffer.

You don't have to use a client, you can get a full receiver, which never uses a tuner from Genie. Those cannot fully manage the Genie, or pause/rewind live like a client can.

I believe AAA and the referral discounts cannot be stacked.

#5 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

right so I have 4 tvs, the genie would be on the main tv, the 3 clients for the wife and kids. if they were all watching, i'm left with 1 turner to record on, technically 2 tuners since I always watch recorded shows.

All 3 genie clients can pull recorded shows right? There isn't some weird limitation or something? I believe there was a limitation of 3 remote viewings or something before they named it genie?

And if I did go with separate receivers down the line, they can still grab from the genie I thought as far as recorded shows?

So no one knows what internet providers they use? I really don't want to call as they are very high pressure on the phone to buy and if I have to go through AAA to get the discount, I don't want to waste anyones time.

#6 OFFLINE   Beachcomber12

Beachcomber12

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

They use whatever Internet provider is available in your area

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,550 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yes, if all three clients were in use for live TV, you'd have one tuner left. If they were playing back something recorded on the Genie, they would not be using a tuner.

Full receivers can play back recordings from the Genie.

#8 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

They use whatever Internet provider is available in your area

Really? So I can bundle with Comcast internet?

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,550 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Bundling is different. That is for particular ISPs. I know AT&T, Excede, CenturyLink, Verizon and Windstream are included. Comcast is a definite no. You can use Comcast, but no bundling or discount. We need MattScahum to show up.

#10 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Really? So I can bundle with Comcast internet?

Yes. I have TWC for my Internet which is connected to my HDTV which i highly recommend if at all possible. But Comcast will be fine......Broadband Internet is the way to go. I use DirecTV and TWC.

#11 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

So I have uverse Internet now, do they bundle with that or I have to go back to old school att dsl with 150gb cap per month?

#12 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

AT&T bundles with Directv. They did it for me and I have uverse.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#13 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

AT&T bundles with Directv. They did it for me and I have uverse.

So how does it work? I ditch my tv, get directv and just keep my uverse and get the discount?

#14 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

SW Florida resident here. Litzdog is correct, with a properly aligned dish rain fade is minimal. A few pm t-Storms during rainy season knock it out for a few minutes, but it is a non factor IMO.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

DirecTV only bundles with Telcos where they (Telcos) do not have they own TV service available. So if you can get U-who TV (video) with AT&T, you might not be able to get bundled with DirecTV

#16 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

I think I'll do costco deal since it seems you can stack it with raf. But then can I still bundle internet if I sign up online?

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I think I'll do costco deal since it seems you can stack it with raf. But then can I still bundle internet if I sign up online?

Bundling service is having one provider set you up for another provider. The only way you could bundle your services at this point, is to call AT&T and have them setup your D* order. If you do, triple check your original order email to make sure it is correct. If you want to connect other deals, such as Costco, you won't be able to bundle though you may be able to setup joint billing. You would need to call AT&T to check on requirements for joint billing.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#18 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Bundling service is having one provider set you up for another provider. The only way you could bundle your services at this point, is to call AT&T and have them setup your D* order. If you do, triple check your original order email to make sure it is correct. If you want to connect other deals, such as Costco, you won't be able to bundle though you may be able to setup joint billing. You would need to call AT&T to check on requirements for joint billing.

so if i have uverse now i'm screwed with that? Could i bundle with someone else? I don't want to pay the high prices for uverse so figured bundling might save me a little bit. maybe i'll go comcast internet for a bit and then have directv bundle me with someone else. would that work?

#19 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

DirecTV only bundles with Telcos where they (Telcos) do not have they own TV service available. So if you can get U-who TV (video) with AT&T, you might not be able to get bundled with DirecTV

Nope they will bundle it even if U-Verse is available

#20 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

Nope they will bundle it even if U-Verse is available

That's curious. I was under the impression if you had D* then you could bundle U-verse internet to it but if you have U-Verse internet already hooked up, I don't see them allowing you to cancel your television service with them and then have you bundled with D*. Seems a big step backwards for them.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...