Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

questions about Directv

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

So I have uverse Internet now, do they bundle with that or I have to go back to old school att dsl with 150gb cap per month?

If you sign up for DTV through ATT, then you would not qualify for the referral or AAA new customer offer available for AAA members. If you want to take advantage of the AAA and/or referral, then you'll need to sign up through DTV, then you can opt into joint billing via ATT once your DTV service is active.
--
You can not do both the AAA and referral. This is the number to call to do AAA sign up: (800) 242-9114, this is the number to call to do refer a friend sign up: 1-800-347-3288
--
Hope this helps.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

so if i have uverse now i'm screwed with that? Could i bundle with someone else? I don't want to pay the high prices for uverse so figured bundling might save me a little bit. maybe i'll go comcast internet for a bit and then have directv bundle me with someone else. would that work?

If I were you, I would also just call DTV and speak with someone in their bundles department. They should be able to answer any questions regarding bundling options in your area. I would also tell them you current have Uverse for internet. Do you also have Uverse currently for TV, or a different TV provider?

#23 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

been there done that....................... you don't save squat on the BUNDLE..........after the first year. when i did it with windstream the savings was $3.00 per mo............:eek2:

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#24 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

currently I have uverse tv and internet. so I'm still trying to understand. I can't bundle if I already have uverse internet? or is it that I order dtv, then call them up and have them bundle it together and save 3 bucks a month?

I'm going to do the costco/raf deal, that seems to work for everyone. seems to be the easiest way and you can do it online with screenshots and printouts if they ever try to deny the pricing which I've read about during google searches.

So assuming I do it, what numbers do I make sure the dish is reading before I sign on the dotted line at installation?

#25 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

currently I have uverse tv and internet. so I'm still trying to understand. I can't bundle if I already have uverse internet? or is it that I order dtv, then call them up and have them bundle it together and save 3 bucks a month?

I'm going to do the costco/raf deal, that seems to work for everyone. seems to be the easiest way and you can do it online with screenshots and printouts if they ever try to deny the pricing which I've read about during google searches.

So assuming I do it, what numbers do I make sure the dish is reading before I sign on the dotted line at installation?

If your keeping U-Verse internet, and signing up through a dealer, then once your DTV is installed and your Uverse TV cancelled, then contact ATT and just tell them you'd like to opt into joint biling with your Uverse and DTV service, and as long as you meet qualifications, you'll get an additional 5$ ATT savings credit monthly on your DTV bill. For the ATT side, you would need to speak with them.
--
But ATT is whom does the joint bill opt in if you wish to do that. Once you sign up, you should also get an order confirmation from Directv, which will show you everything about your order, including credits/charges.
--
As for signal strength, it's something your tech should check when installing. They have certain numbers it has to be in before they are allowed to close the order. As for what those levels are, i'm not sure. I would discuss that with your tech.
--
One other thing to check when the tech comes, and you may just want to bring up with him, is the Protection Plan, as it's discussed/added by the tech not the sales rep, and is a checked/unchecked box when you sign off on the tech's paperwork, so if you don't want it, make sure it's not checked to add on his paperwork when you go to sign.

#26 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

okay, so 5 dollars off to bundle isn't too bad. probably not worth the hassle to switch to comcast cable then.

So I guess the thing i'm trying to ask for the install would be, with rain fade an issue in south florida, would I be a dick if I wouldn't sign on the line unless the levels were as high as possible?

I had DISH for a number of years and I know the drill, they have to put it in right the first time otherwise its too bad sucker and you can pay 49 dollar service charges or live with it. Funny thing is after I had uverse installed and called them to cancel, they were willing to waive the 49 dollar service fee LOL.

3 installers it took to put Uverse in correctly over like a month.

And what about the HR44? is that out yet?

#27 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

okay, so 5 dollars off to bundle isn't too bad. probably not worth the hassle to switch to comcast cable then.

So I guess the thing i'm trying to ask for the install would be, with rain fade an issue in south florida, would I be a dick if I wouldn't sign on the line unless the levels were as high as possible?

I had DISH for a number of years and I know the drill, they have to put it in right the first time otherwise its too bad sucker and you can pay 49 dollar service charges or live with it. Funny thing is after I had uverse installed and called them to cancel, they were willing to waive the 49 dollar service fee LOL.

3 installers it took to put Uverse in correctly over like a month.

And what about the HR44? is that out yet?

Honestly, I would just discuss it with your tech. If you don't feel your getting the best you can from the install tech, then I would call DTV.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

If the levels are too low, the installer isn't able to activate without a waiver. There also is a period after the install where you can get an installer back at no charge, without the protection plan.

HR44 is not available yet.

#29 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

does anyone know where I can find a list of ondemand tv shows on directv? That would pretty much seal the deal if at least I can catch the show on demand if it gets killed by rain fade. I've been on directv site, but can't find any place where it lists networks and the shows they have. I found one spot that just kind of lumps all the shows together, but even when you click on it in the ondemand section, it just says do you want to record it.

#30 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

That's curious. I was under the impression if you had D* then you could bundle U-verse internet to it but if you have U-Verse internet already hooked up, I don't see them allowing you to cancel your television service with them and then have you bundled with D*. Seems a big step backwards for them.

my ex-wife has uverse internet and directv, both bundled, both installed at the same time when she moved into the property, she is 450 feet from the sac so she qualified for both tv and internest, but chose to go with directv instead and she is bundled

#31 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Word of the wise, you will NEVER save money by switching to Comcast... we currently have there "Economy" internet @54.99 a month! crazy i know but, the only alternative here is Verizon DSL that offers on good days 1.5Mbps download.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#32 OFFLINE   Camborita

Camborita

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

does anyone know where I can find a list of ondemand tv shows on directv? That would pretty much seal the deal if at least I can catch the show on demand if it gets killed by rain fade. I've been on directv site, but can't find any place where it lists networks and the shows they have. I found one spot that just kind of lumps all the shows together, but even when you click on it in the ondemand section, it just says do you want to record it.

coolman302003 keeps a list of the HD VOD channels at this link:
http://www.dbstalk.c...99&postcount=44

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

With a properly aligned dish, rain fade problems should be minimal, even in South Florida.

"Minimal" is a relative and somewhat indeterminate term.

Someone in Arizona would probably have a fit if they had the issues that those in Florida, Tornado Alley, Dixie Alley or the Great Lakes region randomly endure during the Spring and early Summer.

Another poster recently commented about issues with their new install in South Florida so the issues exist.

Is it a big deal? Probably not. Is it better than it was six years ago? Again, probably not. Your neighbors who subscribe to DIRECTV can give you the best insights in terms of what to expect.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#34 OFFLINE   johndoe1000

johndoe1000

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

I for one get rain fade all the time in West Michigan. My dish is properly aligned, and on top of a 2 story house to line of sight over the trees (which makes it a ridiculous effort to clear wet snow off the dish when we get it, which also results in signal loss). Seems I'll even lose signal when the thunderclouds get real thick in spring and summer, just before they actually start pouring rain.

#35 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

One other thing to check when the tech comes, and you may just want to bring up with him, is the Protection Plan, as it's discussed/added by the tech not the sales rep, and is a checked/unchecked box when you sign off on the tech's paperwork...

It can be added by the sales rep or the technician. If it's added by the sales rep it will show up on the confirmation email.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#36 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

So I'm writing here to respond and . .

#37 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered