Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any way to activate a DTV DVR w/o a dish?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I asked this question eight months ago, but maybe things have changed.

I have a reasonably new HD DVR. There is a USB port on the front, and it should be connected to "the world" via the Ethernet connection and the rest of my electronics (the way you can download over the internet).

The problem is there is still no satellite dish connected, for various reasons. Since the DVR was off for so long, even when it is fired up, it will not play any of the shows already recorded - or if there is a way to do this now, I haven't been able to find it.

My DTV service is turned back on, but without the dish hooked up, there doesn't seem to be any way to get the DVR working, so for now, at least I can watch my pre-recorded programs.

Any way around this?

If I had a neighbor with a dish set up, maybe I could get it running just long enough to get it to function normally again. I could then take it to my place, plug it in, and I'd have my shows to watch..... but I don't have a neighbor with DTV. :-(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

One other option - no matter how I tried, I could never get my dish to even start to capture a signal from the satellite. I can spend hours trying to aim it "by guess", and no results at all. It didn't use to be that hard.

I've got a friend who switched from DTV to Dish, and he has the old DTV dish lying around unused. If I bring it to my place, will it be possible to aim it manually, long enough to get my system running? I guess I'd have to change the menu settings for an 18" round dish, and probably some others - but maybe with this setup, I could get something working long enough to turn "on" my DVR so it functions again.

#3 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I asked this question eight months ago, but maybe things have changed.

I have a reasonably new HD DVR. There is a USB port on the front, and it should be connected to "the world" via the Ethernet connection and the rest of my electronics (the way you can download over the internet).

The problem is there is still no satellite dish connected, for various reasons. Since the DVR was off for so long, even when it is fired up, it will not play any of the shows already recorded - or if there is a way to do this now, I haven't been able to find it.

My DTV service is turned back on, but without the dish hooked up, there doesn't seem to be any way to get the DVR working, so for now, at least I can watch my pre-recorded programs.

Any way around this?

If I had a neighbor with a dish set up, maybe I could get it running just long enough to get it to function normally again. I could then take it to my place, plug it in, and I'd have my shows to watch..... but I don't have a neighbor with DTV. :-(

Is the DVR in question active on your account? If no, then even connecting it to a working dish won't authorize it. In fact, if it were working, it would do the opposite.

As for getting it working to play recorded content without connecting it to a working dish, it isn't going to happen. It receives the authorization signal via the sat...not via internet connection. Once it has determined that it has been too long since receiving an authorization signal (this time seems to vary widely by receiver), it shuts down the way yours has.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

yeah, you could put your friend's dish on a porch, fence, lawn chair; aim it properly (very old, one LNBF for 101W would be enough), and wait for a few minutes to get authorization cmd; if it not authorize it after 20 min, get DTV online access to your account and send the re-author cmd again

#5 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

To BLWedge09, if you mean has my account been set up for this DVR, the answer is yes. Everything was fine, until I shut it down for a "vacation hold" which continued on as my building was worked on. It has been "off" for just under a year, I think. Bummer, I was hoping things might have changed, but I can understand why DTV might not want to do that.

yeah, you could put your friend's dish on a porch, fence, lawn chair; aim it properly (very old, one LNBF for 101W would be enough), and wait for a few minutes to get authorization cmd; if it not authorize it after 20 min, get DTV online access to your account and send the re-author cmd again

P Smith, I assume you mean I do the following:
  • take the old dish, prop it up and look up the settings for "101W" to aim it.
  • Change the Satellite dish setup so it's no longer 17:Slimline-3S (SWM)
  • Switch type is now: 01:SWM (I assume this will change when I change the dish?)
  • Tuners: dual (I assume I should change this to single?)
  • The old satellite dish just had one cable coming from it, so that will go to #1 on the DVR.

Or, can I just leave all the settings the way they are right now, and connect my co-ax to the old dish? I'm guessing I can't, but maybe the electronics will figure all this out?

One last thing - please excuse my ignorance.
You suggest using satellite "101W"
Is this the same as what I see from "Satfinder Pro", DirecTV 4S/8 - 101.0 West?

The settings from Satfinder Pro are:
Azimuth 221.2
elevation 51.9
LNB tilt 36.4

Do I just ignore LNB tilt? I don't think it applies if there's just one transponder and I just want to pick up the one satellite?

My memory is that all this (with the round dish) was relatively simple - either that, or way back when, I just had an overabundance of "beginner's luck"! :-)

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™ŠπŸ“‘

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Is your account is on hold? if yes, no matter what you do your DVR would not work dish or not dish. you need a working account (yours of course) and a working dish in order for the receiver to get authorizations from the mothership.

The reason for this is to prevent signal theft

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

If you are still on your vacation hold, it doesnt matter if you get signal or not....without active service, its not going to work. It still kind of confusing if you actually have service right now.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

If you are still on your vacation hold, it doesnt matter if you get signal or not....without active service, its not going to work. It still kind of confusing if you actually have service right now.

Baffling, this is. I don't get what he's trying to do. How do you get D* service without a dish being installed?

Clarification would help.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Baffling, this is. I don't get what he's trying to do. How do you get D* service without a dish being installed?

Clarification would help.

Rich

Maybe he just wants VOD via the internet or just to watch existing recordings?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

yeah, give the man a little hope

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

yeah, give the man a little hope

I don't see how. He's certainly not gonna be able to play programs after the unit sits for 8 months. But, I don't know anyone that has actually tried it for longer than a week or two for recorded content. Maybe, I dunno. Kinda hard to say you can't do something without empirical data of some kind.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Is the DVR in question active on your account? If no, then even connecting it to a working dish won't authorize it. In fact, if it were working, it would do the opposite.

As for getting it working to play recorded content without connecting it to a working dish, it isn't going to happen. It receives the authorization signal via the sat...not via internet connection. Once it has determined that it has been too long since receiving an authorization signal (this time seems to vary widely by receiver), it shuts down the way yours has.

Ever turned on an HR that had been off for a long period of time? Do we really know what happens if there is no coax or Ethernet wire attached? I've got an HR21-200 that I've been holding onto, patiently awaiting a recovery kit. I'll check that and see what happens.

Longest I've ever used an HR without anything "in" is a week. Works great. I've just never gone farther.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Maybe he just wants VOD via the internet or just to watch existing recordings?

I have no idea about VOD. I do doubt that he'd get it. Just an opinion.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Ever turned on an HR that had been off for a long period of time? Do we really know what happens if there is no coax or Ethernet wire attached? I've got an HR21-200 that I've been holding onto, patiently awaiting a recovery kit. I'll check that and see what happens.

As long as you disco the receiver from the dish BEFORE you shut the service off, the DVR's WILL continue to playback prerecorded shows just fine. If the DVR's ALREADY got the kill signal, you're SOL, period.

2 HR20's here that have been shut off since last September & all shows play just fine; matter of fact, the DVR's run BETTER now, than when they get all the bloatware from the satellite signal! And before you ask, YES they have been unplugged & rebooted several times since - once they reboot & you get SFS, you simply press LIST & you're ready to playback shows, no biggie.

Edmund (the remote guru here) & myself just posted the same thing on the Tivo board w/his R22's; they continue to playback prerecorded shows just fine as well - even though there's folks over that SWEAR this isn't true. (never mind they've never tried it themselves... :rolleyes: ) I actually tried it on an HR receiver for 2 months BEFORE pulling the plug on D*.

-------------

OP, even if you get the receiver connected to a dish somewhere, you're STILL going to have to have D* send a rehit to it, before it will start working again. (note it does NOT even need to be a slimline dish, as all authorizations come thru the 101 bird) If all you want to do is playback &/or save pre-recorded shows, once the DVR gets a new hit & is running for awhile, just disconnect from the dish, THEN you shut the service off - simple as that.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™ŠπŸ“‘

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Not to argue dishrich, but as an installer myself, often customers moving from another state they bring the receivers that have been off the satellite for a week or two. after installation the receiver gets a 722 message. "your authorizations have expired. Please call DirecTV" So it will appear that a receiver off DirecTV's "grid" might not work after an "X" amount of days, weeks…

#16 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Not to argue dishrich, but as an installer myself, often customers moving from another state they bring the receivers that have been off the satellite for a week or two.

But AGAIN - do you know FOR SURE, that those subs receivers did NOT get a shutoff command, BEFORE they unplugged their receivers & moved them?
Not to argue, but that IS the key to keeping the DVR (playback) alive on the DVR...

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

As long as you disco the receiver from the dish BEFORE you shut the service off, the DVR's WILL continue to playback prerecorded shows just fine. If the DVR's ALREADY got the kill signal, you're SOL, period.

2 HR20's here that have been shut off since last September & all shows play just fine; matter of fact, the DVR's run BETTER now, than when they get all the bloatware from the satellite signal! And before you ask, YES they have been unplugged & rebooted several times since - once they reboot & you get SFS, you simply press LIST & you're ready to playback shows, no biggie.

Edmund (the remote guru here) & myself just posted the same thing on the Tivo board w/his R22's; they continue to playback prerecorded shows just fine as well - even though there's folks over that SWEAR this isn't true. (never mind they've never tried it themselves... :rolleyes: ) I actually tried it on an HR receiver for 2 months BEFORE pulling the plug on D*.

I had a feeling they would play recorded content after being disconnected from the Net and the coax, just had never done it on an HR for longer than a week. I've done it on several SD TiVos and they all played back the content after sitting on shelves for quite a while. As I said in an earlier post in this thread, I've never had a reason to go beyond a week with an HR on vacation, but I can't think of a logical reason why you couldn't play back recorded content as long as the coax and Net connections were disconnected. Of course, since I was leaving the house for the shore each time, I had to disconnect all the inputs and reboot when I got to the shore.

Some of that stuff you read on other forums just doesn't match up with reality. And as you said, how could you know this unless you've tried it?

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Not to argue dishrich, but as an installer myself, often customers moving from another state they bring the receivers that have been off the satellite for a week or two. after installation the receiver gets a 722 message. "your authorizations have expired. Please call DirecTV" So it will appear that a receiver off DirecTV's "grid" might not work after an "X" amount of days, weeks…

Dishrich is right, I think. Think about it. If I took an HR with me on vacation and decided to stay there, why wouldn't I be able to watch the content for...ever? You or anyone else reading this thread can do it right now. Just unplug all the inputs and after that, you will get the 771s, but the Playlist will still show up when you hit the button and you will be able to see and play the content. Now, let's go forward a few months. Without any inputs from D* and assuming that D* hasn't jiggled the software around so that there is a firm date to disallow viewing, you should be able to view your content for quite a while. Probably until you run out of content.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™ŠπŸ“‘

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

But AGAIN - do you know FOR SURE, that those subs receivers did NOT get a shutoff command, BEFORE they unplugged their receivers & moved them?
Not to argue, but that IS the key to keeping the DVR (playback) alive on the DVR...

I think I can say I know for sure. Because when a receiver gets a disconnect "command" from DirecTV the receiver immediately goes to 711 (service not authorized) of course assuming the receiver got the command. In the event the receiver did not get the command because the customer had it boxed up, then it would not get the command, even if its was later connected to a working dish and got the disconnected command it would say 711. The 721 OSD means that the receiver never got the "command" from the mothership to keep running.

#20 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Dishrich is right, I think. Think about it. If I took an HR with me on vacation and decided to stay there, why wouldn't I be able to watch the content for...ever? You or anyone else reading this thread can do it right now. Just unplug all the inputs and after that, you will get the 771s, but the Playlist will still show up when you hit the button and you will be able to see and play the content. Now, let's go forward a few months. Without any inputs from D* and assuming that D* hasn't jiggled the software around so that there is a firm date to disallow viewing, you should be able to view your content for quite a while. Probably until you run out of content.

Rich

He's right about at least some of the HR20s. Anything newer, and all bets are off. There have been plenty of reports of people with HR21s, 22s, 23s, and 24s that disconnected all wiring from the receiver before deactivating it and it still quit working anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks later. It's obvious that some of these receivers shut themselves off if they don't receive an authorization signal every so often. How often seems to be dependent on the receiver.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

Protected By... spam firewall...And...