Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any way to activate a DTV DVR w/o a dish?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

He's right about at least some of the HR20s. Anything newer, and all bets are off. There have been plenty of reports of people with HR21s, 22s, 23s, and 24s that disconnected all wiring from the receiver before deactivating it and it still quit working anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks later. It's obvious that some of these receivers shut themselves off if they don't receive an authorization signal every so often. How often seems to be dependent on the receiver.

I've never tried watching recorded content with a deactivated HR. As soon as I deactivate one, the Tech takes it back. Or it sits on a shelf for months waiting for a recovery kit.

My only experiences have been with taking an activated HR on vacation and viewing the recorded content. I do have one HR that has been deactivated for several months and I gotta hook that up and see if it will still play the recorded content. Thing is, I don't remember if it was deactivated while still hooked up. Probably not, the Techs usually hook up the new HR on the same cables as the one being replaced then make the calls to activate and deactivate the HRs being swapped.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I just turned on the 21-200 I deactivated a few months ago and the content is playing now. I really think it was deactivated after it was unplugged and all the inputs were removed. I do realize that this is only one HR out of many, many, but it works as far as viewing content goes.

Rich

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

Good news !!
And conclusion: disconnect sat tuner coax(es) before you'll deactivate it; and never connect the coaxes back to dish before you'll decide to re-activate the DVR !

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Good news !!
And conclusion: disconnect sat tuner coax(es) before you'll deactivate it; and never connect the coaxes back to dish before you'll decide to re-activate the DVR !

Yup, for a change I wasn't surprised that my conclusion was correct, at least for this receiver.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   johnsonsm4

johnsonsm4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

My HR21 goes through the self startup receiver check and then looks for the satellite signal.  I get a 775 code.  I then use the menu button to get to the recorded programs which work fine until the receiver begins a new self check.  Anyway to stop that?  Right now that is my only problem.

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

My HR21 goes through the self startup receiver check and then looks for the satellite signal.  I get a 775 code.  I then use the menu button to get to the recorded programs which work fine until the receiver begins a new self check.  Anyway to stop that?  Right now that is my only problem.

Is your DVR connected to the satellite dish?
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Not to argue dishrich, but as an installer myself, often customers moving from another state they bring the receivers that have been off the satellite for a week or two. after installation the receiver gets a 722 message. "your authorizations have expired. Please call DirecTV" So it will appear that a receiver off DirecTV's "grid" might not work after an "X" amount of days, weeks…

The key words here are "AFTER INSTALLATION" meaning the receiver gained access to the satellite data stream.  These folks are talking about pulling the satellite signal BEFORE the shutdown command and NEVER LETTING IT SEE A SATELLITE SIGNAL AGAIN.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

The key words here are "AFTER INSTALLATION" meaning the receiver gained access to the satellite data stream.  These folks are talking about pulling the satellite signal BEFORE the shutdown command and NEVER LETTING IT SEE A SATELLITE SIGNAL AGAIN.

This is of course assuming that the moment I connected the receiver to the satellite, DirecTV resend the disconnection signal at the same time.  Wow, talk about timing….what are the chances of this happening???

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

chances are high, the unsub cmd spooling for half year or so

#30 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

chances are high, the unsub cmd spooling for half year or so

Peds means if they sent the signal to deactivate your receiver entirely, it would have to happen in the split second it was actually connected to the dish(it's not like a text message that waits until your phone reconnects).  The error you would see at that point is "Receiver Identification Error" and noithing would work at all.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

Peds means if they sent the signal to deactivate your receiver entirely, it would have to happen in the split second it was actually connected to the dish(it's not like a text message that waits until your phone reconnects).  The error you would see at that point is "Receiver Identification Error" and noithing would work at all.

EXACTLY

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall