Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR 2013 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Let's go racing Boys and girls (just does not sound right!)

2013 brings a lot of interesting changes to NASCAR with the introduction of the Gen6 Car in Sprint Cup and Danica Patrick racing full time and becoming the first woman ever to win a sprint cup pole..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Danika is just there for the ad revenue. She didnt finish a race higher than 17th place all last year. I used to watch Nascar live, but now I just record it, and skip the commercials (what seems like 50% of the program), and it seems if ANYTHING happens on the track (wreck, pass for first, good save), it happens during a commercial break.

I was seriously considering not even watching this year, except right now, the lack of any other sports that interest me compelled me to tune in yet again.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Every time I see a story about Danica Patrick racing I think of how much I like Johanna Long.

Danica has won one race. Johanna won a championship. Johanna won the late model Snowball Derby the year after Kyle Busch won it. I'm looking forward to seeing Johanna improve over the years. And if good looks are needed for a woman to succeed in NASCAR Johanna has it covered. :)

Posted Image

Congratulations to Danica on the pole ... considering the other two Stewart/Haus cars ended up in in the top 5 I would credit the organization on getting her to the front. Let's see how she does in the race. She has a good chance of improving on her 38th place finish. :D

I wish the media would just leave her alone. She deserves some press for winning the pole, but she has received far too much press for simply being female. Let her prove herself as a NASCAR driver before we roll out the atta girls.

BTW: Daytona can be a lottery but it would be cool to see Mark Martin win.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Personally, I do expect to see in Victory circle this year but I don't believe it is going to be earned win but rather one which falls in her lap (race called due to rain, late accident which wipes out half the field, race leaders are forced to pit road with 2 to go (I believe this is how she won her only IRL race), etc.).

I saw a story the other day that if she were to win on Sunday that there could be an issue due to weight. As I understand it from the story, all the cars must weigh the same and weights are such are added/subtracted from the car depending on the car/driver weight. Nascar supposedly though does not weigh the drivers themselves and has a fixed weight of 140lbs in their calculation. Long story short, assuming Danica weighs under 140, she has an advantage..

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I do believe that the officials are on top of the weight of the cars and drivers combination so that all is the same as far as weight goes.
Danica does her best on the long and fast tracks. Her worst times are when there is bumping together and forcing her car into some place that is tight. She has a tendency to save the car and not wreck it rather than push the situation and go for the win.
All of this is a learning the differences in the cars she used to race that were totaled if you touched to these much bigger, heavier, bump-able cars that she is driving now.

For me, I would like to see her finish on the lead lap and finish better than where she started the race. Of course for this race that can not happen she she is starting on the pole.
I do remember one race where her and Tony led a lot of the race when they were teamed up and pushing each other and this might happen Sunday.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Personally, I do expect to see in Victory circle this year but I don't believe it is going to be earned win but rather one which falls in her lap (race called due to rain, late accident which wipes out half the field, race leaders are forced to pit road with 2 to go (I believe this is how she won her only IRL race), etc.).

I saw a story the other day that if she were to win on Sunday that there could be an issue due to weight. As I understand it from the story, all the cars must weigh the same and weights are such are added/subtracted from the car depending on the car/driver weight. Nascar supposedly though does not weigh the drivers themselves and has a fixed weight of 140lbs in their calculation. Long story short, assuming Danica weighs under 140, she has an advantage..

I looked this up and she and Mark Martin have this weight advantage. Here is a link to the explanation.
http://www.nascar.co...at-daytona.html

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

As I understand it from the story, all the cars must weigh the same and weights are such are added/subtracted from the car depending on the car/driver weight. Nascar supposedly though does not weigh the drivers themselves and has a fixed weight of 140lbs in their calculation. Long story short, assuming Danica weighs under 140, she has an advantage..

The 140lbs is the minimum weight NASCAR compensates for. The "fixed weight" is 3300 for the car and 180 for the driver. Drivers over 180 do not get to take weight off of the car ... drivers under 180 have to add weight to compensate ... down to the 140 pound level (a driver weighing 149 pounds or less adds 40 pounds to the car).

Perhaps it is an advantage, but it is an advantage that is fully within the NASCAR rules and an advantage that has been given to any driver under 140. This is not a Danica only advantage. It is simply the NASCAR rules.

I do remember one race where her and Tony led a lot of the race when they were teamed up and pushing each other and this might happen Sunday.

I thought the two car tandem was gone? It could end up being a pack race where (depending on accidents) a driver could get lucky and have a friendly driver behind them to push them ahead on the last lap. eg: Kirk Busch helping Ryan Newman to his 2008 Daytona 500 win (over Tony Stewart and Kyle Busch).

That is part of what makes Daytona a lottery. Avoiding the accidents and being in the right place at the right time with the right help.

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

It is definitely going to be an interesting 2 days for sure. Nationwide starts in about a half an hour. It will be quite different with the much reduced horsepower of thse cars vs the new Gen 6 cars they run tomorrow.
I definitely like the Gen 6 car so far.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Every time I see a story about Danica Patrick racing I think of how much I like Johanna Long.

Danica has won one race. Johanna won a championship. Johanna won the late model Snowball Derby the year after Kyle Busch won it. I'm looking forward to seeing Johanna improve over the years. And if good looks are needed for a woman to succeed in NASCAR Johanna has it covered. :)

Congratulations to Danica on the pole ... considering the other two Stewart/Haus cars ended up in in the top 5 I would credit the organization on getting her to the front. Let's see how she does in the race. She has a good chance of improving on her 38th place finish. :D

I wish the media would just leave her alone. She deserves some press for winning the pole, but she has received far too much press for simply being female. Let her prove herself as a NASCAR driver before we roll out the atta girls.

BTW: Daytona can be a lottery but it would be cool to see Mark Martin win.

Did you see the new Female Crew Member in the Truck series ?
I think she is the first Female Crew Member.

Daytona and Talladega are both a lottery ticket for the speeds they run at both places.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Did you see the new Female Crew Member in the Truck series ?
I think she is the first Female Crew Member.

Did she go over the wall for pit stops? That would be a first (according to the chatter on SiriusXM Nascar Radio channel 90 yesterday). As far as female crew member there have been many over the years. And there are plenty of NASCAR officials who are female - including ones that go over the wall.

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Did she go over the wall for pit stops? That would be a first (according to the chatter on SiriusXM Nascar Radio channel 90 yesterday). As far as female crew member there have been many over the years. And there are plenty of NASCAR officials who are female - including ones that go over the wall.

She is a tire changer. her name is Christmas Abbott.

Edit: Correction: She strives to be a tire changer but is not there yet.

http://www.upi.com/b.../7541361395447/

#12 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

I just watched the finish to the Nationwide race a short time ago - :eek2:

I know there's at least 2 critically injured fans and about 30 total - I hope they all come out of it OK.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

I heard some of the coverage on NASCAR Radio right after the race. People very choked up about the incident. Kenny Wallace was on later in the evening. The TV footage showed the tire clear the fence but it was only a black object and ESPN did not identify it. ESPN kept their cameras on the racetrack and infield with only a shot of the engine and other tire ... which was caught by the fence ... sitting on the wrong side of the wall. The engine was leaking and had a small fire.

After seeing the YouTube footage and other coverage I am surprised that no one was killed instantly. The two in critical condition include a person with a serious head injury and a child.

The fence will be patched ... the Daytona 500 will run ... but NASCAR needs to once again work on keeping cars out of the fence. Injuring fans is not cool.

#14 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

The fence will be patched ... the Daytona 500 will run ... but NASCAR needs to once again work on keeping cars out of the fence. Injuring fans is not cool.

The question becomes how? I don't believe there is a good way to do it and still allow the fans to remain close to the action.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#15 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Perhaps it is an advantage, but it is an advantage that is fully within the NASCAR rules and an advantage that has been given to any driver under 140. This is not a Danica only advantage. It is simply the NASCAR rules.

However, those rules were written with MEN in mind not females who typically weigh considerably less than men. I have seem some stories which list Danica's weight to be around 100 pounds while the average weight of a male driver is 175 pounds.
If Danica is going to win a race in this series then I would prefer to see her win it on a even playing scale and not with those within NASCAR, the media, and the fans saying she had some kind of advantage.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

The question becomes how? I don't believe there is a good way to do it and still allow the fans to remain close to the action.

That is the challenge. NASCAR will figure it out. One thing for sure ... they are not the kind of sport that sits back and says "accidents will happen" and does not look at preventing or mitigating the next one.

However, those rules were written with MEN in mind not females who typically weigh considerably less than men.

The intent of the rule was not to give women an advantage. Changing the rule to penalize a woman seems to be unfair. If weight was an issue they should have done something for Mark Martin. (BTW: Brad weighs 155, Joey weighs 140.)

If Danica is going to win a race in this series then I would prefer to see her win it on a even playing scale and not with those within NASCAR, the media, and the fans saying she had some kind of advantage.

Is it even to ask a 125 pound man like Mark Martin to muscle a 3300 pound race car around the track that was built to be handled by a 140-180 pound driver? Perhaps the smaller drivers should get power steering to level the playing field. Perhaps Michael Waltrip should get a lighter car since he weighs in at 210? Or Ryan Newman at 207?

Rewriting the rules for one popular/infamous driver is wrong.

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Get rid of restrictor plates so all the cars arent bunched up togetherfor the duration of every race and they would eliminate this absurd "bump drafting" BS. OK, so a car going 225 might do an air flip and put the driver at risk. That is on the driver. They have the safety equipment. The fans do not. I thought racing was about who is the fastest and best, not who can knock the other cars into a wall at the end of the race.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Get rid of restrictor plates so all the cars arent bunched up togetherfor the duration of every race and they would eliminate this absurd "bump drafting" BS. OK, so a car going 225 might do an air flip and put the driver at risk. That is on the driver. They have the safety equipment. The fans do not. I thought racing was about who is the fastest and best, not who can knock the other cars into a wall at the end of the race.

If they would take away the restrictor plates and reduce the size of the engines they could get them back down to about 180 mph where I don't think they would fly like we are seeing lately.

#19 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

If they would take away the restrictor plates and reduce the size of the engines they could get them back down to about 180 mph where I don't think they would fly like we are seeing lately.

Yes, but any method they use to create a false max speed limit is going to have the same results, all the cars are going to bunch up, and bump draft to get a few extra HP. Only allowing the cars to go as fast as the engine/body builders can, will results in some cars taking off out front while lesser cars will fall behind... hence the whole field wont be bunched up into a 1/4 mile on a 2 1/2 mile track.

For races like Daytona, Im all in favor of making them go to a local dealer of the manufacturer they represent, pick a car off the lot, install the safety equipment, and go for it. Race.

Id like to see some vets out there. V8 power, vs the Toyota's 6 banger. Hmmm.

#20 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

The intent of the rule was not to give women an advantage. Changing the rule to penalize a woman seems to be unfair. If weight was an issue they should have done something for Mark Martin. (BTW: Brad weighs 155, Joey weighs 140.)

Is it even to ask a 125 pound man like Mark Martin to muscle a 3300 pound race car around the track that was built to be handled by a 140-180 pound driver? Perhaps the smaller drivers should get power steering to level the playing field. Perhaps Michael Waltrip should get a lighter car since he weighs in at 210? Or Ryan Newman at 207?

Rewriting the rules for one popular/infamous driver is wrong.

Never said the rule was written to give women an advantage but rather the rule was written with men in mind. I doubt anyone at the time ever thought a woman would some day be behind the wheel.

As I understand the rule, for every 10 pound segment the driver weighs under 180, they must add 10 pounds to the car (ie drivers weighs 170-179, they need to add 10 pounds) and this goes on to 140 pounds. Mark Martin who weighs 135 must add 40 pounds to his car but has a 5 pound advantage by weighing 135. Danica on the other hand weighs 100 pounds and only has to add the same 40 pounds.

You seem to misunderstand that I am not taking sides but rather pointing out something which has been brought up already by other race teams.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

spam firewall