Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR 2013 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,564 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Get rid of restrictor plates so all the cars arent bunched up togetherfor the duration of every race and they would eliminate this absurd "bump drafting" BS. OK, so a car going 225 might do an air flip and put the driver at risk.

Is there a catch fence that can 100% guarantee stopping all parts of a car going 225? The crash Saturday was at an estimated 175. If cars go 225 and go airborne the fence won't do much.

I don't see how letting the cars go 225 will stop them from being together on the track. The cars are virtually the same except for team setup ... All the Hendricks engine cars would be bunched up. All the Toyotas would be bunched up. All the Fords would be bunched up. Only the individual setups and driver fear level would lead to unbunching (the same as it is today).

I thought racing was about who is the fastest and best, not who can knock the other cars into a wall at the end of the race.

It is ... and you can be sure that all manufacturers will do their best to be fastest and best. Unrestricted you would see cars of all manufactures pushing 225 - and still bunched up - then wadded up - and hopefully not through the fence.

Never said the rule was written to give women an advantage but rather the rule was written with men in mind. I doubt anyone at the time ever thought a woman would some day be behind the wheel.

At what time? There were four female NASCAR drivers in 1949. Janet Guthrie raced in 1976. Patty Moise became the first to lead a Busch series race in 1986. And with the Drive for Diversity program in 2004 it was obvious that NASCAR was pushing to add female drivers (and other unrepresented groups).

NASCAR should have had the female driver in mind for a decade or more. For weight to become an issue NOW seems to be a Danica related issue.

You seem to misunderstand that I am not taking sides but rather pointing out something which has been brought up already by other race teams.

I'm sorry if you took my counter argument personally. I intended to counter the view expressed ... whether it be yours or the view of the competing race teams. If the other race teams think it is unfair that Danica weighs so little perhaps they can give Mark Martin a full time ride ... and tell Ryan Newman to lose some weight ... he's hurting his team.

Perhaps they need to adjust the weight adjustment and go another 40 pounds in each direction ... let Ryan drive a lighter car since he weighs more. There are other drivers over 180 who would benefit from a lighter car.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

perhaps they can give Mark Martin a full time ride ...

Wasn't it Mark Martin's choice to race a limited schedule?

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,564 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Wasn't it Mark Martin's choice to race a limited schedule?

He seems to be happy where he is ... of course that is ending this year and 2014 could be back to the rocking chair or more races. Time will tell.

#24 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Congratulations to Daytona 500 winner, Jimmie Johnson

Edited by fluffybear, 03 March 2013 - 05:52 PM.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#25 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Congratulations to Daytona 500 winner,

Spoiler

I was routing for
Spoiler

JACK,

#26 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

I was routing for Danica Patrick

I suspect many people were!

Edited by fluffybear, 03 March 2013 - 05:52 PM.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,564 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

She did well. Her fans should be happy. And she beat her boyfriend and fellow rookie of the year candidate.

#28 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

Yeah, there's been a lot of coverage of Danica. But I also remember there being constant coverage of Junior - and he's won one race in how many years driving premium equipment?

That's not to denigrate Dale Jr. - just to put in some perspective. Right or wrong, he gets coverage because he's popular. Well, Danica is in that same boat.

And there HAVE been women crew members. You might remember Shawna Robinson from some years ago (ran the #49 for BAM Racing in what was then Nextel Cup for a couple of years). When BAM went belly up, she eventually got a part-time Truck gig and they had one race (in texas if memory serves) with an all-female over-the-wall crew. Shawna later said she wasn't fond of that "publicity stunt".

#29 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I find the "Freight Train" style races to be very boring. The only time a driver gets a little out of line is to get some air to cool the engine. I guess it's kind of exciting when a driver makes the mistake of getting to far out of line and gets shuffled back a dozen or more places, but that doesn't happen to often. Yesterday, I was far more interested in the pit stop times than any action, or lack there of, happening on the track.

#30 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

When they were strung out in a single file about 25 cars in length.... Well, THAT I found boring. You *at least* have to be 2-wide to have something interesting going on.

#31 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Congratulations
Spoiler
on winning the Subway 400..

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#32 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Anyone having a problem with Raceview besides me ?

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,564 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Not a bad weekend for racing ... and it looks like the honeymoon is over for Ms Racer. :)

They still have to figure out that "Drivers start your engines" thing.

#34 OFFLINE   dslram

dslram

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

whos the favorite for Bristol??

#35 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think Kyle Bush or Tony Stewart will win at Bristol this weekend coming up.
Danica will either be many laps behind or wrecked before it is over.
I do like Danica and want her to do well but I just don't think she is the fighter necessary for a track like this.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#36 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

I doubt Stewart will win. SHR is probably the worst performer with the Gen 6 car of all the multi car teams.

#37 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

This is true, however, this is a half mile track, almost like a dirt track and that is Tony's kind of fun. I think this race will be more driver performance and less car performance than we have had to this point.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#38 OFFLINE   dslram

dslram

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I like Tony as well but this isnt his type of track and I would be very surprised if he won there, Kyle Busch is always tough at this track as is Jeff gordon

Im thinkin Brad may pull it off again.

I been to the nite race twice and and Im goin again in august!!

#39 OFFLINE   Neely8

Neely8

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I like Tony as well but this isnt his type of track and I would be very surprised if he won there, Kyle Busch is always tough at this track as is Jeff gordon

Im thinkin Brad may pull it off again.

I been to the nite race twice and and Im goin again in august!!

If you can get there by Thursday be sure to go about 50 miles south of Bristol for the show at the best dirt track I've ever been to, Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap. You won't be disappointed.

#40 OFFLINE   dslram

dslram

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

we will be there tuesday-------Ill have to look it up

always a good time there

Edited by dslram, 15 March 2013 - 04:21 PM.
forgot word

spam firewall