Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR 2013 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Anybody else seeing horrible PQ on Fox's race coverage today? I don't think it's a local issue...the commercials look fine. The race coverage looks like upconverted SD at best. Really fuzzy.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Its a shame Denny Hamlin was injured in the last lap crash. Looks like he will be out for awhile. I must have jinxed him because I chose him to win in my pool and my picks usually have something happen in the last few laps.

I sense Logano's peers are losing patience with him.

#43 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Its a shame Denny Hamlin was injured in the last lap crash. Looks like he will be out for awhile. I must have jinxed him because I chose him to win in my pool and my picks usually have something happen in the last few laps.

I sense Logano's peers are losing patience with him.

Funny thing, I was actually hoping Logano would pull off the win right up until the moment he hit Hamlin. That was just stupid. I get that it's the last lap and all, but he didn't have to hit him that hard. He had plenty of room to work with. I've seen countless drivers in that situation wiggle a little and fall in behind the other car. He had ample room to do that.

Now, the Tony Stewart thing...I'm a fan of Tony, but he's just wrong this time. Logano was just doing what had to be done. He was barely staying behind Kyle heading to the line.

As a Junior fan, I was just glad to see him rocket through the field in the last 10 or so laps. A few minutes before, I thought his day was done.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

Anyone who expected Joey and Denny to finish those last two laps was overly optimistic. The leaders wreck and the third car wins. And there's a fight. Shades of Daytona '79.

Denny was on Race Hub tonight (voice only). It is a shame that he got hurt and it appears that he will be out a few races (similar to Dale Jr and his concussion last year). We all like a good race ... and beating and banging door to door for the victory doesn't happen as often as it did in the past. But it isn't good when someone gets hurt and ruins their year. It was good hard racing. Both cars wrecked. If there were a safer barrier Denny would have been better off.

As far as Joey ... I have to agree with Roger Penske. Joey didn't do anything wrong to Denny or Smoke.

Edited by James Long, 26 March 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#45 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Didn't Greg Moore die from a roof impact first crash in a similar location at Fontana?
Much more violent wreck, but still a broken back isn't fun.
I can't believe they don't pad those inside walls. At least they finally
got an exciting finish at that track.

Usually that is the most boring track in America. Maybe the world.
And if you sit up high where you can see good, the restrooms are 10 stories down a narrow metal scaffolding.
I went one year when the temperature was 106. I turn down free tickets every year after that.

#46 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

Speaking of not going back to attend a race, did you notice the race at Bristol the stands were half empty?

I think the local hotels charging $400 per night has something to do with it.

I have never been to a race, but have looked at prices a few times and the accomodation costs killed the idea for me every time.

#47 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:56 AM

On Tony Stewart: Disclaimer - Tony's my favorite driver. I think what Tony was incensed about was that he had started passing Logano and Logano kept coming down. In other words, Logano's block was later than it should have been (Tony's splitter was passing Logano's bumper). He was literally running Stewart into the grass. Tony had to do more than just "check up" because he lost NINETEEN spots and THAT was what he was REALLY mad about. He went from 3rd to 22nd.

Seeing that bleep-riddled interview was priceless.

Bristol.. Man, I though the Cup race was a Busch race from the 1990s it was so empty. They CLAIM there were over 100,000 there but given that many whole section looked to be at 5-10% occupied, I can't see how that was true. they must be including giveaway tickets that never got used in that total.

#48 OFFLINE   dslram

dslram

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Lets not forget Tony always wants others to do what he says not what he does
'DEGA 2012-------He is one of the best blockers their is and when he doesnt get his way he is known to get upset------read the article about him in Australia last year midget racing, he was asked to leave the country and did so with a black eye.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I think what Tony was incensed about was that he had started passing Logano and Logano kept coming down. In other words, Logano's block was later than it should have been (Tony's splitter was passing Logano's bumper). He was literally running Stewart into the grass.

Joey's left side tires did not go below the white line (on the line, not below). There was room below the white line for Tony. Tony may have taken out an orange cone had he gone below the line, but he would not have been in the grass. Tony's right tires ran the white line as he approached the cone (at pit exit).

Posted Image
Image from the FOX Sports replay

Kenseth a few cars back in the 20 followed the same line as Tony. Somehow Kenseth ended up 7th and Tony ended up 22nd?

I'm just glad that Tony didn't take out Joey and wad up the field. It probably would have been better for Denny (an accident on the restart would have changed the outcome of the race and prevented the last lap battle). But Tony is wrong about the block.

When I first saw the fight I thought Tony was mad at Joey for wrecking Denny. Perhaps that would have been an honorable thing to do. But it was just about a "block" where the blocking driver did not go on to the apron?

I like Tony Stewart, but the name calling and whiny complaints do not reflect well on a champion. Perhaps nothing said within 10 minutes of a wreck or on track incident should be held against a driver ... but upon further review, it was just as the announcers said. That's just racing.

BTW: In case anyone has forgotten, congrats to Kyle for winning the race and to Dale Jr for becoming the points leader.

#50 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

Kenseth didn't have to check up the way Tony did.

And, yeah, I initially thought Tony was going after Logano because of the Hamlin wreck.

BTW - it's a penalty if Tony goes lower and hits that cone. You can go under the white line. You can't hit a cone.

In addition to Kyle Busch's performance being overlooked - how about the racing those last couple dozen laps? I've *never* seen *anything* at Fontana that good or that exciting.

#51 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

If Tony would have had the speed at the end to stay on Joey's bumper he could have went around as Joey and Denny started bumping. He just did not have the speed to keep up. All 3 of their cars are having problems with keeping up ever since the Daytona race.
I was / am disappointed that he whimpered about something he does all the time. He needs to look in the mirror and say those things to himself.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#52 OFFLINE   dslram

dslram

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have to agree, this California race was the best that they ever had and thats how it should be-------3 and 4 wide the whole race.

It is unfortunate Hamlin wreck as I think if he didnt and they (logano & hamlin) were sideways crossing the line it would have been great.

I think with the current circumstances for Logano he will have a tough road ahead of him------and he shouldnt but that is the current mindset of the garage

I am going to the Michigan June race this year and with the new surface I will be curious as what the speeds will be with the new car

#53 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

I have to agree, this California race was the best that they ever had and thats how it should be-------3 and 4 wide the whole race.

It is unfortunate Hamlin wreck as I think if he didnt and they (logano & hamlin) were sideways crossing the line it would have been great.

I think with the current circumstances for Logano he will have a tough road ahead of him------and he shouldnt but that is the current mindset of the garage

I am going to the Michigan June race this year and with the new surface I will be curious as what the speeds will be with the new car

I went to both MIS races last year (the first races with the new surface) and the racing sucked due to the single groove aero push. The speed increase wasn't noticeable because they were only less than 5% faster than previous.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#54 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

To me, Fontana was the 2nd most boring track on the circuit 2nd only to Michigan.

....until this year.

Maybe the new Gen 6 cars will make Michigan a treat to watch. I know I'll be tuned in to give it a chance.

#55 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm not a big fan of NASCAR & didn't watch this weeks coverage, but was this story mentioned at all during the race? http://www.dallasnew...altercation.ece

Please, no gun debate.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

I'm not a big fan of NASCAR & didn't watch this weeks coverage, but was this story mentioned at all during the race? http://www.dallasnew...altercation.ece

Please, no gun debate.

There is no need to mention a fan injury or death that is not connected to the race. The race coverage is coverage of the race ... not the venue, If someone climed the fence and jumped off the back of the grandstands it would receive equal coverage. Unless it affected the race (climbing the race track fence - which would likely draw a caution or red flag, or running out on the racetrack from the infield with the same results) it is not race coverage.

When did the shooting take place? When was the body discovered? After the race?

#57 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

There is no need to mention a fan injury or death that is not connected to the race. The race coverage is coverage of the race ... not the venue, If someone climed the fence and jumped off the back of the grandstands it would receive equal coverage. Unless it affected the race (climbing the race track fence - which would likely draw a caution or red flag, or running out on the racetrack from the infield with the same results) it is not race coverage.

When did the shooting take place? When was the body discovered? After the race?

You don't think a sport should mention a fan who shot himself in the infield during an altercation? I'd assume any sport would mention it and at least offer condolences. NASCAR events are weekend activities and it happened Friday night.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

You don't think a sport should mention a fan who shot himself in the infield during an altercation?

No, I don't. Unless it affected the race it is not race coverage.

There have been previous fan incidents that have been appropriately covered ... for example the fan that was killed by lightning last year. Coverage was appropriate as it raised the question of fan safety and the responsibility of NASCAR and the venue for protecting the fans.

Alcohol was a factor in this incident. Perhaps alcohol should not be permitted at NASCAR events? Or is your intent to raise the issue you cannot discuss here?

I'd assume any sport would mention it and at least offer condolences. NASCAR events are weekend activities and it happened Friday night.

Rereading the article you linked "The incident happened late in the Spring Cup race." That was Saturday Night.
Perhaps your facts are wrong on how the suicide occurred as well (during an altrication)?

No lap number is given. Late in the race could be late enough that word did not reach the broadcasters until after the end of the broadcast. And even if it did, how does a fan suicide at ANY sporting venue that does not affect the game bear mentioning?

Your assumption on other sports is likely incorrect as well. Unless it affects the game you're not likely to know about any suicide or injury at any sporting event.

#59 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Another article on the incident:

http://www.dailymail...e-argument.html

The death occurred Saturday Night at about 10:30pm (I assume ET since the article claims the race started at 7:30pm).

#60 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm not saying they should devote full coverage; just a quick blurb. I just asked if it received coverage. The article was poor and has been changed. It says...

Fort Worth police have said a man who was camping in the infield died of a "self-inflicted injury" after getting into an argument with other campers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...