Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASCAR 2013 Discussion

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

I do not believe that the Fox broadcasters knew of the death before the end of the race. Since the web articles were not published until Sunday I would not expect Fox to have the details Saturday night. It would have been inappropriate to mention the incident while the facts were still developing on Saturday night. And unless it affected the event ... caused a caution or red flag or involved someone known from NASCAR ... it did not bear mentioning. And I'd be surprised if a mention would have been made on any other sporting event coverage unless it distrupted the event or was a person connected to the sport.

The irony of a gun suicide at an NRA sponsored race will probably be the fodder for political sites for a couple of days before they move on to the next story. We're not a political site so let's get back to racing.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks James. As I said, the original article was poorly written and had changed. Knowing it happened later in the race and not Friday night, clears up a lot.

I'm glad no one else was hurt and didn't affect the race. I tried asking friends who are NASCAR fans, but they were all at the track without Fox coverage and in the stands.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#63 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

During Nascar Victory Lane there was a cluster of emergency vehicle lights in the infield near the backstretch. Probably where the incident occured. But still too early to know what was going on and what to say. Perhaps it will be mentioned on Race Hub.

• sigma1914 likes this
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#64 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Lots of penalties lately.

I wonder if Keseloswki enjoys the taste of his own feet.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

So ... when a driver is suspended for a week he doesn't drive. But when a crew chief is suspended he can still do his job via Skype from a remote command center?

I would like to see this addressed by NASCAR ... I see it as the same as Joey's tweeting last year. When he first did it there was a certain amount of shock that he had a phone in his car during the race. There was no immediate penalty (even though a rule about non-analog devices was broken) but he was warned and later in the year he got nailed when NASCAR could prove he had a phone during the race. I'd like to see the same for the 20 team.

When NASCAR says a person is suspended for a race it should mean he can not participate in that race.
  • fluffybear likes this

#66 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,720 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Jimmie Spencer on the Speed Channel said they should have any or all suspended persons on the site and all in a room together with no communications with the rest of the team members.

I agree with this.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#67 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,029 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

When NASCAR says a person is suspended for a race it should mean he can not participate in that race.

and that is the way it should be.   Allowing communication with the team from an off-site location is making a mockery of the rules and I personally believe should lead to original penalties being reinstated.   

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#68 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

Is it any different from the baseball manager who's been ejected by an umpire "running" the team from the clubhouse?

Let's say I'm a crew chief.  You've suspended me.  I'm not getting paid for that race.  I'm sitting at home.  Are you saying you want me to willfully imprison myself in one of YOUR facilities?

Talking on the phone isn't the same as being there.  The crew chief can't review footage of pit stops, can't see things for himself (to make judgement calls on things like tire wear)  and, at best, could only talk to one person at a time.  He certainly can't talk to other spotters the way he can at the track.   ...and keep in mind there already *is* a qualified (if you're a top team) replacement sitting on the box who was most likely trained by the suspended chief.

Unless someone comes out with some kind of virtual reality setup that can *truly* make a mockery of a suspension, I say leave things as they are.

#69 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,720 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Sitting in a "Command Center" with several TVs, I-Pads, etc they can communicate almost the exact same as being there except that they are now sitting in an air conditioned room instead of on top of the pit box.

However it is achieved, the crew and driver should not have any contact with the person that is suspended.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#70 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Let's say I'm a crew chief.  You've suspended me.  I'm not getting paid for that race.  I'm sitting at home.  Are you saying you want me to willfully imprison myself in one of YOUR facilities?

Payment is up to the team, not NASCAR. Do you really believe Radcliff did not get paid for his work last weekend helping Kenseth win? Do you really believe that the 2 and 22 chiefs participating in the race via team radio from "the strawberry stand" did not get paid?

In my opinion it comes down to honesty. NASCAR asked these people to sit out the race. They didn't. As far as I am concerned, the suspended members have not served their penalties. (NASCAR disagrees.)

The crew chief can't review footage of pit stops, can't see things for himself (to make judgement calls on things like tire wear)  and, at best, could only talk to one person at a time.  He certainly can't talk to other spotters the way he can at the track.   ...and keep in mind there already *is* a qualified (if you're a top team) replacement sitting on the box who was most likely trained by the suspended chief.

They did the best they could ... the 2 and 22 teams used live video chat to show their suspended crew live video of the splitter wear and tire wear during practice. And they were close enough to the track that they COULD speak to the "crew chief" on the box and the spotters live and in real time.

The "trained" replacement is a good idea ... but this goes beyond a refresher/crash course in making race decisions then walking away to serve the penalty. The suspended members PARTICIPATED in the race with live coaching.

Unless someone comes out with some kind of virtual reality setup that can *truly* make a mockery of a suspension, I say leave things as they are.

They are pretty close. Don't forget that those crew chiefs make most of their decisions from the top of the box with input from their crew. They are not the ones looking at the suspension directly and making a decision based on what they see. The only time a crew chief gets that close to the car during a race is if it is off the track behind pit wall.

Suspensions should be served by not participating.

spam firewall