Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Freeview: HD Extra Package

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

why didn't anyone tell me? unless i missed the thread.

Freeview of the HD Extra Package was turned on February 20 and runs through the 27th, 2013. channels 560-568.

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010 and 2012 World Champions San Francisco Giants

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

It should have been in your messages from directv. I get these channels free for 3 or 6 months (don't remember) caused they screwed up my install date and missed it and had me wait another day. I'm not impressed. In nearly 2 months of having these channels I have watched maybe 1 or 2 movies on them and 1 concert. Of course the premiums aren't much better I will cancel all of them after my free 3 months of them. Maybe watch 1 movie every 2 weeks and that's with 45 premium channels. And most of those movies are movies we have seen before, just not for a while.

#3 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

You can get 3 free months if you sign up for it.

#4 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

You can get 3 free months if you sign up for it.

True but interestingly my three months was just up. I tired to cancel online and it pops up a message I have to wait 30 days or I can call a cust service rep and have it removed for a fee So really you have to plan to pay for 1 month. It didn't used to be that way. I had the 3 month trial once before and I cancelled it right away.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,892 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

And the system doesn't keep you from re subscribing to the three month trial, hasn't since the package started...

#6 OFFLINE   jackal24

jackal24

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

True but interestingly my three months was just up. I tired to cancel online and it pops up a message I have to wait 30 days or I can call a cust service rep and have it removed for a fee So really you have to plan to pay for 1 month. It didn't used to be that way. I had the 3 month trial once before and I cancelled it right away.

Why would you have to pay a fee if you call?

#7 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

i was able to see a few good movies like Chinatown, Manhattan and The Natural but this is not a package to pay for.

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010 and 2012 World Champions San Francisco Giants

#8 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

why didn't anyone tell me? unless i missed the thread.

Freeview of the HD Extra Package was turned on February 20 and runs through the 27th, 2013. channels 560-568.

yeah, I missed this one too. It would be great if free previews were stickied in this forum.

#9 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Suggestion for the morons at D*... call it a failure and roll these channels into premier or whatever...

Don't want to re-flame the "a la carte et al" arguments but this is a great example of why that kind of model works. Small bundle of things that aren't very good with a price tag that is far beyond their worth. So they fail. Dopes that own those networks and want to charge so much are doing nothing but asking for their own demise. A lot more things on D* should be like this...

#10 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

This package is the best bargain on DirecTV.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#11 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Suggestion for the morons at D*... call it a failure and roll these channels into premier or whatever...

Don't want to re-flame the "a la carte et al" arguments but this is a great example of why that kind of model works. Small bundle of things that aren't very good with a price tag that is far beyond their worth. So they fail. Dopes that own those networks and want to charge so much are doing nothing but asking for their own demise. A lot more things on D* should be like this...

This package has been around long enough that if it were a complete "failure" it would have failed or changed by now. The point to these channels were that they are HD-only and folks who have SD TVs and equipment can't get them. As a result D* chose to make it an add-on for HD subscribers, so the SD folks who can't get them wouldn't have to subsidize HD viewers.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

PalladiaHD makes it almost worth it by itself for all the concerts....What is a little amazing is people seem quite upset if they dont know or miss the free preview because they wanted to watch "this or that" on one of the channels in the Extra Pack, but many of those same people turn around and say "There isn't anything worth paying for on any of those channels". Many will also try their darndest to figure out a way to be on the perpetual 3 month trial. SO its obviously worth something to go through the effort to try to get it for free and keep it for free, but you probably spent more time trying to get it for free than if you just paid the $5/month. Is your time worth nothing? My time is worth alot more than what they charge for this package, so I subscribe.

#13 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Since they have to offer it free almost constantly then it probably has limited success.

But that's ok. Those that find it of value and think the cost is reasonable are welcome to it. As I said, a lot more things on D* should be like this.

BTW, there are a couple of "HD-only" that are in the current packages.

spam firewall