Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Distant Network Stations Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

The local ABC and Fox affiliates in the Charleston/Huntington WV market (owned by the same company) have been running crawlers saying beginning March 1 if you have DirecTV you probably won't be getting these stations.

Assuming they don't settle before then.....

Based on distance/terrain I used to be able to get the NY DNS stations. Does anyone know if I would be allowed to receive them again if DirecTV doesn't carry a station because of lack of a carriage contract??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

The local ABC and Fox affiliates in the Charleston/Huntington WV market (owned by the same company) have been running crawlers saying beginning March 1 if you have DirecTV you probably won't be getting these stations.

Assuming they don't settle before then.....

Based on distance/terrain I used to be able to get the NY DNS stations. Does anyone know if I would be allowed to receive them again if DirecTV doesn't carry a station because of lack of a carriage contract??

There are a few options, one is DirecTV could see if there are ABC & FOX stations that are from another DMA that are also considered Significantly Viewed in your county and import them in or I believe once the stations are dropped you can apply for a waiver for the DNS feeds. The problem with the waivers is the stations that are running the crawl are the ones that have to approve the waiver and that is not likely to happen. This is the ugly truth we all face with local stations asking for massive price increases at each new negotiation.

Also another option is to get an outdoor antenna and a AM21. With a AM21 you can hook the antenna to it and it to the DVR and still record your missing local channels to the DVR. I hope you dont lose your channels but if you do, there are options.

The Significantly Viewed list by state and then couny is on the FCC website. If you provide your state and county I would be happy to look up and see what options you have. It wouldnt hurt to start calling those options trying to get them on DirecTV now. My County has all big 4 from my own DMA and CBS as well as ABC from a neighboring DMA as the stations are considered significantly viewed. Before the neighboring ones were added I reached out to them both to let them know we wanted them here. Not saying it was all me but I have no reason to think they were exploring that option before I called. I am also trying to get the other two of the big four from another DMA added as well. Once is already on the significantly viewed list and is working on it and the other has to get on the list first.

According to the FCC they can get on that list by reqesting it and then meeting a few criteria. I plan to reach out to that last one next week and appeeal to the GM to get his station on the Significantly Viewed list. I live in Oklahoma and our locals come from Kansas & Missouri. Its a little easier to tell the in state DMA we want their channels. I am happy to assist in any way I can. I study this part of Satellite service on a frequent basis and try to keep up with whats going on.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#3 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to receive them again if DirecTV doesn't carry a station because of lack of a carriage contract??

legally no. Because there is a disagreement in most cases you cannot get the distants. Before locals were launched there you probably qualified.

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

legally no. Because there is a disagreement in most cases you cannot get the distants. Before locals were launched there you probably qualified.

Directv's site allows anyone to apply for a waiver for any of the big four you do not currently get.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#5 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

while you can ask for a waiver the odds of it being approved are rather slim ;)
(as there is a network affiliate in that area)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...