Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet/DSL/Wireless Router Help Needed!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I use AT&T DSL, connected to a Westel modem, for internet access with a Linksys wireless router/bridge. I use it for wireless printing, one other notebook computer, DirecTv On Demand and Netflix streaming. It has worked flawlessly for years. A couple of days ago I was attempting to install a Linksys wireless game adapter. Not only did that fail but, most importantly, the router no longer connects to the internet. I can see the connection and it shows it available. It will not connect. I can directly connect to the modem and my internet access is fine. I tried a different Linksys wireless router with the same results. Clearly, in my ignorance, I've screwed something up and at a loss as how to correct it. Online chat with AT&T and Cisco/Linksys didn't help. Calling any all gurus for help in getting me out of this briar patch. Help greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Can you open your router's home page (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)?

You might want to try resetting the router to its default settings. Your owners manual will show you how do do this)

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

You might want to try resetting the router to its default settings. Your owners manual will show you how do do this)

Easiest way to do a reset is a 30-30-30. Hold the reset button in for 30 seconds. While still holding the reset button, disconnect the power for 30 seconds. While still holding the reset button, plug the power back in and continue to hold the reset button for 30 seconds.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I appreciate all the suggestions. So far, none have made a difference. I've tried doing the router setup multiple times with the same result. It stalls and given an error code 321 indicating the ethernet cable is not connected between the router and the modem. I've switched out to three different cables with no change. Changing to a different router didn't help. I'm at a complete loss.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

What is the WAN setting on the router? I think it should be something like 'Automatic' or 'DHCP' and you should be getting an external address, something very different from 192.168.x.x The ATT support should be able to tell you what address you should get -- or it should be close to what your PC directly connected gets.

When I had DSL, I had my ATT modem in 'bridge' or 'transparent' mode and my router WAN setting to PPOE and provided the ATT credentials, generally an email address and phone number or other password.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I appreciate all the suggestions. So far, none have made a difference. I've tried doing the router setup multiple times with the same result. It stalls and given an error code 321 indicating the ethernet cable is not connected between the router and the modem. I've switched out to three different cables with no change. Changing to a different router didn't help. I'm at a complete loss.

Where is this error code coming from and what do you mean that you tried the router setup multiple times? Have you performed the steps to reset your router to its default settings like I stated?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall