Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Going with a new Hopper and 2 Joey's thanks to you all

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corwynder

Corwynder

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Ah, I may not get on this forum much but I'm glad it's here. Thanks to it I now feel confident getting the Hopper. Found I could purchase a Hopper with Sling and 2 Joeys for about $360. Considering I'll own them I like this idea so I won't have to resign a 2 year contract. Currently I'm running a 722 and a 625 and the dvr fees hit me for about $24 and It looks like a Hopper and 2 Joey's will be about the same. With a little research I found I needed a Single Node and 1 tap. I sooo look forward to the switch. Thank you everyone for all the questions and answers i could peruse before I commited. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

The dvr fee is $7 and the additional receiver should be ether $14 or $17 (I'm not sure which the 625 is) to total $21 or $24 which is how you get to that total. Dvr fee with the Hopper/Joey will be $10 and the two Joeys will be $7 each and will also total $24. I'm not sure if you had both the 722 and the 625 in dual user mode or not since you didn't list the number of tv's, but you will be losing one tuner since the Hopper only has 3 (PTAT may be good enough depending on your viewing habits but you may run into some conflicts if you didn't research enough). Let us know how it works out for you.

#3 OFFLINE   Corwynder

Corwynder

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Sorry, both the 625 and 722 were in dual tuner mode with only the 722 hooked to 2 tvs. I own the 625 and pay $17 in dvr fees for it and only $7 in dvr fees for the 722 which is leased. So by my figuring my dvr fees will stay the same. Yes, I know I'll be losing a tuner but most of what we record is on the major networks. When there is a possible problem I've already warned the kids not to try to record 2 shows at once or I'd put a stop to it. Maybe farther down the road I'll go ahead and get another Hopper but right now I don't think it's necessary.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like this setup should be ok for your use then. Good Luck.

#5 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Sorry, both the 625 and 722 were in dual tuner mode with only the 722 hooked to 2 tvs. I own the 625 and pay $17 in dvr fees for it and only $7 in dvr fees for the 722 which is leased. So by my figuring my dvr fees will stay the same. Yes, I know I'll be losing a tuner but most of what we record is on the major networks. When there is a possible problem I've already warned the kids not to try to record 2 shows at once or I'd put a stop to it. Maybe farther down the road I'll go ahead and get another Hopper but right now I don't think it's necessary.

Actually to be correct you are paying a $7 DVR fee for the ACCOUNT and you are paying an ADDITIONAL RECEIVER fee of $17 for the 625.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#6 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

For only $50-100 more you'll save yourself a lot of trouble with conflicts with 2 Hoppers. How much are they asking for 1H/3J? $0? Is this the Hopper with Sling or the 1st-gen?

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#7 OFFLINE   Corwynder

Corwynder

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Actually I own the Hopper with Sling and both Joeys. The guy that activated the Hopper for me put it down as leased and I ended up giving Dish an email about that. Setup was easy enough it took longer to activate the 2 Joeys then anything else. They did their startup routine and then the final step was to activate. They both made it look like they were doing that automatically but after 30 minutes they were still stuck on activating screen so I chatted with tech support and they got them both activated for me. When they heard I was upset my Hopper is listed at leased they made sure to put both Joeys as purchased.

#8 OFFLINE   yellohj

yellohj

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

@Corwynder,
That is a great observation- I might consider buying too, so I do not lock my self into a contract- been with Dish for 8 years. I am considering moving from 922, 612s to H/Js

#9 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

corwynder does that mean you still lease the hopper but own the joeys? wouldnt it be better to own the hopper and lease the joeys or better yet own them all?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...