Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So, where is the dish REALLY pointing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

People here have explained to me why the dish isn't pointing where one would think, because the signal is being reflected at an angle to the LNB.

It took forever for this to sink in, and I just found an illustrated web page that shows and explains this perfectly:

http://www.satsig.ne...offset-dish.htm

The dish they show is a "22 degree offset dish". Can anyone clarify what the figure would be for a DTV oval Slimline dish?

Along with this, I found a very handy, and free, utility for my Android phone that helps with this:

https://play.google....ugmentedreality

...now that I've got my compass calibrated, it seems to be working just fine!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Actually I think that chart may have been made to describe D*. The offset is somewhere in that 22 degree area. I think with the Multisat Dishes it a little harder to say exactly compared to the old 18x20 single sat dishes, but it's not too far off -- 22-25 degree offset

#3 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Mike,
Thank you very much for the url to Satellite AR. I downloaded it this morning and it really works. This will be super when we are on the road in our RV to check for line of sight. What a wonderful find.

Again, thank you.
Bob

#4 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I'm glad - it's nice to be able to contribute something to this forum, after all the help I've been getting.

You might also want to check out SatFinder (this is the free version, but there is also a "pro" version):

https://play.google....satfinder&hl=en

It too uses artificial reality to show where the satellites are, but it's far more complicated (at least for me), and I haven't yet figured out how to use it, even after reading all the detailed information on their web page:

http://esys.com.pl/satfinder/?lang=en

#5 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

What is trickier to estimate or calculate is the azimuth differential between the apparent horizontal "aim" of the dish, as perceived as the perpendicular of its backplane, and of each satellite signal path of a dish that has been rotated to the local skew angle.

Edited by AntAltMike, 28 February 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Mike,
Sorry for not responding earlier, but I just got around to checking out your second suggestion. This is great too. I just downloaded it and checked it against a website version. Both have the same readings and I don't have to enter my address since it is picked up by the GPS on the phone. This will be very nice to have on the road.
Bob

Protected By... spam firewall...And...