Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

satellite dish aiming

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mikemyers

mikemyers

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with the threads I posted here about getting my satellite system working again. 

One person advised me about the DirecTV "sled mount", a non-penetrating mount.  The DirecTV installer charged me $100 for it, but DTV credited my account for that amount, so the bottom line is I'm up and running again.

The discussions here were very useful.  Using the "satellite finder" software for my Android phone was especially handy, as I found that the places I wanted to put my dish wouldn't work anyway, no "line of sight". 

I can take a photo of the installation, if anyone wants to see it.  The good thing is that it works fine, but the bad part is it takes up a large part of my balcony.  All in all though, I'm pretty pleased with the end result, but if I ever update my DVR in the future, it will NEVER be for a DVR that stops working from being disconnected.  DirecTV receivers never did that before - back then, I bought them, owned them, and the one I still have is still playing the shows I recorded, many years after it was replaced by more modern (HD) gear.  I'm beginning to think that I need to find a way to store my shows on my computer somehow, so they won't all vanish in a flash of ASCII smoke should the hard drive stop working.....

Anyway, the point of this response is to say thank you to everyone!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Sure, post a picture.

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,769 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

I can take a photo of the installation, if anyone wants to see it. 

Sure why not…

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Yes, by all means post a photo;

As to the other issue however, you can forget about any idea of somehow saving your shows to a PC. The recorded program files on the DVR HDD are encrypted using the receiver ID (RID) as a key which essentially marries them permanently to the receiver.

Edited by HoTat2, 18 April 2013 - 07:11 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...