Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS in Central PA is being Dropped By Directv

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

CBS has been using its scrolling marquee telling everone to call Directv because as of March 1st it will no longer be rebroadcasted ! I went to WHP21 CBS and posted Great ! Why do I want Directv paying you ? and then charge me ? You are OTA and want to double dip ? I hope all the companies that pay for advertising on that channel leave when they see the market share is larger on the other channels. I will just go purchase a AM21 duh !

I know people that live in the country or the mountains cant receive signal. But the rest of us offset the cost of that ! The OTA should pay them to rebroadcast that so the Vendors that pay commercial time get the biggest bang for ther buck !

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,555 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

That's a Sinclair channel.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=212971

It may be free OTA, but the only channels that pay DirecTV are ones like the shopping channels.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

CBS has been using its scrolling marquee telling everone to call Directv because as of March 1st it will no longer be rebroadcasted ! I went to WHP21 CBS and posted Great ! Why do I want Directv paying you ? and then charge me ? You are OTA and want to double dip ? I hope all the companies that pay for advertising on that channel leave when they see the market share is larger on the other channels. I will just go purchase a AM21 duh !

I know people that live in the country or the mountains cant receive signal. But the rest of us offset the cost of that ! The OTA should pay them to rebroadcast that so the Vendors that pay commercial time get the biggest bang for ther buck !

Several important points:
1) DIRECTV is not running the crawl, that is run by the station itself. (I have the same crawls, by the way.)
2) DIRECTV isn't "dropping" any locals. They are adding them where they can. Once added, only the local can tell DIRECTV to turn them off. DIRECTV won't so long as negotiations continue.
3) And DIRECTV won't turn it off before the contract runs out. (Unless there is a clause where the station can tell DIRECTV to turn if off before the contract finishes.)
4) Sinclair has been doing this to all the distributors for a few years now. Local cable companies, large cable companies, Dish Network, and now DIRECTV. Very large price increases, which of course has to be passed on to us.

So what I did was call Sinclair corp HQ at their listed number:

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, Maryland 21030
410-568-1500 (Main Telephone)
410-568-1533 (Main Fax)

Monday I'll be calling my local station as well.

As has been mentioned, this is already covered: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=212971 . Let's move our discussion there.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

The paying public would rally behind Cable, Dish and Directv insupport not to pay for local OTA. The only ones that benefit are the ones in rural areas and I bet the companies that pay for advertising want those people to see it also. They should want it Re-broadcasted since it cost Cable,Dish and Directv bandwidth to do so. :nono:

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#5 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,082 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Monday I'll be calling my local station as well.

Call their local advertisers as well. The idea that the local advertisers can lose X number of eyeballs gets their attention.

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...