Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get significantly viewed dma stations added

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

According to the fcc database Ashtabula County OH has 3 stations from the Erie DMA listed as Significantly viewed. How would I go about getting them added to my local lineup?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

According to the Directv Website they should be added automatically. Use the search tool at the link below and see what it indicates.

http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200076

The FCC list was updated in January 2013. It may take a while to get it done especially IF your area is on a different spot beam than Erie. I would inquire about your situation via email to Directv. I doubt that you will find a CSR that would be able to tell you what is going on.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#3 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Actually the website indicates they will be added automatically with your local channels IF DIRECTV CARRIES THE CHANNEL IN YOUR AREA. My impression is that very few significanly viewed chnnels are actually offered on DirecTV.

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Actually the website indicates they will be added automatically with your local channels IF DIRECTV CARRIES THE CHANNEL IN YOUR AREA. My impression is that very few significanly viewed chnnels are actually offered on DirecTV.

DireTV does not offer alot of Significantly Viewed channels but that apears to be changing a little over time. I think in alot of circumances the Significatly Viewed channels could be from a larger DMA that they do offer allowing them to import it into a market mising an affiliate for any reason.

Just to clarify something ealier, a waiver does not have to have an approval from the DMA affiliate. If they dont approve it after30 days the law says its automatically approved.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Just a guess is that with using spot beams for the local channels they might just feel that they don't have the proper amount of signal reaching the neighboring DMA to make it reliable.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   John R. Metzger

John R. Metzger

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

In Mifflin County, PA if Sinclair pulls WHP-TV 21 (CBS from Harrisburg) perhaps DireTV should talk to the powers that be at WTAJ (CBS from Altoona) which is listed as significantly viewed in Mifflin County. There are a lot of people here who refuse to sign up for either Direct or Dish because of the inablility to get WTAJ which has historically been the most popular channel in the area because they have been carried for years on every cable system and because they provide far more local news than can be gotten from WHP. Just to clarify, this would not work for every county in the Harrisburg - Lancaster DMA but it would work for Mifflin County.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Just a guess is that with using spot beams for the local channels they might just feel that they don't have the proper amount of signal reaching the neighboring DMA to make it reliable.

Shouldn't be a problem in most areas. They do a horrible job with significantly viewed. I live between Baltimore and Washington and I get Baltimore only. Most DC stations are about 20 miles away but they don't give them to me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Shouldn't be a problem in most areas. They do a horrible job with significantly viewed. I live between Baltimore and Washington and I get Baltimore only. Most DC stations are about 20 miles away but they don't give them to me.

Sounds like a medium antenna would do you some good.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   paulsonj72

paulsonj72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts
  • LocationExtreme West-Central MN

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

It would be nice to get significantly viwed where I live. We have one significantly viewed channel from Sioux Falls SD and we do get that station on our cable system. We basically kept our cable becuase having the Siox Falls station allows us to keep abreast of severe weather in South Dakota as it moves our way. We are in the MSP DMA but are much closer to Sioux Falls. WE live just into Minnesota on the MN/SD border and are in the MSP DMA

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Sounds like a medium antenna would do you some good.

I don't get a lot. Ground floor condo. But not the point. The point is that directv does none of the significantly viewed here.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Some of it could be on the local stations or just DirecTV not pushing for it enough. Here in Monroe County, PA we get 90s on all of the transponders used by the Philly and NYC locals and we still don't have any neighboring locals. Heck the significantly viewed NYC stations for our area (WCBS, WNBC and WNYW) are actually on the Conus beam since they just remap the 390s to the local numbers for them.

#12 OFFLINE   Smush401

Smush401

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Some of it could be on the local stations or just DirecTV not pushing for it enough. Here in Monroe County, PA we get 90s on all of the transponders used by the Philly and NYC locals and we still don't have any neighboring locals. Heck the significantly viewed NYC stations for our area (WCBS, WNBC and WNYW) are actually on the Conus beam since they just remap the 390s to the local numbers for them.

I hate that their two sets of rules for cable versus DTV. RCN has both Philly and NY FOX, CW and MY Network but not DTV. Why I know for a fact that I can get the NY spot beam in Lehigh Valley so why cant we get the duel locals? Stinks

#13 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I don't get a lot. Ground floor condo. But not the point. The point is that directv does none of the significantly viewed here.

So wierd.. I remember when i was growing up in that Area (Rockville then later Annapolis) local cable stations provided feeds for both cities. I always preferred watching the DC stations... Would drive me nuts to not have them if I still lived there.

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

The best way to get these added is to contact the station you are wanting and talk with the GM. Let them know that you want to get their station in your DMA and that they should be able to strike a deal with DirecTV to get it added under the significantly viewed rules and that they wont be subject to blackout restrictions. Let me know if you have any questions or need help. I would be willing to make some calls if needed.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   Smush401

Smush401

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Not too mention the DTV significantly viewed tool doesn't match up to the FCC List.
http://transition.fc...tions010213.pdf

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

The best way to get these added is to contact the station you are wanting and talk with the GM. Let them know that you want to get their station in your DMA and that they should be able to strike a deal with DirecTV to get it added under the significantly viewed rules and that they wont be subject to blackout restrictions. Let me know if you have any questions or need help. I would be willing to make some calls if needed.

I'm not that hung up on it. But thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Here is the FCC's Significantly Viewed channels list.

FCC’s Significantly Viewed TV Stations List

IIUC, 47 U.S.C. § 340©(2) only provides that Satellite providers permitted to carry significantly viewed locals...not that they have to.

The law...

47 U.S.C. § 340©(2) - § 340. Significantly viewed signals permitted to
be carried

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 27 February 2013 - 06:37 AM.
added a link to the law

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Here is the FCC's Significantly Viewed channels list.

FCC’s Significantly Viewed TV Stations List

IIUC, 47 U.S.C. § 340©(2) only provides that Satellite providers permitted to carry significantly viewed locals...not that they have to.

The law...

47 U.S.C. § 340©(2) - § 340. Significantly viewed signals permitted to
be carried

Mike

So I guess the question is, If I call Directv would they offer them to me?

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

So I guess the question is, If I call Directv would they offer them to me?

DirecTV is not where you need to start. You need to start with the stations that are on that list you want. Call their GM and let them know what their upside is to adding as Significantly Viewed and that you want their channel. If they are interested, they can make it happen with DirecTV. Its much easier for them to make the call to their direct contact and make it happen then it is to get ahold of someone at DirecTV that cares about significantly viewed in your county.

Happy to help and let me know if you have questions.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#20 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

DirecTV is not where you need to start. You need to start with the stations that are on that list you want. Call their GM and let them know what their upside is to adding as Significantly Viewed and that you want their channel. If they are interested, they can make it happen with DirecTV. Its much easier for them to make the call to their direct contact and make it happen then it is to get ahold of someone at DirecTV that cares about significantly viewed in your county.

Happy to help and let me know if you have questions.

Well I do have a few I would Like that are on the list for my county, Cable carries even more then is even on the list.

So call the GM of the stations?

There are 3 NY stations I would love to have back.

I would Love to have WNBC 4 , WABC 7, Fox 5, Even WPVI 6 from Philly. I loved having them on cable.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

Protected By... spam firewall...And...