Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to get significantly viewed dma stations added

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Just occurred to me I have never seen this question asked (or answered):

do the DMA restrictions also apply to commercial accounts?

I could see a sports bar, for example, wanting to carry games shown on locals in an adjacent DMA, particularly when the DMA they are actually in is in another state than where their locals originate, and the adjacent DMA is in their same state. High school sports state tournaments would be much more likely carried on the adjacent DMA locals than on the out of state locals they get.

Example, if you where in the Kansas City Missouri DMA, but actually lived on the west edge of the DMA, deep in Kansas, your sports bar would want to show Kansas State High School football championships, but they would have to receive locals from Topeka to get those games for their business.

Seems like the business interest would be important here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

I'm calling Directv just to see what they say about it.

#23 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm calling Directv just to see what they say about it.

Well they stated very little info, but did state If I call, I guess the GM of the networks, they could grant me the channels and it would just show up on my receivers at no charge.

So I don't know? Still lost

I would like some help:).

#24 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Just occurred to me I have never seen this question asked (or answered):

do the DMA restrictions also apply to commercial accounts?

I could see a sports bar, for example, wanting to carry games shown on locals in an adjacent DMA, particularly when the DMA they are actually in is in another state than where their locals originate, and the adjacent DMA is in their same state. High school sports state tournaments would be much more likely carried on the adjacent DMA locals than on the out of state locals they get.

Example, if you where in the Kansas City Missouri DMA, but actually lived on the west edge of the DMA, deep in Kansas, your sports bar would want to show Kansas State High School football championships, but they would have to receive locals from Topeka to get those games for their business.

Seems like the business interest would be important here.

To my knowledge they are not treated different unless its a RV or commercial vehicle I believe. Any restaurant or bar should be subject to the same things. They have options for what you are referring to. They could put up an antenna to get the additional channels and get a AM21 to import them into the DVR.

They could also follow up like the rest of of for any significantly viewed stations. To my understanding it is RV's and commercial vehicles that qualify for DNS once ownership is provided. In your example it would be no different from a resident wanting that same content versus a bar that wants that content for its customers.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#25 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well they stated very little info, but did state If I call, I guess the GM of the networks, they could grant me the channels and it would just show up on my receivers at no charge.

So I don't know? Still lost

I would like some help:).

Okay they are partially right. Here is what you do:

1. Call the GM of the affiliate that is considered Significantly Viewed in your county.
2. Explain to them that you want their station in the county you live in and that they are considered significantly viewed. Let them know that the law states their channel will not be blacked out for duplicate programming either and anything else that is a big up side for them. Examples are, his channel is from in state and the same affiliate in your DMA is from out of state. Another example would be by getting his station in your county you would know of bad weather before it hits you and that would be valuable to customers in that county. Another would be you dont have that affiliate in your market because there is no agreement or not affiliate. What ever the upside is sell it to them. Another good example would be if your county is a big county and would get them a lot more viewers.

If they are truly interested in getting added in your market, they will follow up with DirecTV for you. I was successful on 2 of 3 considered significantly viewed in my county and am working on the 3rd as they recently were bought by COX. They are working on it. As for the 4th in my area, I reached out to them earlier this week about submitting the forms to the FCC to become on the list. In this case, they are the only big 4 station in Tulsa not on the list.

I am always here to answer any questions and would also be willing to make some calls. Its all about presentation. Give them a good reason to do it and they will do the rest. If you try to reach a person at DirecTV that would be able to follow up on this you would get nowhere. I am not sure they are overly upbeat about adding additional local out of market stations to any county. When the affiliate wants to do it, its a different story. Let me know if you need help.
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#26 OFFLINE   paulsonj72

paulsonj72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts
  • LocationExtreme West-Central MN

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hre is an email answer I got from the GM of KELO which is a significantly viewed station in my county

While you are correct that we qualify based on being significantly
viewed, DirecTV does not usually have two stations with the same
affiliation based upon their capacity limits. We will check, but I'm
sure that is the answer.
Thanks for asking!

#27 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hre is an email answer I got from the GM of KELO which is a significantly viewed station in my county

sure that is the answer.
Thanks for asking!

While they are probably pretty accurate, it does happen. My DMA is not a big DMA and they added two of the three available for us from a much larger DMA. From DirecTV's perspective, the only thing they had to gain at the time was we didnt have a deal done with the CBS that is in my DMA so that helped but we also didnt have a deal with our DMA's FOX and we didnt get their significantly viewed channel activated.

I think if the stations express interest to their DirecTV contact there is a shot at it happening. Where does your DMA rank on the 2013 Neilson list and where does the station you speak of rank? It could help if you rank low and the stations is from a much larger local DMA. Who knows. Thanks for the info, keep us up to date and let me know if you need any help or have any questions.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#28 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

sure that is the answer.
Thanks for asking!

I think this is the problem, Its just lack of space in some cases, but in my case Directv already supplys them .

I wrote to channel 4 NY, and have gotton no response as of yet.

#29 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think this is the problem, Its just lack of space in some cases, but in my case Directv already supplys them .

I wrote to channel 4 NY, and have gotton no response as of yet.

Trust me guys, this is the best way. It wont happen for everyone and in same cases it will depend on our abilities to sell it being a benefit to the significantly viewed station and DirecTV I guess. Also it wouldnt hurt to have other people you know in that area call or email the affiliate about it as well. The more people they have interested in it the more likely they are to push to make it happen.

I try to always have my ducks in a row and be as persuasive as I can. The one I called a few days ago to apply for a significantly viewed status, I spoke to the Chief Engineer and he didnt have a clue. At first he said if you get your DMA's channel you are required by law to get them only. I said yes except for stations that are considered significantly viewed. He acted like there was no upside for him and why would he do it. I let him know that he is the only station in his DMA that is not considered significantly viewed in my county so obviously the other major affiliates find value in it and DirecTV has already added 2 of the 3 available while the 3rd is perusing this option as well. I also intend to let him know that they were on the local cable co's lineup until late last year so people here do like their channel.

Its all about selling. I love this stuff. I am more than happy to assist anyone wanting help with any of this. I hope everyone of you guys get all the stations added you want. If I can help make that happen I will.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Just to clarify something ealier, a waiver does not have to have an approval from the DMA affiliate. If they dont approve it after30 days the law says its automatically approved.

By the same token, they can deny the waiver at any point in that window. At that point, it is up to the end user to prove that they can't receive a signal.

In this age of carriage agreements replacing advertising revenue, it isn't likely to get easier.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#31 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

By the same token, they can deny the waiver at any point in that window. At that point, it is up to the end user to prove that they can't receive a signal.

In this age of carriage agreements replacing advertising revenue, it isn't likely to get easier.

That is partially true. DirecTV will tell you that you can only submit for waivers every 90 days, however their website allows you to submit the waivers yourself. When I had issues with this, I checked every day and as soon as one was denied I reapplied again. I am pretty confident I got 2 approved by doing that. One affiliate I am pretty sure let their license laps with the company that give them the rights to deny those and while in that window of not having a license I think everything was granted and the other I think got tired of seeing my name show up over and over and just approved the waiver. It pays to be persistent.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#32 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

That is partially true. DirecTV will tell you that you can only submit for waivers every 90 days, however their website allows you to submit the waivers yourself. When I had issues with this, I checked every day and as soon as one was denied I reapplied again. I am pretty confident I got 2 approved by doing that. One affiliate I am pretty sure let their license laps with the company that give them the rights to deny those and while in that window of not having a license I think everything was granted and the other I think got tired of seeing my name show up over and over and just approved the waiver. It pays to be persistent.

Direct also refused a waiver request. Was not an option since I have locals.

#33 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Direct also refused a waiver request. Was not an option since I have locals.

That is correct. You can not submit for waivers to get a DNS feed if you get that affiliates channel from your own DMA. Significantly viewed is just a different cat all together. Definitely helps us. It does not put us out for getting an adequate antenna and a AM21 to get the stations we want. I am just comforted by the fact that at least we have some work arounds.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#34 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Well I have taken the advice of a few of the posters here and emailed my 2 stations. I have one station out of SF/Oak and one out of Reno that is listed on the updated list. Hopefully something will happen, unfortunately where I am OTA is really hit or miss. You could literally move 1/4 mile and go from great reception to nothing at all.

Hopefully I will get lucky and find a couple of channels that are also willing to take up the cause for me (us).

#35 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Well I have taken the advice of a few of the posters here and emailed my 2 stations. I have one station out of SF/Oak and one out of Reno that is listed on the updated list. Hopefully something will happen, unfortunately where I am OTA is really hit or miss. You could literally move 1/4 mile and go from great reception to nothing at all.

Hopefully I will get lucky and find a couple of channels that are also willing to take up the cause for me (us).

Just an FYI, but I strongly advise everyone to call to make the initial contact. I think it comes across a lot better and you can gauge how much you need to sell them on the idea. Also in my case I have had to educate them on what I was asking as well. I think you are more likely to get better results if you have them on the phone and answer their immediate questions. Most I have dealt with have a few.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#36 OFFLINE   jpray72

jpray72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

I emailed before I read we should call. We have three significantly viewed channels in our area (CBS, NBC, FOX). Here are the results so far.

CBS no response.

FOX says I should contact Directv to get my local fox or switch providers. I believe this was an automated response because of the recent carriage dispute they were having that just ended. I have to try this one again later.

NBC says "We are going to have to do some research on this as. We will be in touch." So there maybe some hope here.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

#37 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

wjhg nbc panama city fl show the most views here in Dothan al but direc will only let us the nbc out of new York. I have call direc several about it.Dish has wjhg as the local nbc here.

#38 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

I emailed before I read we should call. We have three significantly viewed channels in our area (CBS, NBC, FOX). Here are the results so far.

CBS no response.

FOX says I should contact Directv to get my local fox or switch providers. I believe this was an automated response because of the recent carriage dispute they were having that just ended. I have to try this one again later.

NBC says "We are going to have to do some research on this as. We will be in touch." So there maybe some hope here.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.

I couldn't find a GM contact number for Channel 4 NY, so I sent an Email and no response still.

#39 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

wjhg nbc panama city fl show the most views here in Dothan al but direc will only let us the nbc out of new York. I have call direc several about it.Dish has wjhg as the local nbc here.

Can you clarify a few things for me? What county and state do you live in and also what DMA are you in? What DMA is WJHG in? Is your DMA without a NBC affiliate? That is what it sounds like to me. DirecTV brings in NY and Dish something different. This could be the case where WJHG is not on the same spot beam with your DMA's locals assuming they are different obviously.
Sony KDL-46HX800

#40 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

I couldn't find a GM contact number for Channel 4 NY, so I sent an Email and no response still.

What are the call letters for the station you are after? I will see what I can find out.
Sony KDL-46HX800

Protected By... spam firewall...And...