Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harmon Kardon AVR turns on or off but not both

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   njmurvin

njmurvin

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

I recently purchased a Harmon Kardon AVR1700. It apparently has separate IR codes to power on and power off (as opposed to a toggle where the same code does both). In the remote codes for setting up the HK with my HR23 remote, several of the codes sort of work. However, in every setting that works, the power button either turns the HK receiver on or turns it off - not both. I have found no code or method (a friend suggested hitting power twice) to allow me to turn the receiver both on and off. As it stands, I have the remote set to turn on the receiver, but I have to turn it off manually or use the receiver's native remote. Is there any way to accommodate a receiver with separate on/off IR codes? Incidentally, I have the same issue in my family room with a Yamaha receiver but I have a Harmony One that takes care of it. This is a master bedroom retreat and I really don't want to have to buy another Harmony remote just for this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Are you using the main power button in the middle? Try the on/off buttons on the upper right corner of the remote.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

The DIRECTV remote code finder recommends code# 31304.

When telling us which remote you have, you should use the remote control model number as opposed to the receiver model number. I think they're up to the RC65 now.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   njmurvin

njmurvin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Studechip - I am using the power button in the middle while in the AV1 mode. I believer the buttons on the right turn on/off the DVR and/or TV.

Harsh - I'll have to look at the remote to get the exact model #. I tried each of the codes for HK. I don't recall which I used. I'm curious how any remote code will make this work with only one power button - when the AVR is expecting different IR codes for on/off (unless there's a trick like rapidly pressing the power button twice to toggle the codes).

#5 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Program AV1 for on and AV2 for off.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

HK has never had a toggle command available, so your only solution is what samrs posted, the use of two devices for separate on & off of the HK receiver.
aka Tivoburkee

#7 OFFLINE   njmurvin

njmurvin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Brilliant! It never occurred to me to use AV2. I'll set that up with one of the codes that turns off the power. Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Don't tell your spouse how the remote works.

Just tell them it's picky about who touches it, and they should keep their hands off. ;)
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   njmurvin

njmurvin

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

FWIW, I set up the remove for AV1 to power on the receiver and AV2 to power it off. It's kludgy, but it works.

Also, I thought about my HR23 upstairs that has HDMI to my TV and component to my HD Slingbox. Only recently did I change the TV from component. Anyway, I expected the same problem (TV off not able to watch protected content via the Slingbox). But, it doesn't happen. The difference is I use a Harmon Kardon AVR1700 for sound and video switching. So, apparently, the HK does the handshake with the HR23 even when it's powered off (standby).

spam firewall