Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AMC earnings down to $15 mllion compared to $29 million

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

All the AMC v Dish threads are locked. But we really can't let this story go unnoticed:

The owner of such cable networks as The Walking Dead home AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel and WE tv posted earnings from continuing operations of $15 million, compared with $29 million in the year-ago period. Operating profit rose 2 percent, but operating expenses rose, and loan-repayment costs also dragged down the bottom line on a net basis.

...Wall Street analysts had on average predicted earnings to grow to $47.4 million and revenue to hit $370 million.

What is fuzzy in the story but is sort of explained is that carriage fees are reported when received which apparently runs a quarter behind. And advertising revenue grew 16% which affects the total picture.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,591 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hmm... so they raised their rates at Dish and AT&T last year but still made less money?

And I know some of their programs have been going up in the ratings... so how did they manage to screw things up?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

It's not good to take on Charlie. They lost a lot of revenue during the battle and that appeared in the 4th Quarter results.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I'm not quite sure how to take this info, but it appears this is the reason they settled, for what many of would say was very favorable terms to Dish. They needed the revenue.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

Quarterly revenue rose 8.2 percent to $367 million from $339 million as growth at U.S. networks offset a slight international decline and the lack of Dish carriage for part of the quarter.

So even with the missing DISH income they made 8.2 percent more in the quarter. They were still profitable, just a little less profitable.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

So even with the missing DISH income they made 8.2 percent more in the quarter. They were still profitable, just a little less profitable.

Yes, but they get killed by those analysts oriented to the "you didn't meet our projections." It's a tough world out there, full of critics. I'm happy they made money as I'm look forward to the next season of "Mad Men.'

My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

All the AMC v Dish threads are locked. But we really can't let this story go unnoticed: What is fuzzy in the story but is sort of explained is that carriage fees are reported when received which apparently runs a quarter behind. And advertising revenue grew 16% which affects the total picture.

I don't watch AMC due to ads. IFC is a joke.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#8 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Maybe they should add a few more commercials to there shows No one is watching.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Maybe they should add a few more commercials to there shows No one is watching.

No one is watching Walking Dead, Mad Men, or Breaking Bad????
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

No one is watching Walking Dead, Mad Men, or Breaking Bad????

Okay so that one person
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Okay so that one person

:rolleyes:

http://online.wsj.co...3837954522.html

This past Sunday's episode drew a total of more than 11 million viewers, according to Nielsen, more than any other cable show for the night and rivaling many top shows on broadcast.

http://insidetv.ew.c...-bad-ratings-2/

We are so not surprised: AMC’s Breaking Bad returned to record premiere ratings Sunday night.

The fifth season debut magnetically drew 2.9 million viewers, up 14 percent from last year’s debut and matching last year’s finale

http://tvbythenumber...de-ever/126048/

New York, NY – March 26, 2012 –Last night, AMC debuted season five of “Mad Men” with a two-hour premiere, which resulted in record ratings making it the most watched episode ever from the series. From 9pm-11pm EST, the network attracted a 2.5 HH rating delivering 3.5 million viewers.
"For each of the five 'Mad Men' seasons Matthew Weiner and his team have crafted a beautifully told story and each season a larger audience has responded; a rare accomplishment. ...

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 ONLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

"No one is watching" = "I don't watch it." ;) Doesn't matter if it is one of the top viewed dramas on TV.

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

All the AMC v Dish threads are locked. But we really can't let this story go unnoticed: What is fuzzy in the story but is sort of explained is that carriage fees are reported when received which apparently runs a quarter behind. And advertising revenue grew 16% which affects the total picture.

When will Sundance Channel be in HD?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

When will Sundance Channel be in HD?

On DISH? It has been "testing" since the beginning of January. Somewhere between soon and never remains my guess.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,591 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Sundance is an odd duck here... since you have to think that was part of the new negotiations when they settled the lawsuit last year... so I'm amazed Sundance hasn't come to us in HD a long time ago.

It almost has to be a technical issue at this point. I can't believe it would be a contractual one.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...