Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installer Left Old Dish Up

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Just got a Genie installed last weekend. The first thing the installer says is that direct tv no longer supports where my dish is mounted so he needs to install one at the top of the roof. Not a problem. So he installed a new dish that was exactly like the old one I had, and left the old one up there connected to nothing. When I called DTV about it they told me, "They are not allowed to touch the old equipment. It is your property now." I don't have the means to take the old dish down. Its way up there and I don't have a ladder tall enough or the tools needed to take it down. Am I in the wrong here thinking that they need to take this thing with them? :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

It's yours, you own it. Some installers will remove the dish and mast, but you don't want to remove the base unless the shingles are replaced. Simply using roofing tar or something similar isn't good enough. The holes could leak. It sounds like you are better off leaving it.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

policies have changed. Per OSHA regulations installers are not supposed to leave their ladders without proper fall protection gear. I guess you can request the dish taken down, but you will have to sign paper work stating that DirecTV needs to install roof anchors for the fall protection (they will not remove them) and if they leak, you cannot held them liable.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

The dish is not mounted on an area where there are shingles fortunately. Just on the side of it where its only wood.

#5 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Just got a Genie installed last weekend. The first thing the installer says is that direct tv no longer supports where my dish is mounted so he needs to install one at the top of the roof. Not a problem. So he installed a new dish that was exactly like the old one I had, and left the old one up there connected to nothing. When I called DTV about it they told me, "They are not allowed to touch the old equipment. It is your property now." I don't have the means to take the old dish down. Its way up there and I don't have a ladder tall enough or the tools needed to take it down. Am I in the wrong here thinking that they need to take this thing with them? :mad:

Nope it yours. You could have asked him/her when they where there but it is "your" property.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#6 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have an old DISH dish on the roof. The previous owner was a DISH subscriber.

I asked the DirecTV installer when he came if he could just take it down.

He said "we are not allowed to touch dish network equipment."

All well and good but the dish is clearly not working and he could have reused the mounting space. But I can understand the policy.

Hurricane Sandy blew the LNB off and now it is hanging by the cables. I guess when it gets warmer I'll have to go up with a 35 foot extension ladder and take it down. Not really looking forward to that.

#7 OFFLINE   Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Nope it yours. You could have asked him/her when they where there but it is "your" property.

Yeah if I knew he left it up there I would have. But I didn't go outside until after he left.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

I would suggest that having a $20 bill in your hand, when you are asking them to remove a dish for you, will often cause installers to forget what are and aren't "allowed" to do.

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,345 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I would suggest that having a $20 bill in your hand, when you are asking them to remove a dish for you, will often cause installers to forget what are and aren't "allowed" to do.

If your dish is mounted through your shingles and roof sheathing into your roof trusses, you should probably leave it in place. I used my old one and mounted my OTA antenna to it.

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

If your dish is mounted through your shingles and roof sheathing into your roof trusses, you should probably leave it in place. I used my old one and mounted my OTA antenna to it.

In this case, you should leave the base plate in place. But there is no reason to keep the mast & dish connected that base plate.

#11 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Personally, I wouldn't have anything but a pole mount. IMHO & YMMV.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#12 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

Personally unless the dish was a threat to national security i would just leave it up. If something would happen to happen to the main dish it make a handy temp. solution to get some TV back in the house till a tech could come and repair the other.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#13 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I have seen where they take the dish and mast off. And leave the base still mounted. Alot better than risking roof leak.

#14 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Heck I have 3 dishes for DirecTV. 1 on my roof and 1 on the side of my house and 1 in the ground on a pole. The 1 on the roof is about 25+ feet up and its an AU9-SL3. The one on the side of the house is an 18" round. The one on the ground is an AU9-SL3. The installer each time left the last dish up. He told me if LOS became an issue with the ground mounted dish (snow and easy maintenance) I could revert to the roof mounted antenna. All the cables are still ran for all 3 dishes.

Edited by xmguy, 30 March 2013 - 07:35 AM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Heck I have 3 dishes for DirecTV.

I keep two slimlines installed/mounted, and have several Phase I and Phase III dishes hanging from the rafters in my garage. My "main" dish is on the roof, hard to get to. My backup is bolted to the side of my deck, about 5' off the ground. It is my experiment/test/wipe the snow off dish (on those very rare occasions I get snow).

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

All well and good but the dish is clearly not working and he could have reused the mounting space. But I can understand the policy.

Hurricane Sandy blew the LNB off and now it is hanging by the cables. I guess when it gets warmer I'll have to go up with a 35 foot extension ladder and take it down. Not really looking forward to that.

Can you reach it with a pole saw? Just cut the wires and drop the lnb and leave the rest? If you don't want to get up there.

#17 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Can't use the same mounting bracket either....    Dish network and Directv masts are not the same Diameter anymore.    Directv masts are 2" ODU ,   Dish still uses 1 & 5/8"  ODU masts.........    A new mast has to be installed.

#18 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

When I upgraded to HD my installer left my old dish in the middle of my lawn :nono2:

#19 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

When I upgraded to HD my installer left my old dish in the middle of my lawn :nono2:

Because it's your property

Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#20 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Can't use the same mounting bracket either....    Dish network and Directv masts are not the same Diameter anymore.    Directv masts are 2" ODU ,   Dish still uses 1 & 5/8"  ODU masts.........    A new mast has to be installed.

I thought Dish had a model with a 2" mast.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...