Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choice Xtra Classic vs Choice or Entertainment

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lschinaia

Lschinaia

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hey guys,

I have been with Choice Xtra Classic for years, but the fees keep adding up. I looked at some of the channel differences between packages, but wanted to know what your opinion was on moving from a 65$ classic plan to either Choice or Entertainment pkgs to save money.

Is the channel choices the only difference, I sometimes watch Directv online, or on my phone, would that feature disappear?

Compared to Choice, or Entertainment... what's the flaws of downgrading?
Thanks
L

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

You can't get Choice Xtra Classic back after changing.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I just dropped down again to the Entertainment Package From Choice Extra. I gotta say I'm impressed with the line up.

Just remember if RSNs are a requirement, you either must subscribe to Choice or the sports pack.

Also ,MLB,Speed,ESPNews,and Espnu channels are also missing from entertainment pack.
To my knowledge as long as you subscribe to the channels, the on demand and online stuff wouldn't change

http://www.directv.c...kuId=P000101571

Edited by damondlt, 27 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

You can't get Choice Xtra Classic back after changing.

Incorrect. Choice Xtra Classic could be reinstated within 30 days of being removed. Granted, the Xtra package is almost the same channels and is a dollar cheaper.
Channels missing:
Boomerang
Chiller
NHL Network
Sports Mix
Sprout
Style
and a couple channels you've probably never heard of.

To my knowledge as long as you subscribe to the channels, the on demand and online stuff wouldn't change

Correct.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#5 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Incorrect. Choice Xtra Classic could be reinstated within 30 days of being removed. Granted, the Xtra package is almost the same channels and is a dollar cheaper.
Channels missing:
Boomerang
Chiller
NHL Network
Sports Mix
Sprout
Style
and a couple channels you've probably never heard of.

Also, the Tennis Channel, which is the only reason I still have Xtra Classic.

#6 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Also, the Tennis Channel, which is the only reason I still have Xtra Classic.

Tennis (217) is currently part of the Xtra package.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#7 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Tennis (217) is currently part of the Xtra package.

Where did you hear that? Unless you know something I don't, Tennis is only available with Choice Ultimate (and higher) or the grandfathered Choice Xtra Classic. Been that way since last year when they created the Classic package.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Where did you hear that? Unless you know something I don't, Tennis is only available with Choice Ultimate (and higher) or the grandfathered Choice Xtra Classic. Been that way since last year when they created the Classic package.

I have the Xtra package and the Tennis Channel is available on my setup, although the channel lineup card does not list it.

#9 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I have the Xtra package and the Tennis Channel is available on my setup, although the channel lineup card does not list it.

Do you have the sports package too? If so, that could be the reason.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#10 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hey guys,

I have been with Choice Xtra Classic for years, but the fees keep adding up. I looked at some of the channel differences between packages, but wanted to know what your opinion was on moving from a 65$ classic plan to either Choice or Entertainment pkgs to save money.

Is the channel choices the only difference, I sometimes watch Directv online, or on my phone, would that feature disappear?

Compared to Choice, or Entertainment... what's the flaws of downgrading?
Thanks
L

I downgraded to the Entertainment package. With the exception of ESPNU I don't miss much that is lost. During college football season I will upgrade to get ESPNU and drop down again when the season is over.

#11 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

i have the xtra package. tennis channel is available. i dont have any kind of sports package.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#12 OFFLINE   leier911

leier911

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Well since the start of it, I've been on the Entertainment. I feel it is a great package. All I wanted......Until hockey started back up and now for baseball, I needed my FoxSports North, so I had to bump back up to the Choice, which does add a few more like the MLB, and Big Ten Network too for me, so the sports was the only thing I was looking for by moving. Other than that, I do enjoy the Entertainment

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I just switched today to Choice from Choice Xtra Classic, saving me $7 per month.

Now way I could go with the Entertainment package and give up the Big 10 Network.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

H2 is the reason i have xtra. if it wasnt for that, id have the entertainment package. every channel i watch is in that package except for H2. im thrilled that its finally in HD :D

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I just switched today to Choice from Choice Xtra Classic, saving me $7 per month.

Now way I could go with the Entertainment package and give up the Big 10 Network.

Man, I just hate seeing all you guys that have been here since the beginning having to scale back on programming due to runaway costs. There is going to be a backlash one of these days, I am afraid. I would never have imagined when I first signed up for DirecTv, that the costs would be this high (for any provider) considering what they were when it all started.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#16 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

thanks for this thread and knocking some sense in me! I never even thought about downgrading to "entertainment" during my team's off-season. Even if it turns out to be a handful of months out of the year, every little bit helps!

#17 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Man, I just hate seeing all you guys that have been here since the beginning having to scale back on programming due to runaway costs. There is going to be a backlash one of these days, I am afraid. I would never have imagined when I first signed up for DirecTv, that the costs would be this high (for any provider) considering what they were when it all started.

It's sad but the costs are really getting out of hand. I have had satellite TV in some form since 1996 and am going to suspend my service this summer due to the runaway costs. I think the backlash you speak of is already beginning.

#18 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Yep. Backlash from me is coming once my contract is up. Unless there is another show like dexter or breaking bad to keep me around. I will be leaving pay TV. I will survive with Netflix and OTA..

#19 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I wanted to do this but lose 5 sports channels in HD for $6 a month. I watch all 5 channels
occasionally so at least I can upgrade and save $1 per month. Those sports channels are
cbssn, fuel, golf, nbatv and nbcs. The guide says fox soccer and tennis also, but is wrong there.

#20 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

They tried to get me to switch to ENTERTAINMENT (from Choice Extra Classic) a year ago when I complained and complained about the Regional Sports Fee (I hate sports). But then I looked at how many non-sports channels that I watch weren't in ENTERTAINMENT and decided that wasn't an option.

When I started talking "Hopper" to retention I ended up with a $10 bill credit for a year and 6 months of no DVR fee.

Now, I discovered that the Regional Sports Fee suddenly disappeared for my ZIP code on February 1!

Why doesn't DirecTV just put ALL the sports channels into their sports tier and let viewers who don't watch sports escape from the outrageous charges that sports channel providers (I.E. ESPN) charge?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...