Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choice Xtra Classic vs Choice or Entertainment

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

They tried to get me to switch to ENTERTAINMENT (from Choice Extra Classic) a year ago when I complained and complained about the Regional Sports Fee (I hate sports). But then I looked at how many non-sports channels that I watch weren't in ENTERTAINMENT and decided that wasn't an option.

When I started talking "Hopper" to retention I ended up with a $10 bill credit for a year and 6 months of no DVR fee.

Now, I discovered that the Regional Sports Fee suddenly disappeared for my ZIP code on February 1!

Why doesn't DirecTV just put ALL the sports channels into their sports tier and let viewers who don't watch sports escape from the outrageous charges that sports channel providers (I.E. ESPN) charge?

im not a sports fan either. ive also wondered why they dont group all the sports channels together, in their own premium package like they do the movie channels. im sure there are some reason why they cant or wont do that. im guessing the sports part of directv cost so much a premium type sports package would be too expensive. maybe?

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Yep. Backlash from me is coming once my contract is up. Unless there is another show like dexter or breaking bad to keep me around. I will be leaving pay TV. I will survive with Netflix and OTA..

I signed up for a free trial of Netflix, but I swear, every movie I type in to watch is not available for streaming. Im going to cancel, and stick with Amazon Prime. At least with Prime, if the movie isnt available free for your monthly subscription, they offer the opportunity to stream it for $3.99, or stream/buy for about 3x the watch once amount.

I rarely watch anything on OTA except sports, so that really isnt an option for me. Reality shows just tick me off.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#23 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

They tried to get me to switch to ENTERTAINMENT (from Choice Extra Classic) a year ago when I complained and complained about the Regional Sports Fee (I hate sports). But then I looked at how many non-sports channels that I watch weren't in ENTERTAINMENT and decided that wasn't an option.

When I started talking "Hopper" to retention I ended up with a $10 bill credit for a year and 6 months of no DVR fee.

Now, I discovered that the Regional Sports Fee suddenly disappeared for my ZIP code on February 1!

Why doesn't DirecTV just put ALL the sports channels into their sports tier and let viewers who don't watch sports escape from the outrageous charges that sports channel providers (I.E. ESPN) charge?

im not a sports fan either. ive also wondered why they dont group all the sports channels together, in their own premium package like they do the movie channels. im sure there are some reason why they cant or wont do that. im guessing the sports part of directv cost so much a premium type sports package would be too expensive. maybe?

Satelliteracer has giving his opinion on why its not feasible previously:

We will agree to disagree on this. The sports channels are a product of many things, including huge salaries for players, etc. They need eyeballs for ad revenue and subscribers to drive ratings for that ad revenue. On the flip side, they also need high subscription fees to pay for the rights fees that pay for the salaries, etc.

Many distributors right now are trying to put Pac 12 into a "premium" package, or a sports tier, same with Longhorn Network, etc. You see what happens as a result. No matter what, someone isn't going to be happy. The sports fan that feels all sports should be included and costs be damned, or the non sports fan that could not care less about sports and has to bear huge portion of their monthly bill to support the very sports they do not want. Where's the middle ground?

Problem is that the RSNs demand that the channel be in those higher tier packages and are required under contract. That's one of the core issues. The RSNs (the teams, etc) want broad penetration for advertising eyeballs AND large fees from the distributor.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#24 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Its because ESPN is part of ABC - Disney and with there contract they have it all in the regular package. If they moved ESPN and all the other sports networks they ALL would lose money.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#25 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

i can cetainly understand why some are cutting back. prices are getting out of hand. its not just directv alone, for me its a combo of everything. phone, internet, tv, groceries, electric costs are up, not to mention near $4 gas. i mean where does it end? everything is going up except my salary. few dollars more here, few more there... it adds up.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#26 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

few dollars more here, few more there... it adds up.

Yep, I agree completely. Im lucky in that regard, I can work all the overtime I want, so that helps.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#27 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

i can cetainly understand why some are cutting back. prices are getting out of hand. its not just directv alone, for me its a combo of everything. phone, internet, tv, groceries, electric costs are up, not to mention near $4 gas. i mean where does it end? everything is going up except my salary. few dollars more here, few more there... it adds up.

Your payroll taxes went up too . . dont you love sending your money to Washington D.C. They do thank you though.

#28 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,130 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

Yep. I was lucky enough to get a raise, and my take home still went down.

#29 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yep, I agree completely. Im lucky in that regard, I can work all the overtime I want, so that helps.

Does DirecTV know this? Better watch out if they monitor this forum! ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#30 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Just switched my grandfathered Choice Xtra Classic package to Xtra. For many years the classic package received more channels for less money. For the first time the grandfathered package is now more. Only by $1. The reason I switched is so I have more control of my account online. The channels I lost I never watch anyway.

#31 OFFLINE   johde

johde

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Today I just switched from Total Choice to Entertainment. Total Choice became $2 more example change Choice so dropping to Entertainment saves $12 a month.
My Equipment

HR24-500

Series 1 Directivo.

#32 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Today I just switched from Total Choice to Entertainment. Total Choice became $2 more example change Choice so dropping to Entertainment saves $12 a month.

Guess I am the only one that is happy with premium package.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#33 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Guess I am the only one that is happy with premium package.

Yup, the ONLY one.

#34 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

I have the Classic Choice package and considered the Entertainment choice but was told by a rep that The Ent. Package is not eligible for the HD Free for Life promotion that I currently have. If that's true then the drop would only save me about $6 a month instead of $16. Can someone please confirm if this is true or not?

#35 OFFLINE   nc88keyz

nc88keyz

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

directv deserves the backlash in my opinion. They want to get serious and gain some attention. The HD race is over. They have plenty of HD. It comes down to their bread and butter which I would guess pays everyone of their salaries.

The $6 mirror / lease / xtra box fees need to go. They act like they are doing you a favor and waiving it on the first receiver. but for a household that has 6 boxes its $30 dollars OR 30% of your monthly recurring charge.

At one time it was called a license fee for the NDS activation / mirroring.

Then it became the lease fee. (It should have been terminated then)

It is out of hand, The HD fee, The DVR fee, The Whole Home Fee variations, The product protection plan fee. I am on Total Choice and I looked at the channel packages today, I don't see big reasons to change.

Directv needs to regroup on the fee schedule. particularly the $6 lease fee per / box. Its just absurd when you think about what people payed for Sat TV in the late 90s.

Its best described as CORP GREED!

A perfect example of the executives laughing their asses off all the way to the bank is the C-31 , RVU Clients. You pay $6 fee for those too.

When the prototype windows media center extended was testing, it was thought thier would not be fees with clients such as XBOX and other WM extenders. Instead of trying this out they just scaped the entire project for their own media server / client, which is great , but they got what they wanted . (BOX FEES)

#36 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

DTV's prices are really determined more by Dish than by anything else. They are always a couple of bucks more than Dish and several dollars less than Comcast and AT&T. TV is very competitve, and i am not sure that AT&T and Verizon make any money from it.

The biggest problem is being forced to pay for channels we don't watch and there is probably no solution to that unless there is legislation in Washington D.C. that forces a la carte billing.

#37 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

When the prototype windows media center extended was testing, it was thought thier would not be fees with clients such as XBOX and other WM extenders. Instead of trying this out they just scaped the entire project for their own media server / client, which is great , but they got what they wanted . (BOX FEES)

I think that was only 2 tuners so even they what if you needed more then 1 box?

Also cable card did not really take off and that hurt media center as well.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...