Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV losing carriage rights to KFDM-6 on 3/1

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

DirecTV and KFDM-6 appear to be at odds with no agreement for a deal in sight. On 3/1 - I will lose my local CBS affiliate. So what to do?

1. Will DTV provide a national feed in its place as an interim solution until such deal is made?
2. Get me one of the External thingies(AN21???) that will bring in my OTA through the receiver(HR34/Genie) and allow me to continue watch(and more importantly record)?
3. Record on separate device connected to my Mac via OTA? I can run through my Apple TV but makes it a tad more difficult for the wife to use/view.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

1: Forget it. Options 2 and 3 are viable...your choice. Dont forget you will need an antenna as well as the tuner, if you dont already have one.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

1: Forget it. Options 2 and 3 are viable...your choice. Dont forget you will need an antenna as well as the tuner, if you dont already have one.

Thanks for the quick reply - I will probably use option 3 for a week or so - then I will order the AM-21. It's only 50 bucks an will integrate quite nicely...yea...I ran OTA to all TVs in the event of rain issues, etc....

Thanks again.

--Mickey

#4 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Keep in mind Sinclair Broadcasting posted the same message to E*, AT&T and Comcast customers recently and never actually pulled the channels. For E* they left the channels on another 2 weeks until the negotiations were finished.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#5 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Keep in mind Sinclair Broadcasting posted the same message to E*, AT&T and Comcast customers recently and never actually pulled the channels. For E* they left the channels on another 2 weeks until the negotiations were finished.

Thats good to know too but I have a lot of CBS programming that I record. So I will have to at least start that process on my Mac to in the event I miss them turning off the feed. Worst case, I will just delete my alternate copy.

--Mickey

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

See also the discussion here ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=212971
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

DirecTV and KFDM-6 appear to be at odds with no agreement for a deal in sight. On 3/1 - I will lose my local CBS affiliate. So what to do?

1. Will DTV provide a national feed in its place as an interim solution until such deal is made?
2. Get me one of the External thingies(AN21???) that will bring in my OTA through the receiver(HR34/Genie) and allow me to continue watch(and more importantly record)?
3. Record on separate device connected to my Mac via OTA? I can run through my Apple TV but makes it a tad more difficult for the wife to use/view.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey

We lost our local Fox station (CT) for a few days last year and they didn't supply any replacements.

I did have the Neighboring Local Channels (AKA Significantly Viewed Channels) and recorded Fox out of RI...in SD but didn’t lose much.

However, there doesn’t seem to be any Significantly Viewed Channels for Beaumont, TX.

FCC’s Significantly Viewed TV Stations List

I think your only options are OTA but getting an AM21 or a tuner for your Mac by 3/1 could be tough. If you order retail online you’d probably make it. Solidsignal had the AM21 and Apple TV stuff. A search will find other sources.

Hope this helps.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#8 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

I went ahead and ordered the AM21 this morning for 2 day delivery - will have it setup and ready for record/ready broadcasting Friday night. My wife will thank me any ways as this will resolve any of our rain related LIVE viewing issues we tend to have down here.

--Mickey

#9 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

I went ahead and ordered the AM21 this morning for 2 day delivery - will have it setup and ready for record/ready broadcasting Friday night. My wife will thank me any ways as this will resolve any of our rain related LIVE viewing issues we tend to have down here.

--Mickey

While the AM21 might be nice to have for other reasons, my guess is that this will be sorted out without the station ever going dark. When my CBS and FOX affiliates, owned by Capitol Broadcasting, were going through this, the deal was announced about 30 minutes before the stations were scheduled to be pulled. When the Sinclair owned stations were scheduled to be pulled from Dish, Sinclair gave a two week extention, and an agreement was reached within the two weeks. Again, despite all of the hype, the stations were never pulled.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

While the AM21 might be nice to have for other reasons, my guess is that this will be sorted out without the station ever going dark. When my CBS and FOX affiliates, owned by Capitol Broadcasting, were going through this, the deal was announced about 30 minutes before the stations were scheduled to be pulled. When the Sinclair owned stations were scheduled to be pulled from Dish, Sinclair gave a two week extention, and an agreement was reached within the two weeks. Again, despite all of the hype, the stations were never pulled.

Not always. We lost our local Fox station for about four days last year because a deal couldn't be reached.

Lately, DIRECTV has been holding firm. Just look at the Pac12 network.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#11 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Not always. We lost our local Fox station for about four days last year because a deal couldn't be reached.

Lately, DIRECTV has been holding firm. Just look at the Pac12 network.

Mike

Not adding a new sports channel (PAC 12) is a totally different situation from losing a channel that is already being carried. I am aware that Viacom stations went dark for 10 days, Versus (now NBC Sports) was dark for 6 months, and G4 was dropped permenantly, but these situations are unusual for DirecTV. I am not sure who owns your FOX Station, but the deal with Capitol Broadcasting came two months ago at about 11:30 PM on December 31, 2012 with a deadline of midnight. Your Fox station notwhthstanding, it is rare for DirecTV to lose a channel it already has.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Not adding a new sports channel (PAC 12) is a totally different situation from losing a channel that is already being carried. I am aware that Viacom stations went dark for 10 days, Versus (now NBC Sports) was dark for 6 months, and G4 was dropped permenantly, but these situations are unusual for DirecTV. I am not sure who owns your FOX Station, but the deal with Capitol Broadcasting came two months ago at about 11:30 PM on December 31, 2012 with a deadline of midnight. Your Fox station notwhthstanding, it is rare for DirecTV to lose a channel it already has.

My Fox station is with Tribune Broadcasting. Last March DIRECTV lost all of Tribune's stations in 19 markets for four days because they couldn't reach an agreement.

The point is DIRECTV has been very careful about the negotiations of late. Of course there are a lot more channels at stake this time so I'd suspect DIRECTV will work hard to make this one work.

Mike

µß

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

G4 was likely hanging on the old tech tv deals that comcast had to buyout to get on to more systems.

The VS issue nearly put them in a very poor place and they had to give in before the playoffs.

I was thinking about posting a video on youtube hitting the phone book call bars asking if they had VS.

After that mess VS became more ESPN like with less of the outdoor stuff.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#14 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

According the recording I just heard when calling DTV we will not lose any Sinclair channels. The below text is on the directvpromise site.
Last updated: February 27, 2013 5:00PM EST

DIRECTV continues to make significant progress each day toward a new long-term programming relationship with Sinclair Broadcast Group. This offers further assurance to our customers that there will be no interruption of their local programming. We also anticipate that, even in the most extreme case, Sinclair and DIRECTV will agree to a brief extension beyond the initial Feb. 28 deadline to hammer out any final details.

#15 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the update. That is my hope all along that they will extend and then settle afterwards. I still welcome my new addition - AM21 - I will be able to watch/record some CW programming that isn't offered in my area as well has an alternative FOX feed.

--Mickey

#16 OFFLINE   cmalberto

cmalberto

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

My AM21 is installed and updating as we speak...and they settled yesterday...I think I must have scared them. Thanks everyone.

--Mickey

spam firewall