Welcome to DBSTalk
- Start new topics and reply to others
- Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
- Get your own profile page and make new friends
- Send personal messages to other members.
Image Hard Drive to External Hard Drive Possible?
Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:28 PM
I was wondering if I could do one of two things in order to not lose my content:
1) Remove the internal hard drive and plug into my PC; image the drive onto the external hard drive (or even the new internal hard drive in the replacement that is on the way).
2) Possibly better, is to wait for the new one to come in and then swap the internal hard drives. Then plug in external hard drive to the new receiver with old hard drive; then copy all content over to the external hard drive. Then swap the internal hard drives back out so that I can ship the bad receiver back to Dish.
Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:25 PM
Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:30 PM
Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:32 PM
Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:34 PM
BTW, internal drive and EHD has DIFFERENT format, not telling about encryption on EHD
Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:42 PM
The problem with most retail USB drives, as you found out, is that they shut off after some period of inactivity, then often refuse to wake up. It's best if you can get a drive that has no "green" features at all, but that has become nearly impossible in today's market.
This is pretty much a Dish-specific issue due to the fact that the external drive (except on 211s) is only used sporadically. DirecTV external drives are never ever left idle and thus never shut off even if they are a "green" drive.
Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:05 PM