Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal Loss due to snow ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

I'm in the Chicagoland area and use the EA. We've had snow most of the day on Tues but none in the evening.

I get the local HD channels but not the higher ones such as FX or History.

When I tuned in History HD there was message saying I was being changed to the SD channel & this did come in OK.

Even if the storm has moved eastward & blocks the signal, or blocks the uplink, why would local HD channels or History SD make it through?

Is this more likely an issue of signal transmission to or from the satellites?
Or would it be a problem with snow buildup on my dish or ice on an LNB?

If it's my Dish I have no idea how to clean it off. It's on the roof near the edge but it is 2 stories straight up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Snow on your dish and/or LNB will block the signal. If it only partially blocks the signal, you'll get some channels but not others based on which satellite is blocked, or even which frequencies. Wet snow is worse than dry snow, not only because it has more water content, but also because it's stickier.

I use a roof rake to knock snow off mine, but if you don't have something like that, it's going to take a tall ladder. Or wait for Mr. Sun...

#3 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I do have a roof rake & an 8 ft ladder. I know from previously using the roof rake that it gets a bit unwieldy when you increase its length.

I did think about it though, but just using the handle to carefully knock off some snow. With my luck I'd probably knock an LNB out of alignment.

I'm just preparing myself for what needs to be done later.

#4 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Last Thursday and Friday we got over 8 inches of snow without any signal loss. Yesterday we got 4-5 inches of very wet snow which caused total signal loss. I went out with a hand pump garden sprayer filled with very hot water, and after about 5 minutes of spraying the dish I had it cleared and signal restored.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

I just took a look at my Dish. The LNBs look OK. But I cannot see if there is any clear ice on them because they are 20 ft up on the roof. The dish itself has a small amount of snow on the lower 2 inches or so. Buy it could have a coating of ice also.

This is the first time in 2.5 years I've had this problem. Makes me wish I had a 20 ft extension ladder.

#6 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Back when I had the two dish 500 (61.5, 110/119) setup, I never lost signal due to snow..even in some pretty big storms. Ever since I've been switched to the single dish Eastern Arc setup...I lose signal for a couple of hours anytime it snows.

I like the idea of the garden sprayer...I'll have to try that.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#7 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

In my area of the mid-west we have had three snow storms in three weeks. I've lost Dish signal a total of four days due to these storms. Never had that happen in 14 years as a Dish subscriber.....other than a few heavy downpours of rain that may last hour or so.

I've decided to remedy that by buying a dish heater. Here's one I've ordered and should get it next week. I'm sure spring weather will come quick when I install it. But, there's next year.

http://www.satpro.tv...dishheater.aspx

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Back when I had the two dish 500 (61.5, 110/119) setup, I never lost signal due to snow..even in some pretty big storms. Ever since I've been switched to the single dish Eastern Arc setup...I lose signal for a couple of hours anytime it snows.

I like the idea of the garden sprayer...I'll have to try that.

Even cold water will melt snow and ice as long as it is liquid it is above freezing. A garden hose with nozzle will work it will just take nore water than if you have a hot water source.

#9 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:27 AM

Even cold water will melt snow and ice as long as it is liquid it is above freezing. A garden hose with nozzle will work it will just take nore water than if you have a hot water source.

Even hot water will freeze on your dish if it's -20. You warm-climate people make me sick. :nono2:

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Even hot water will freeze on your dish if it's -20. You warm-climate people make me sick. :nono2:

Sorry but I have 30 years in New England and it might surprise you we get snow and ice in Texas.

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,535 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

With all the snow and freezing rain we've had this winter I'm happy to say I have yet to experience snow fade this year.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#12 OFFLINE   2Newfs

2Newfs

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I always heard that a super soaker water gun with windshield washer fluid would work for getting snow off of distant dishes. I've never tried this since my wife won't let me buy a super soaker. She has some strange idea I might use it on her as well as the dish. :-)

#13 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Sorry but I have 30 years in New England and it might surprise you we get snow and ice in Texas.

There's cold, and then there's real cold. And until you're trying to get ice off your dish at -20, don't tell me about how bad it is down in Texas. My guess is you haven't had a single day with the temperature low enough to freeze windshield wiper fluid on contact with your windshield.

#14 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I would need a SuperSoaker that could shoot 20 ft straight up. I know my garden hose with spray attachment connected to my outside faucet could probably go 20', but I don't know about doing it straight up. Besides I'd hate to be below the water when it comes down.

It might take a powerful homemade super soaker to do the job.

I also thought about making a 15 or 20 ft PVC extension & attaching it to the garden hose, like a long wand. That would get the spray nozzle right up by the dish. Now the water would have to squirt only a few feet. If the temperature was still above 32 degrees or so, I could just connect a short hose to the nearby outside faucet.

#15 OFFLINE   rcadss

rcadss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Here in Utah, I always put a trash bag over the whole dish. Make sure it is tight over it. I have notice no signal loss all winter.

spam firewall