Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

LNB's Keep Icing Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

I've had Dish for over 15 years but never had this problem before. A little over a year ago on a service call for LNB drift the techs insisted on replacing the dish and relocating it. Until then I'd had occasional issues with snow or ice on the dish itself but never on the LNB's, which were sheltered in the former location from blowing rain and snow. The new dish is black and I have never had ice on it in 13 months. The the LNB's have become coated with thick ice half a dozen times because in the new location they are fully exposed to weather from all directions.

The old location was 4 feet off the ground so clearing the dish was easy. The new location is over 10 feet off the ground so I bought a SuperSoaker. I have to give the LNB's a good soaking with hot water to clear them. Happened again in yesterday's storm. Dish completely clear but almost 1/2" of ice on the LNB's.

I've read many suggestions for keeping snow and ice of the dish surface. Are there any ways to reduce or prevent ice formation on LNB's?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Please take a look at the thread "Signal Loss due to snow ?".

I probably have the same problem that you have. I wish I could get better look at the LNBs in order to see if there really is ice on them.

Does your SuperSoaker actually shoot 25 feet?

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

You could move the dish back to the oid iocation.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

You could move the dish back to the oid iocation.

The dish has had only one location. The installer placed it near the edge of the roof so that if it needed any repairs or maintenance the tech would not have to get on the roof, which would be especially helpful in bad weather.

I'm glad it's where it is located. I just don't have a long extension ladder like the Dish techs have on their trucks.

#5 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Google LNB rain hoods.

Might help

#6 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Everything starting working today so I guess whatever was on the dish or LNBs has melted off.

I think it's time to get a long range super soaker or maybe build one.

#7 OFFLINE   rcadss

rcadss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Here in Utah, I always put a trash bag over the whole dish. Make sure it is tight over it. I have notice no signal loss all winter.

spam firewall