Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Doesn't DirecTV care about returned equipt?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Three weeks ago, I called DTV to deactivate the H-24 Receiver in my spare bedroom. They did that immediately. They still have never sent me an empty box to return the old receiver. I even called them again for it. Do I have to beg them to let me send it back to them?

Or can I just keep it or sell it on Ebay? It probably isn't worth $30.

Edited by mitchflorida, 27 February 2013 - 07:33 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

You need to keep calling and reminding them that you have it. If you don't return it you'll find a nice non-return fee on your account eventually.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

I would suggest you keep it - Watch your bill- and if you decide to re-active you will have it handy.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

In my experience, it can take around three weeks for a return kit to arrive.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#5 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

I've been promised a kit on two occasions over the last eight years or so, but never received one.

And I was never charged a fee for not returning the boxes either.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think that part of D* historically has been a little flaky.

I was charged for a returned receiver a few years ago, had to call FedEx, get the name of the D* employee who received it to get the charge off my bill. They also charged me for a replacement receiver that replaced a unit that expired before the installers truck got off the property. Reversing that charge was quite a bit easier.

A customer of mine that recently switched from D* to E* received the recovery kit in less than a week.

Also have an H20 that can't be re-activated, and D* doesn't want it back. Seems like they would like to recoup some more $$$$ on that unit but they don't.

Not sure why everyone seems to have a different experience, or in my case, never having the same experience twice, LOL.

#7 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Dish actually charges you to return your receivers, esp. when you are cancelling their service. Something like $20. Does DTV charge for that as well?

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Dish actually charges you to return your receivers, esp. when you are cancelling their service. Something like $20. Does DTV charge for that as well?

No, they charge you if you don't return it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

I have called 3x since having a DVR replaced. I've yet to get a return kit. I am not calling them again. I will keep it until I hear they want it back by charging me for it. Lord help them I will not be happy having to call them a fourth time about it.

#10 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I called to deactivate a receiver while my son is away at school. I got a return box about week later. I didn't want to return it, I just wanted to not have to pay for it while it sat idle.

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Three weeks ago, I called DTV to deactivate the H-24 Receiver in my spare bedroom. They did that immediately. They still have never sent me an empty box to return the old receiver. I even called them again for it. Do I have to beg them to let me send it back to them?

In this case it sounds like it is a leased box. If that is the case, anyone who would purchase it from you would not be able to activate it and would be coming back to eBay to get their money back. The only way leased equipment can be sold as leased is if its from DirecTV or the first time its being activated form anyone else.

At some point if DirecTV does not get it back, they will probably get around to charging your account for it.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

I called to deactivate a receiver while my son is away at school. I got a return box about week later. I didn't want to return it, I just wanted to not have to pay for it while it sat idle.

The only way to do that is if you own the box. With an owned box you can deactivate and reactivate at will. With a leased box they ask for you to return it when you deactivate it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

No, they charge you if you don't return it.

When I was with Dish they sent me a pre-paid sticker to return their receivers and billed me $20 for their shipping cost.

Of course, I could have shipped it back via the Post Office for $25. DTV supplied me free return shipping.

#14 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

My experience has been that when DirecTV is replacing a bad receiver, they expect the old one to be reurned promptly, and they bill you for it if they do not record that they have received it back. On the other hand, if you are just deactivating a receiver, and DirecTV did not send a replacement for it, they are much slower (if ever) to bill you for a non-returned receiver. Also, they do not want some of the older models back, but I would expect that they would want an H-24 back.

#15 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I would definitely call and let them know you have a receiver that is recoverable and have not received one. If they can not get any tracking information for you, have them send one manually. When a recoverable receiver is deactivated, you are supposed to get a recovery kit shipped to you automatically but sometimes it does not ship out.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#16 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

When I was with Dish they sent me a pre-paid sticker to return their receivers and billed me $20 for their shipping cost.

Of course, I could have shipped it back via the Post Office for $25. DTV supplied me free return shipping.

That's outrageous. I understand you also have to return the LNB with DISH or get another outrageous charge. I hope DISH customers have good ladders and tools if their dish is on their roof!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#17 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

The best thing I did was remove that receiver and save $9 a month . . I can use that for Netflix every month on that TV instead . .:) Plus of course I can watch it everywhere in the house.

Edited by mitchflorida, 28 February 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   detroitlions

detroitlions

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

I have a deactivated H-21 receiver which has been sitting idle for almost three months. Reminded DTV three times and still no box to ship it back in. I'm done reminding them.

#19 OFFLINE   ryanh9992

ryanh9992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I have a deactivated H-21 receiver which has been sitting idle for almost three months. Reminded DTV three times and still no box to ship it back in. I'm done reminding them.

H21s are no longer a recoverable receiver.
DirecTV Technical Support
My opinions and comments herein are of my own and in no way represent those of my employer

#20 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

That's outrageous. I understand you also have to return the LNB with DISH or get another outrageous charge. I hope DISH customers have good ladders and tools if their dish is on their roof!!

No more outrageous than sticking somebody with a several hundred dollar fee for an unreturned DVR which has already been "sold" multiple times at a price that likely far exceeds the cost.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...