Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Doesn't DirecTV care about returned equipt?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

No more outrageous than sticking somebody with a several hundred dollar fee for an unreturned DVR which has already been "sold" multiple times at a price that likely far exceeds the cost.

This is a point I brought out a few months back. I was lambasted for suggesting it wasn't fair.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

No more outrageous than sticking somebody with a several hundred dollar fee for an unreturned DVR which has already been "sold" multiple times at a price that likely far exceeds the cost.

E* does not enforce the policy of returning the LNB.

just left them in Nov. and they said forget about it.!!!:D:D:D

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#23 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

I think that part of D* historically has been a little flaky.

I was charged for a returned receiver a few years ago, had to call FedEx, get the name of the D* employee who received it to get the charge off my bill. They also charged me for a replacement receiver that replaced a unit that expired before the installers truck got off the property. Reversing that charge was quite a bit easier.

We do hear of the stories about those that got charged when the DVRs were returned, that has happened with both D* and E* at times. But it is an issue that should never happen! When you put that returned unit in the hands of the shipper THEY chose, your responsibility should end and that point. And in fact, I think it does end there and if they try to charge and you can show their shipper received it, I think they would back down from an argument.

In my case, I pay the bills with a very low limit credit card so that worse case they might get a very few hundred dollars, but in general I keep a balance on that so that there is only enough available to cover bills as they come due. That way if they want to recover some money they have to talk to me to get it.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#24 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

just had a E* return a month ago and they waived retrieving the LNB, it was roof mounted and the ground was snow covered.

and a recent D* return they waived the SWiM power inserter being returned as it was in the ceiling over the water softener and water heater. Asked home owner how the original tech had managed to put the inserter there and he said the water softener went in later.

I don't think these non returned accessories are a big deal, homes go back and forth between the 2 provides fairly often, most items will see use again.

Still wonder about E* being so an*l retentive about old remotes. Used to be techs would leave 'em, and a few techs would let me have returns to pass out to folks with problems. No more, I Ebay replacement remotes to have a stock on hand and have to charge for them. Nice PR to be able to pass out a free remote once in a while. Techs say they still trash can returned remotes but have to account for them. Somebody needs an additional remote for a mirrored system it just seemed like a nice use for a 'gently' previously enjoyed remote control.

Sigh.

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

DirecTV doesn't have you return the LNB at all, only the STB's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

They should just drop the policy completely.

#27 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

DirecTV doesn't have you return the LNB at all, only the STB's.

That last D* return I did, the paperwork indicated they wanted the SWiM power inserter. I called and after I told them it was inaccessible over the waater softener it was 'never mind we don't need it that bad'.

LOL! Didn't see anything on the paperwork about the LNB, on that job it would have been easy, KaKu was mounted underneath an attached deck, I could have reached it standing on the ground, easy.

#28 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

That last D* return I did, the paperwork indicated they wanted the SWiM power inserter. I called and after I told them it was inaccessible over the waater softener it was 'never mind we don't need it that bad'.

LOL! Didn't see anything on the paperwork about the LNB, on that job it would have been easy, KaKu was mounted underneath an attached deck, I could have reached it standing on the ground, easy.

Heh, DirecTV also asks for the remotes back upon cancellation, but they don't charge if you don't return them :). The only equipment you can be charged for are the receivers and the access cards inside them.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#29 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

We do hear of the stories about those that got charged when the DVRs were returned, that has happened with both D* and E* at times. But it is an issue that should never happen! When you put that returned unit in the hands of the shipper THEY chose, your responsibility should end and that point. And in fact, I think it does end there and if they try to charge and you can show their shipper received it, I think they would back down from an argument.

In my case, I pay the bills with a very low limit credit card so that worse case they might get a very few hundred dollars, but in general I keep a balance on that so that there is only enough available to cover bills as they come due. That way if they want to recover some money they have to talk to me to get it.

There are those here that will say it's the customer's responsibility to make sure the package got there and was properly credited, not just to make sure it was returned!

#30 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

There are those here that will say it's the customer's responsibility to make sure the package got there and was properly credited, not just to make sure it was returned!

Most representatives will chalk it up to a mis-scan in warehouse receiving and credit the non-return fee if we can show that the return tracking number has a confirmed delivery. It's all situational, of course.

Edited by Lugnut, 05 March 2013 - 05:37 PM.

"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

spam firewall