Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV- 4K trademarks

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I see networks doing it eventually, but it won't be done widely for quite a while like 10 years or so. Just like HDTV. It's been around for quite a while, but it's just now getting to where it is the norm.

I think in a couple years we will see it used for PPV and events, and then eventually the early adopter stations like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc. Maybe Mark Cuban will come out with 4KNet and 4KNet Movies.

1080p though I think would just be a waste of time/money for the networks. DirecTVs existing hardware only works with 1080p24, and I don't see them coming out with new hardware just to allow 1080p30 or 1080p60. TV stuff is mainly done in 30 or 60Hz framerates, as opposed to movies which are usually done as 24Hz. Not to mention there would be very little benefit to upgrading a channel from 1080i60 to 1080p30 or 1080p60. Most people wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. You would get more of an impact by just increasing the bandwidth of the channels rather than trying to switch to 1080p30 or 1080p60.

Upgrading a channels infrastructure to go from 1080i to 1080p would just be a waste of money. Upgrading from 720p to 1080p may make a bit more sense, but still probably won't happen.

New trend started recently, so expect more and more movies shoot at 48 fps.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Unless it was mainly a matter of getting just above the flicker fusion rate in order to conserve needed film footage, I always wondered why the film industry settled on 24 fps and not 48 anyhow?

Considering that even a basic film projector exposes each film frame twice or 48 Hz.

#43 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Unless it was mainly a matter of getting just above the flicker fusion rate in order to conserve needed film footage, I always wondered why the film industry settled on 24 fps and not 48 anyhow?

That's it exactly -- a compromise between three things: avoiding flicker, not using up too much film, and the fidelity of the soundtrack. Two additional benefits were that 24fps is a pretty easy number to deal with for the film editors (easier than something like 22.5fps), and it was easy to produce motors that ran at 24fps for the cameras and projectors.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#44 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Why?;)

Losing money by the bucketload - mostly on the TV side; but, the standard corporate response is to unload even profitable segments to make the balance sheet look instantly improved. Often way too shortsighted a move - but, sometimes it helps.

#45 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Losing money by the bucketload - mostly on the TV side; but, the standard corporate response is to unload even profitable segments to make the balance sheet look instantly improved. Often way too shortsighted a move - but, sometimes it helps.

Exactly, you don't have demand, its a flop.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#46 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

I realize this, but my argument still stands. It wouldn't make much sense for DirecTV or the TV stations to upgrade hardware just to get to 1080p whether it's at 24, 30, 48 or 60 framerates. There just isn't that big of a difference between that and 1080i60.

4K (or 2160p) however is an investment that may make sense. I was reading a thread over on AVSForum, and evidently some stations are already looking into it, or have already begun to upgrade their equipment so they can edit/master shows in 4K. I guess they even have some 4K equipment set up in the vans they use for live sporting events and they have used it at some events and even broadcast it in 4K to certain venues.

Here's one thread I read about it in this morning.

http://www.avsforum....ion-feasibility

When everyone has a 2160p tv then ask that question.;)

Last I knew only about 70% of homes had HDTVs, and less than 50% of homes have more than one. Does that mean we shouldn't have HDTV channels and hardware, since not everyone has HDTVs?

Edited by Beerstalker, 06 March 2013 - 09:48 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#47 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Last I knew only about 70% of homes had HDTVs, and less than 50% of homes have more than one. Does that mean we shouldn't have HDTV channels and hardware, since not everyone has HDTVs?

No , but untill we finish what we start, we shouldn't outsource our resources on High priced Premium programming option that don't even exist yet, let alone most people can't afford.
Why not get the bugs that been an issue for these HR's for so long worked out? How about giving a current customer who wants an upgrade a break , instead of " sorry thats for New customers."

Sorry our bills are high enough right now, Why should the vasy majority of Directv customers watch their investments get pissed away on another Yuppy rich customers, with more money they know what to do with, wet dream.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#48 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

No , but untill we finish what we start, we shouldn't outsource our resources on High priced Premium programming option that don't even exist yet, let alone most people can't afford.
Why not get the bugs that been an issue for these HR's for so long worked out? How about giving a current customer who wants an upgrade a break , instead of " sorry thats for New customers."

Sorry our bills are high enough right now, Why should the vasy majority of Directv customers watch their investments get pissed away on another Yuppy rich customers, with more money they know what to do with, wet dream.

So you're anti-innovation. Got it. If you had your way DirecTV wouldn't develop products, services, and technologies for future use. Yep...that makes sense.
DTV = Digital Television

#49 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

So you're anti-innovation. Got it. If you had your way DirecTV wouldn't develop products, services, and technologies for future use. Yep...that makes sense.

No if I had it my way, We would have fast responding HR's where everything works perfectly everyday.

Not when it feels like it.

Like I said, why don't we fix our issues first before we create more.

The amout of HR34 threads I see everyday , the amount of bugs I see from it.

Not to mention the other HR's
Are they acceptible boxes , Sure. But they can still use a few fixes first!

Here my list.

HR 34 has to be reset, every 2-3 days cause H25's won't play recordings. See's the list fine, Just give a message their was a playback issues, Try later.
Next then when downloading on demand ,and watching live tv , the screen shakes/jumps.
Audio dropouts on occasion when switching channels, sometime needs a reset.
Pandora, gets stuck sometimes exiting to regular programming and requires a reboot.
I'm sure if I look at the HR 34 forums I can recall more.
Maybe drop the Guide Ads, that may help.:
So unless Directv is going to hand us all HR44's we are just stuck!

But lets get that 4K out so we can screw these machines up more!
But I'm sure I'm the only one that has the defective equipment!:rolleyes:

Edited by damondlt, 10 March 2013 - 09:42 AM.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#50 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

No if I had it my way, We would have fast responding HR's where everything works perfectly everyday.

Here my list.

HR 34 has to be reset, every 2-3 days cause H25's won't play recordings. See's the list fine, Just give a message their was a playback issues, Try later.
Next then when downloading on demand ,and watching live tv , the screen shakes/jumps.
Audio dropouts on occasion when switching channels, sometime needs a reset.
Pandora, gets stuck sometimes exiting to regular programming and requires a reboot.
I'm sure if I look at the HR 34 forums I can recall more.
Maybe drop the Guide Ads, that may help.:
So unless Directv is going to hand us all HR44's we are just stuck!

But I'm sure I'm the only one that has the defective equipment!:rolleyes:

The odds are more likely that you have a substandard installation, and that is the source of your issues ;)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#51 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

+1

#52 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

The odds are more likely that you have a substandard installation, and that is the source of your issues ;)

Ofcourse, I didn't think it was anything else.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#53 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Can the chipset in the HR34 and below even decode and output 4K? I was thinking DirecTv would need to release a totally new receiver/DVR when 4K arrived.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#54 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Can the chipset in the HR34 and below even decode and output 4K? I was thinking DirecTv would need to release a totally new receiver/DVR when 4K arrived.

I'm sure you're right.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

According available info from Broadcom: current chips are not capable to process 4K regardless if it compressed by current standard H.264.

spam firewall