Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will this work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jjeeffff

jjeeffff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I would like to share 1 hd dvr with 2 hd tv's. I am wanting to connect the receiver to the main tv using component cables and then run a 50 foot hdmi cable for the tv in the bedroom. The 2 tv's will never need seperate programming. Any suggestions? Will this idea work? Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yes, it will work.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

I would like to share 1 hd dvr with 2 hd tv's. I am wanting to connect the receiver to the main tv using component cables and then run a 50 foot hdmi cable for the tv in the bedroom. The 2 tv's will never need seperate programming. Any suggestions? Will this idea work? Thanks in advance!

Yes it will work, but be advised;

The HDCP encryption protecting the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, etc., if you subscribe to any of them) may bite you here. If the TV connected to the HDMI port in the bedroom is not HDCP compatible or when the set is turned off, the component, S-video, and composite outputs will black out and display the dreaded HDCP error message.

#4 OFFLINE   jjeeffff

jjeeffff

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the replies I do not sub to any premiums so I should be good to go. BTW will 50 foot be too long of a run for HDMI?

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Depends.

I have had one shorter run not work. The HDMI device was the infamous Panasonic Blu-ray VCR combo (IANMTU), and I ran what I thought was a midlevel HDMI cable 40 feet and had macroblocking and interrupted sound. Shorter (and bargain basement cheap) HDMI cables worked fine, had no premium quality HDMI in the long length to try. Customer allowed a different arrangement of the equipment so we wound up OK.

Only ever had this problem the one time. I've had 40 foot lengths from D* and E* boxes to TV work just fine, and that with the bargain basement cables.

Best of luck with this, let us know how it goes.

#6 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 565 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies I do not sub to any premiums so I should be good to go. BTW will 50 foot be too long of a run for HDMI?

One of my HDMI cables is 60 feet long (actually 2 - 30 cables with a connector in the middle. Make sure you get an HDMI cable that is either 22 or 24 AGW wire. The 26 and 28 AGW won't allow you to go that far. I used cables from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

I have a similar setup, except I'm using a 30' hdmi cable. I kept getting the dreaded HDCP error message on my non-HDMI outputs. Adding a 2-way hdmi splitter (I'm only using 1 of the 2 outputs) like the one below will keep away the HDCP errors.

2-way HDMI splitter

:)

#8 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 468 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

One of my HDMI cables is 60 feet long (actually 2 - 30 cables with a connector in the middle. Make sure you get an HDMI cable that is either 22 or 24 AGW wire. The 26 and 28 AGW won't allow you to go that far. I used cables from Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Even better is to use one of the new "redmere" type cables, also from Monoprice. These have a special chip inside the connector the conditions the signal for longer runs. I have one at 75 feet and it works great.

The one caveat is that these cables are directional, i.e. the two ends are NOT interchangeable, so make sure the "source" end is at the DVR output or the AVR output.

Keith

#9 OFFLINE   orijonl

orijonl

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Monoprice also has some of the wireless hdmi adapters.

#10 ONLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:33 AM

Even better is to use one of the new "redmere" type cables, also from Monoprice. These have a special chip inside the connector the conditions the signal for longer runs. I have one at 75 feet and it works great.

The one caveat is that these cables are directional, i.e. the two ends are NOT interchangeable, so make sure the "source" end is at the DVR output or the AVR output.

Keith

What a killer tip. Thanks PJ.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall