Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blockbuster on Demand on Roku

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Roku has just launched it's Blockbuster on Demand channel.
However I was not successful in signing in using either my email or my Blockbuster/Dish user name and password.
According to the info - sign up is free but you have to pay for movies but what about those of us who already have Blockbuster thru Dish?
I just emailed them so we will see.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcadss

rcadss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I think blockbuster on demand only works through your dish receiver. I wish it wasn't that way but I have never been able to use it on any mobile device or computer.

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

The OP is correct. It nowworks on Roku.

http://thenextweb.co...-lands-on-roku/
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I now have BB as yet another streaming Roku movie channel available to me.

Edit: no sign-up or monthly fees; pay per movie rented -- just like BB B&M stores.

Edited by Nick, 28 February 2013 - 03:06 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I got an email back that the Roku app is not fully supported yet but once it is, I'll be able to login. However it seems you have to pay for each movie so it is worthless for me.
For those who have it on their Dish receiver, do you pay for movies?

#6 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I can easily watch Blockbuster on my iPad using the Dish App. No charge on the movies. No different than from the receiver except the search features are faster on the iPad. At home I can either watch through the Dish receiver or using the iPad and mirroring to an Apple TV.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#7 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

No charge (beyond the subscription price) BUT the selection doesn't include much in way of new releases. Those I have to get with the '1 disk at a time' mailed to me (and often they have a long wait

I got an email back that the Roku app is not fully supported yet but once it is, I'll be able to login. However it seems you have to pay for each movie so it is worthless for me.
For those who have it on their Dish receiver, do you pay for movies?

#8 OFFLINE   OrangeandBlue33

OrangeandBlue33

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

This comes directly from the Blockbuster On Demand website:

"Can I Use My Blockbuster@Home or Blockbuster By Mail Subscription?
Sorry, Blockbuster On Demand is a separate service but signing up for a free account only takes a minute.
"

Seems like our $10 a month for Blockbuster @ Home should give us some sort of access. Oh well - too bad.

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Roku has just launched it's Blockbuster on Demand channel.
However I was not successful in signing in using either my email or my Blockbuster/Dish user name and password.
According to the info - sign up is free but you have to pay for movies but what about those of us who already have Blockbuster thru Dish?
I just emailed them so we will see.

What's a Roku?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#10 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

A Roku is a small set top box that allows you to stream video from the Internet to your tv. They have several models ranging from under $50 to $99. The high end box will do 1080P if the source supplies it. Similar to the Apple TV box but unlike the Apple box, the Roku has a lot of free content. Currently Roku has over 700 channels that can be streamed. Some are kind of worthless unless you like watching movie trailers but they also have Hulu, vudu Netflix and a lot of other channels that have movie or tv content. A lot of these channels are also available on most BluRay players and game machines like Xbox.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

A Roku is a small set top box that allows you to stream video from the Internet to your tv. They have several models ranging from under $50 to $99. The high end box will do 1080P if the source supplies it. Similar to the Apple TV box but unlike the Apple box, the Roku has a lot of free content. Currently Roku has over 700 channels that can be streamed. Some are kind of worthless unless you like watching movie trailers but they also have Hulu, vudu Netflix and a lot of other channels that have movie or tv content. A lot of these channels are also available on most BluRay players and game machines like Xbox.

Thanks!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I just signed up, asks for cc info to create account, so all movies costs something (at least $2.99). So I tried to cancel or delete cc info, no way to do it through app or on-line :mad:. BB online through Dish is much better (and totally different).

edit: I sent them an email to see if I could get my cc and/or account removed, got this response:

Unfortunately there is no way to cancel the on demand accounts at this moment.
Blockbuster is working on making that feature available.

Edited by tcatdbs, 11 March 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

No charge (beyond the subscription price) BUT the selection doesn't include much in way of new releases.

So why do a good portion of the selections say $2.99?
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#14 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

They mean no charge for the app, for a lack of better term, but the movies do cost money.

#15 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Actually, my reply was about the line "For those who have it on their Dish receiver, do you pay for movies?" from plasmacat. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly so) he was asking about the streaming from blockbuster on the Dish receiver (via the Blockbuster @ Home package)

I did not mean Blockbuster on Demand thru the ROKU.

Edited by CeeWoo, 11 March 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

I have come to the conclusion that Blockbuster@Home (which I have thru Dish) and Blockbuster on Demand are 2 different things.
I believe you pay for movies individually with on Demand whether it's on your Dish DVR or on the Roku.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

#17 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

I totally agree!

I have come to the conclusion that Blockbuster@Home (which I have thru Dish) and Blockbuster on Demand are 2 different things.
I believe you pay for movies individually with on Demand whether it's on your Dish DVR or on the Roku.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

#18 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

It will be interesting to see how Blockbuster On Demand's prices and terms (ie the viewing window) compare to some of the other providers such as Apple, Vudu, Amazon or (for me) Directv.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#19 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

It will be interesting to see how Blockbuster On Demand's prices and terms (ie the viewing window) compare to some of the other providers such as Apple, Vudu, Amazon or (for me) Directv.

I know how it compares to Neflix...$10 vs. $7.99 subscription fee....$2.99 for junk that is free on Netflix...and as an added bonus....inserted commercials. Quite the bargain! :lol:
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#20 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

---

Protected By... spam firewall...And...