Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM-16s on UPS - good idea?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,292 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Is there any reason why I should put a SWM-16 on a UPS when the receivers are only surge protected? The location I'm installing a pair of SWM-16s has a 750va UPS that currently has very little capacity used by networking equipment. I will either plug them both into the battery backed outlets or into the non-battery surge protected outlets on the UPS. Though power outages are rare at this location, I don't want to have the SWM-16s draining the battery during outages if there is nothing to be gained by doing so. I'm curious as to the opinion of the experts on this.

I can think of a couple potential reasons why putting the SWM-16s on a UPS might be a good idea. If they are very sensitive to minor power fluctuations, perhaps more sensitive than the receivers, then the more stable power output of the online UPS battery might be better than the surge protected outlets. The other reason is if it helps avoid problems when power returns and everything tries to power up at once. I've read a few things that suggest power outages can throw SWM systems into a bit of disarray, and the recommendation for trouble after a power outage is to power everything down, then power up first the SWM switches (or LNB, if it is a SWM LNB) and then power up the receivers one by one. If I understand correctly, this is because there is a potential for some conflict when all the receivers are trying to request SWM channel assignments at the same time.

Is this true? If so, would having the SWM remain powered up (assuming the outage is not so long the battery runs out) improve the situation? Make it worse? Make no difference?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

In the past 5+ years, I've never put a SWiM on a UPS.
I've had power outages many times.

If "things" aren't working correctly, "then" the whole system power cycle is a good idea, but I can't remember ever needing to do it.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

I have the the SWiM's, CCK, nomad, and every DirecTV DVR on a UPS. Have had many situations over the years where there was a quick power glitch and everything just kept rolling along. Not required, but it's my standard with mostly APC BE-750G units. Also have all the network gear, and computer gear on the same infrastructure.

For long power outages, I always power up the SWiMs first, then the CCK, then the receivers and nomad.

Edited by Sixto, 28 February 2013 - 12:26 AM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

My SWM16 is connected to a UPS, just like my DVRs. That way, even during a power failure, the DVRs can continue to receive and record satellite signals.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

I have my DVR's on UPS's. My SWiM does not have a separate power source does it?
I thought it was powered by the one dvr?

#6 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

There's a Power Inserter on your SWM.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have my DVR's on UPS's. My SWiM does not have a separate power source does it?
I thought it was powered by the one dvr?

Yes it has a separate power source .... the SWM Power Inserter.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

No point in having anything on a UPS if the SWM isn't.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,856 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

My SWM, and all my DVRs are on (multiple) UPS.

#10 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

My SWM and DVRs are on ups. I don't think I'd do one without the other.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,292 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Thank for all for the replies! It sounds like there is no benefit to having my SWM-16s on a UPS since my receivers aren't (and can't be, there are 22 in various different locations so it wouldn't be practical) so I'll stick with a surge protected outlet for them.

spam firewall