Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CBS Works to Silence Tweet about DISH's Hopper

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Network demands ‘The Big Bang Theory' star pull tweet from @KaleyCuoco

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- CBS late yesterday continued its war on progress. The network demanded that "The Big Bang Theory" star Kaley Cuoco remove from Twitter a sponsored tweet she posted earlier in the day endorsing DISH's Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR (NASDAQ: DISH).

Kaley Cuoco Tweet - February 27, 2013 (Photo: Business Wire)
"It's disappointing that CBS — once the exemplar of editorial independence and innovation — continues to use its heavy hand to hold back progress from consumers," said Joe Clayton, DISH president and CEO.

In just a few short hours, Cuoco's tweet had earned thousands of clicks from consumers interested in learning more about the DISH DVR experience.

"Clearly, with this kind of response, consumers have a true interest in the types of innovations the DISH Hopper offers," said Clayton. "It's a shame that CBS, despite its legacy, feels it needs to thwart this kind of consumer demand."

CBS, along with other major broadcast networks, has consistently refused to air commercial advertising featuring DISH's Hopper.

Last month, CBS Corp. unfairly forced CNET to disqualify DISH's Hopper with Sling® Whole-Home HD DVR from CNET's "Best of CES" awards program. CBS Corp, which is CNET's parent, has sued DISH over Hopper's consumer-friendly PrimeTime Anytime™ and the AutoHop™ commercial-skipping features.

DISH's new Hopper with Sling, unveiled at the 2013 International CES, makes available several capabilities that improve the DISH experience at home and on the go, giving customers the ability (if they want) to watch live and recorded television from home anywhere on Internet-connected tablets, smartphones and PCs at no additional charge using the Hopper's new built-in Sling capabilities, as well as watch television on an iPad without an Internet connection. See more at:

http://about.dish.co...h.IGtF4y0n.dpuf

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.056 million satellite TV customers, as of Dec. 31, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

You would think that by now that CBS would learn that this kind of thing tends to backfire on them. They try to squelch someone else talking about the Hopper and as a result it ends up getting even more attention than if they just left it alone. As an example I would've never known that Kaley Cuoco had tweeted anything about the Hopper if CBS hadn't tried to have it removed.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Her tweet didn't even mention ad skipping...

#4 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Fortunately for her, the show is a Chuck Lorre Productions along with Warner Bros. Television. CBS can be rather petulant at times.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

By the way, I wonder if we'll see a Lorre Vanity Card about this after a "BBT" episode? :grin:

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Here's the Tweet from what was probably the first news story on it at The Wrap:

Posted Image

The story explains:

Cuoco tweeted an ad for the Hopper that does not mention Auto Hop. Rather, it features friends watching TV on a tiny phone as they drink tiny beers, and notes that the Hopper allows people to watch their favorite programs on tablets and phones.

While the tweet may have gotten some potential Dish customers to look further, Dish couldn't have asked CBS for a better promo by creating a flurry of news stories - they're everywhere.:sure:

My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Here's the Tweet from what was probably the first news story on it at The Wrap:

Posted Image

The story explains: While the tweet may have gotten some potential Dish customers to look further, Dish couldn't have asked CBS for a better promo by creating a flurry of news stories - they're everywhere.:sure:

lol that is awesome. Nothing like the networks helping bring publicity to this right. Maybe it was a great move after all for Dish to just say you know what, we are releasing it until were told not to. That being said, I wonder if we will see more carriage disputes with dish over this in the upcoming years. Its pretty obvious that FOX and CBS are pretty upset over this.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

A spokesman for CBS says no demands were made.

http://www.adweek.co...er-tweet-147591

#9 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yes we have a new story from The Wrap CBS Denies Demanding Kaley Cuoco Delete Dish Tweet (Update) which says:

"Once again, Joe Clayton demonstrates his dubious gift for hyperbole and hucksterism," the network said in a statement to TheWrap. "No demands were made, but it's clear that Dish's culture of fabrication is alive and well."

Dish is known for its tough negotiations and for getting under the skin of networks with which it has conflicts. Recruiting Cuoco, the star of one of CBS's top shows, might seem an ideal way to rankle the network. But Dish said it paid her for the tweet because of her influence, just as it has paid others to endorse its products online.

Cuoco seems be the only one, however, who appears on a network that is suing Dish.

This is one of those "I don't care what you say about me, just spell my name correctly" things for Dish. The issue is now a headline for a second day.:rolleyes:

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Literally one button recording of all primetime CBS shows every day of the year.

Seems like someone in the CBS organization might have a clue at some point.

#11 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

A spokesman for CBS says no demands were made.

http://www.adweek.co...er-tweet-147591

Obviously carefully worded response from CBS here. Notice how they specifically say "no demands were made". Probably technically true, however I bet Ms Cuoco's representatives got a message from CBS's reps on how it would be in her best interest to have that tweet removed.

Oh and here's msn's story on the whole affair:http://tv.msn.com/tv...spx?news=793305

#12 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

As much as I think devious might apply to Clayton, I really don't believe that there was no communication from someone on CBS side to someone on Cuoco's side. And probably Cuoco's side asked Dish's folks if they could take it down. And after the Dish folks got done with their victory dance, they sent out the news release....

Just my script of how things may have happened.

My AV Setup

#13 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

From this Forbes story:

Hasn’t anyone at CBS ever heard of the Streisand Effect? First, the broadcaster ordered its tech news website, CNET, to withdraw an award it had given to Hopper, Dish Network’s ad-skipping DVR, because CBS is in the midst of trying to sue it out of existence. That didn’t work out so well.

Now, the network stands accused of forcing “Big Bang Theory” star Kaley Cuoco to take down a paid tweet she posted promoting Hopper to her 1.2 million Twitter followers. That led to an exchange of verbal fire between Dish and CBS and, inevitably, more attention the Hopper than probably would have resulted from just leaving the tweet up.

...One example of creativity: sponsoring Scott Speed’s car at the Daytona 500 last weekend. With Speed leading for four laps, Fox, which broadcast the race, had no choice but to televise what amounted to a big Hopper ad. “That’s great exposure for the Dish brand on Fox,” says Moorhead.

The important thing is the stats offered seem to indicate that the effort is producing brand awareness on the cheap.

My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Very interesting.

Thanks

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Threads merged.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,426 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

The irony again here... much like what FOX attempted to do with Nascar last weekend and the Dish sponsored car...

CBS is saying Dish is interfering with their ads... and then CBS proceeds to interfere with Dish ads. It kind of undercuts their argument that "commercials are sacred" when they try to silence a Dish-sponsored tweet.

In the scheme of things... it isn't a major thing, but Dish more than gets their money's worth of publicity out of it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall