Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ESPN Ordered to Pay Dish Network $4.86 Million for Breach of Contract

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,804 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

O.K. JL, you win,:lol:

Actually we all lose ... our remote control only lets us choose what channels we watch of the ones available. It does not allow us to change what the channels broadcast.

We can show our displeasure at what ESPN has on by watching something else ... but as long as the channel pulls in viewers for their headline shows the filler sports and commentary shows don't have to carry the network.

I guess since espn is "entertainment and sports programming network" the channels filled without the sports part is suppose to be entertainment.

It could be. But many channels do not live up to their names. Remember when MTV played music videos? Now we have four channels of MTV/VH1 and much of the programming is barely related to music. (Married ... With Children is on one of those music channels tonight - the connection to music? The show has a theme song.)

Speedvision went from filling their hours with racing to Speed filling their hours with vehicle related shows. And the future is "yet another ESPN" ... which is probably better than all the "reality" shows. (FS1 will have a heavy NASCAR footprint ... with Sprint Cup races in 2015. But for people who like the reality shows they will have to hope it ends up on Fuel/FS2 or another channel like Velocity. Perhaps "R U Faster than a Redneck" can air on History or H2? History made every day ...)

Hmmm ... perhaps if I put new batteries in my remote it will change the programming as well as the channel. :)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

I get it JL, and I agree with you.

I think the real issue I was trying to put forth was the cost ESPN represents in comparison to other broadcasts.

Again, all about the $.

Perhaps with the new boys on the block, [ F1, F2] they will either step up their game or lose some bargaining power. [ or Ergen will give them what they want:nono2:]

I know you're kidding about the History channel [ R U....] but IMO, That once excellent channel is less than a shadow of it's former self.

As far as the music channels go, the only one worth anything is palladia, imo.

#78 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,804 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

I know you're kidding about the History channel [ R U....] but IMO, That once excellent channel is less than a shadow of it's former self.

"History" is showing several hours of Larry the Cable Guy today. I wish I could say R U would never show up on History but I can't be sure. :(
Then again, the only thing I watched on History is Ice Road Truckers so perhaps I am part of the problem. :lol:

ESPN has me for NASCAR ... but nothing else. If I could have a 24/7 NASCAR channel that would show the feed from ESPN or ESPN2 when NASCAR is on, the feed from Speed when NASCAR is on, the feed from TBS or TNT when NASCAR is on ... it would get complicated with local network stations when NASCAR was on Fox or ABC broadcast. But when I sit down and say "I want to watch NASCAR" it would be nice not to hunt.

And I'm sure that others feel the same about their favorite sports and teams. A Detroit Tigers fan probably wouldn't mind having a single channel they could tune to that would always be the game ... even if the game was on ESPN or MLB Network instead of their local RSN.

But with ESPN owning some games, MLBN owning some games, FSDetroit owning some games and MLB EI owning anything that has not been sold having such a channel would still require subscribing to all the channels that would be part of the mix. Making people subscribe to THEIR channel is the channel provider's goal - and having some of each type of content on their channel is their best bet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...