Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Wireless network Connection Kit

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johndoe1000

johndoe1000

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

I am wondering if this is worth the $75? I'd really like to take advantage of the On Demand features.....but I'm wondering if its possible to get the kit at a discount somehow?? I can hook it up myself, but I don't want to get tied in to another 2 year contract just for buying equipment from them.

I have an HR24/500.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Got mine off the 'bay. They are pretty inexpensive there. Installed it myself in a couple of minutes.

JVC HD-52G886 w/HR34-700 & C31-700 networked with WCCK
JVC AV-32320 w/HR22-1000
SHARP 13L-M100 w/C31-700

SLIMLINE 5S (SWM)

#3 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

There is no contract for a wireless connection kit. It depends on the person if it's worth it. I personally think it's worth it because I like to watch things on impulse, I also like to download entire seasons of shows I haven't watched yet. You might be able to get one cheaper used somewhere.

#4 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I am wondering if this is worth the $75? I'd really like to take advantage of the On Demand features.....but I'm wondering if its possible to get the kit at a discount somehow?? I can hook it up myself, but I don't want to get tied in to another 2 year contract just for buying equipment from them.

I have an HR24/500.

DirecTV has a running promotion where you can get one shipped to you for $25 plus $6.99 S&H ONLY IF you have a SWM with whole home dvr service active, have wireless internet, have never had a kit ordered and your receivers have never been connected to broadband for the time they have been on your account.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,762 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Or if somehow a tech goes to your house, either by service call or upgrade, they will install it FREE
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   briarnh

briarnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

The Directv installer confiscated my purchased ($75.00) wireless adapter during a recent update to SWM,WH,HR34. I was wondering if this was normal procedure for the installer to take the adapter even though I purchased it from DTV? Is it fact that my purchase of this adapter is regulated under the equipment lease agreement and still belongs to Directv?

Edited by briarnh, 01 March 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

My Directv installer confiscated my purchased ($75.00) wireless adapter during a recent update to SWM,WH,HR34. I was wondering if this was normal procedure for the installer to take the adapter even though I purchased it from DTV? Is it fact that my purchase of this adapter is regulated under the equipment lease agreement and still belongs to Directv?

Confiscated, really? Or did he just take it along as you'll not need it? Was there any discussion with him?

If you purchased it it's yours. Could have been a simple mistake, even an oversight.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   briarnh

briarnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Installer was informed that I had paid $75.00 for the CCK. Giving him the benefit of doubt I would assume that he figured that I would not require it anymore. if it is my property I would have liked to retain the unit.
Perhaps a call to Directv will get me a reimbursement of some sorts?

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

But he didn't confiscate it, then. I'd try to reach him to have him return it on his next pass through your area.

You'll not need it, so it's not a real issue, is it?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

DirecTV has a running promotion where you can get one shipped to you for $25 plus $6.99 S&H ONLY IF you have a SWM with whole home dvr service active, have wireless internet, have never had a kit ordered and your receivers have never been connected to broadband for the time they have been on your account.

Really? I paid the $25 plus shipping for the last three I bought from DirecTV.
But then maybe I'm special. :lol:

edit - looks like they fixed this, now the website wants me to add a receiver first before they will put the WCCK in the cart.

Edited by dettxw, 01 March 2013 - 10:46 AM.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#11 OFFLINE   briarnh

briarnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I do not require CCK any longer but seeing I paid $ $79.95 perhaps
I can give it to a friend that may require a CCK.
I will attempt retrieval. If not, no big deal. Appreciate your assist

#12 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

If nothing else you can sell it on eBay...if the Tech hasn't already done that.

Something is feeding the 'gray market' on this stuff. It's probably stuff like this.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#13 OFFLINE   johndoe1000

johndoe1000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if I have a single wire multi-switch....where would I look to know?

It probably doesn't matter because I don't have the whole-home DVR service (though I do use the DVR a LOT on my main set with the HR24). I only have HD in one room, and the other three TVs are still using old SD phillips boxes originally from '02 when I signed up (all 3 TVs are old Tube style sets), if you can believe it.

I do network wirelessly in my home, and have smartphones, a tablet, and PS3 that access the network, which I set up myself, but I guess I haven't felt the need to upgrade the other TVs. I will probably get around to it someday. But I still want to add the D* to the network.

No its never been connected to broadband and I've never ordered a kit before, but I obviously don't meet all of those requirements.

Thanks for the info, though.

#14 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

You do still have an option and that would be to hook the HR up directly to the network. Hardwired would be best but you can use wireless using an access point in client mode. The CCK (either wired or wireless) only work in a SWM/DECA environment
My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

You do still have an option and that would be to hook the HR up directly to the network. Hardwired would be best but you can use wireless using an access point in client mode. The CCK (either wired or wireless) only work in a SWM/DECA environment

The WCCK works just like any wireless adapter, no SWM or DECA required.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

The WCCK works just like any wireless adapter, no SWM or DECA required.

Thank you for the correction, I was not aware of that. I was under the impression that it worked just like the wired kit, taking a network signal and feeding it into the DECA network
My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Without SWM it dosnt connect to the coax and only provides service to one HR via Ethernet.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#18 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Or if somehow a tech goes to your house, either by service call or upgrade, they will install it FREE

Yep. This happened at a friend's house recently. Something needed to be done to fix a problem in his son's bedroom. During the visit, my friend asked how he could access VOD on his DVR and the tech installed a wireless CCK for him at no charge.

#19 OFFLINE   briarnh

briarnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Contacted technician he was in the area and he promptly returned My CCW. (Latest model CCW)Technician advised that my unit was solely configured to my router network and that it would only be a paperweight for anyone else attempting to connect wireless at their location. He stated that it would have to be reconfigured for use at a different subscribers location and that he has never performed reconfiguration of a CCW for usage elsewhere. What about used ones purchased via E-Bay? Technician did a great installation,appeared knowledgeable,and I would like to believe his statements. Comments appreciated.

#20 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Contacted technician he was in the area and he promptly returned My CCW. (Latest model CCW)Technician advised that my unit was solely configured to my router network and that it would only be a paperweight for anyone else attempting to connect wireless at their location. He stated that it would have to be reconfigured for use at a different subscribers location and that he has never performed reconfiguration of a CCW for usage elsewhere. What about used ones purchased via E-Bay? Technician did a great installation,appeared knowledgeable,and I would like to believe his statements. Comments appreciated.

This reconfiguration issues line he is giving you is essentially hokum.

If the new location has WPS it can be configured with a pushbutton. If not it's no more difficult to manually enter a different wireless encryption key than it is on a first time setup.

I seriously think this guy planned to sell it himself. He's sure going out of his way to make you believe it is worthless. I mean, what does he care? It's yours. If you want it and it really is worthless why does he care and why did he take it in the first place?
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

Protected By... spam firewall...And...