Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Wireless network Connection Kit

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   briarnh

briarnh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

This reconfiguration issues line he is giving you is essentially hokum.

If the new location has WPS it can be configured with a pushbutton. If not it's no more difficult to manually enter a different wireless encryption key than it is on a first time setup.

I seriously think this guy planned to sell it himself. He's sure going out of his way to make you believe it is worthless. I mean, what does he care? It's yours. If you want it and it really is worthless why does he care and why did he take it in the first place?

. Based upon my previous success in setting up wireless equipment the statements from this technician did not make any sense. Realizing that I'm never too old to learn and to give the tech the benefit of doubt I posted this thread hoping some feedback would verify my thoughts. I do not want to criticize the technician but it appears that he has never attempted to set up a wireless connection manually. His advice surely had me guessing. You may be correct HarleyD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

This reconfiguration issues line he is giving you is essentially hokum.

Agreed. The wireless connection kit just allows the receiver to access the internet. It does not get set to specific network and then become useless. It's more-or-less a bridge for the receiver to access the wireless network(the network settings affecting the receiver not the connection device).
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#23 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm not sure if I have a single wire multi-switch....where would I look to know?

Unless you have a separate dish/switch running your Phillips receivers, you don't have a SWM.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#24 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

. Based upon my previous success in setting up wireless equipment the statements from this technician did not make any sense. Realizing that I'm never too old to learn and to give the tech the benefit of doubt I posted this thread hoping some feedback would verify my thoughts. I do not want to criticize the technician but it appears that he has never attempted to set up a wireless connection manually. His advice surely had me guessing. You may be correct HarleyD

I would probably be best advised to stick to the factual and stay away from speculation...especially where it maligns someone I don't actually know anything about.

So, the facts are the CCK-W it just as transferable and re-configurable as any piece of wireless equipment. There would be nothing to prevent a subsequent user from re-configuring it for their wireless network.

If this were not the case, what would happen if your own wireless router failed and had to be replaced with a new one with a new encryption key? Would the CCK-W then need to be replaced as well? No. It's essentially the same thing from a technology implementation point of view.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Contacted technician he was in the area and he promptly returned My CCW. (Latest model CCW)Technician advised that my unit was solely configured to my router network and that it would only be a paperweight for anyone else attempting to connect wireless at their location. He stated that it would have to be reconfigured for use at a different subscribers location and that he has never performed reconfiguration of a CCW for usage elsewhere. What about used ones purchased via E-Bay? Technician did a great installation,appeared knowledgeable,and I would like to believe his statements. Comments appreciated.

As HarleyD has pointed out, this tech wasn't up to speed with the WCCK.
There's a factory reset button above the connectors, but to change networks you simply rerun the network setup from a receiver.
I had to do this when I moved and changed from DSL to U-Verse and a new router.
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   Tisby

Tisby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

It's been several months since I've run into a situation like this, but I've had problems getting a WCCK to connect to a different network if the network it was originally connected to is still present. IE: Customer connects to neighbors unsecured WIFI and then wants to switch it to their WIFI instead. Saw this on a service call and even using WPS couldn't get that sucker to connect to the correct network. Grabbed another one out of the truck and connected like a charm.

Also, as far as that the technician taking the WCCK... My office has a huge bin of reclaimed equipment (LNBs, multiswitches, CCKs, WCCKS, DECAs) that goes back to DTV. Hopefully that's where this one was headed. I always ask customers before I take equipment and maybe 1 in 20/25 wants to keep it. The reality for most people of it collecting dust on a shelf is usually why they give it up.

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

It's been several months since I've run into a situation like this, but I've had problems getting a WCCK to connect to a different network if the network it was originally connected to is still present. IE: Customer connects to neighbors unsecured WIFI and then wants to switch it to their WIFI instead. Saw this on a service call and even using WPS couldn't get that sucker to connect to the correct network. Grabbed another one out of the truck and connected like a charm.

Should you run into this again, the factory reset [small recessed button above the connectors] will return the WCCK to the same condition as pulling another off the truck.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   Tisby

Tisby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

Should you run into this again, the factory reset [small recessed button above the connectors] will return the WCCK to the same condition as pulling another off the truck.

Tried that, didn't work. As soon as it got done resetting itself, the WLAN light illuminated & it was connected to their neighbor's WIFI again. Maybe a one-off... :shrug:

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

Tried that, didn't work. As soon as it got done resetting itself, the WLAN light illuminated & it was connected to their neighbor's WIFI again. Maybe a one-off... :shrug:

I've been doing this with the WCCK since the early testing days and it's always worked.
If you went back to the old network, it didn't get reset.
This is the button that needs a paperclip to press and it may take a press & hold but it's always reset the WCCK back to factory settings.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   alc965

alc965

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

I got my kit free. All I did was ask.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...