Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New install of HR34 and DECA question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   george.labelle

george.labelle

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Could not find the answer to this, since I seem to be unique - I only have one Rx installation, the new HR34. The installer gave me the new SL3 LNB and ran one coax to a splitter. The 2 lines from the splitter come into my HT and he connected one to the power inserter (OK, even tho I think this should be built into the Rx too), and one line to a DECA where he connected the ethernet cable!? Now the Rx gets the ethernet from the cable going back up to the switch (a 2-way SiWM) which seems stupid to me. If I understand correctly, the DECA puts internet access on coax, for other receivers to get (I don't have, nor plan to have any other receivers).

Can I pull this DECA out, and connect the ethernet directly to my HR34? What do I do with the other line from the 2-way switch, or do I even need that? Or should I terminate it? Or can I leave it open?

Thanks!
George in Aloha, Oregon

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

Could not find the answer to this, since I seem to be unique - I only have one Rx installation, the new HR34. The installer gave me the new SL3 LNB and ran one coax to a splitter. The 2 lines from the splitter come into my HT and he connected one to the power inserter (OK, even tho I think this should be built into the Rx too), and one line to a DECA where he connected the ethernet cable!? Now the Rx gets the ethernet from the cable going back up to the switch (a 2-way SiWM) which seems stupid to me. If I understand correctly, the DECA puts internet access on coax, for other receivers to get (I don't have, nor plan to have any other receivers).

Can I pull this DECA out, and connect the ethernet directly to my HR34? What do I do with the other line from the 2-way switch, or do I even need that? Or should I terminate it? Or can I leave it open?
Thanks!
George in Aloha, Oregon

The DECA Adapter serves couple of functions:
1. As you mentioned it allows 2 way communication between the HR34 and other receivers in your home. Since you only have the HR34, this doesn't really benefit you in this manner.
2. It seperates your traffic to a individualized subnet for more efficient packet flow. On demand, youtube, pandora, etc will have more efficient thoughput.
3. This is the officially supported method of connection as far as DirecTV is concearned for touble shooting.

You can search for multiple discussions on this topic here on the forum.

But to answer your question, you could pull out the DECA adapter and the 2 way splitter. You basically would run the coaxial line from the SWM LNB to the power inserter, then out of the power inserter to the HR34's Sat 1 input. Then connect an ethernet cable from your router to the HR34's RJ45 input.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

into my HT and he connected one to the power inserter (OK, even tho I think this should be built into the Rx too),

and what happens if you have more than one receiver? Which receiver gets to power the dish??? Ok, have a way the software could shutdown the power to the dish on the other receivers. But then the question is, why would DirecTV want to include a built in power inserter on every receiver when only one is needed?? seems like a waste of resources…….
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   DTV101412

DTV101412

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

and what happens if you have more than one receiver? Which receiver gets to power the dish??? Ok, have a way the software could shutdown the power to the dish on the other receivers. But then the question is, why would DirecTV want to include a built in power inserter on every receiver when only one is needed?? seems like a waste of resources…….

No rx is powering your dish that's what the "power inserter" is for

#5 OFFLINE   jasonp197722

jasonp197722

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

to answer your question yes you can remove the deca and plug directly into the hr34. the hr34 has this bit built in and it is unnecessary. it may have just seemed to be the easiest way to the tech to get you connected.the wiring should run like this the feed from the dish should go into the red port on the powerinserter labeled toward SWM. the other port on the inserter goes to the receiver or IRD.

#6 OFFLINE   george.labelle

george.labelle

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thanks to you DBS experts. I suspected the answer was that I could remove the deca. Wasn't sure about the splitter, but this makes sense. I just wanted to clean up some of the rats nest behind the equipment, and eliminate any unnecessary stages.

The rest of the story... The tech showed at 12 Noon on "replace HR20 with HR34 day". New receiver would not get past "Step 1 of 2". Tested, swapped switches and even swapped another SWM LNB. Waste of time, since when he forced firmware download, that was working perfectly. So he opened another brand new box - same problem! He called back to tech support about 5 times. Turned out he had 2 bad brand new Rxs out of the box! Probably 1 in 25,000 odds. His supervisor showed up with him next day to install yet another Rx which worked! Except, he removed the power cable I had left for him, neatly tie wrapped to the correct length and plugged into a switched power outlet. After my receiver had to reboot twice and I had no recordings, I discovered this ;-)

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

to answer your question yes you can remove the deca and plug directly into the hr34. the hr34 has this bit built in and it is unnecessary. it may have just seemed to be the easiest way to the tech to get you connected.the wiring should run like this the feed from the dish should go into the red port on the powerinserter labeled toward SWM. the other port on the inserter goes to the receiver or IRD.

It's the 'official' way. I had a new install a month ago, by a very competent five year man, but he was taken aback when I showed him how the HR34 could be the sole internet link.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

It isn't that the Genie has an internal DECA, as the HR24 does also, BUT that only the Genie doesn't disable the DECA when you plug in an ethernet cable.
Try this with a HR24 and it turns off the DECA.

It's the 'official' way. I had a new install a month ago, by a very competent five year man, but he was taken aback when I showed him how the HR34 could be the sole internet link.

"More than likely" this tech knew what happens with a H/HR24 and using an ethernet cable, but didn't know that the Genie doesn't do the same thing.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

It isn't that the Genie has an internal DECA, as the HR24 does also, BUT that only the Genie doesn't disable the DECA when you plug in an ethernet cable.
Try this with a HR24 and it turns off the DECA.

"More than likely" this tech knew what happens with a H/HR24 and using an ethernet cable, but didn't know that the Genie doesn't do the same thing.

Bingo. He even mentioned what happens on the 24 when you plug ethernet into it: rest of network goes down.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall