Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Fresno County. We didn't even ask for a specific model. Guy just showed up with the HR44.

How come your HR44 has ZIP set to 0 ? Shouldn't be for proper functioning ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   KLin

KLin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Don't know. Perhaps I should set that up? :P

#183 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Don't know. Perhaps I should set that up? :P

I would ... perhaps time would be corrected ...

#184 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Right there is only for the "Dish Pointing" screen in repeat satellite setup. It won't change any features or functions...
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#185 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

As JBv says, the zip code in the receiver has no function other than giving you the correct azimuth/elevation/tilt readings so you can set up the dish. Most installers working in only one area know what these numbers are and so don't bother to input the zip code. It does not matter. The service address zip code is set up in the DirecTV computer system and this is what determines the time zone.

#186 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

As JBv says, the zip code in the receiver has no function other than giving you the correct azimuth/elevation/tilt readings so you can set up the dish. Most installers working in only one area know what these numbers are and so don't bother to input the zip code. It does not matter. The service address zip code is set up in the DirecTV computer system and this is what determines the time zone.

But your STB is not connected to "the DirecTV computer system" :nono2:

#187 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

My Zip code is not set on my HR34 and the time is correct.

#188 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

But your STB is not connected to "the DirecTV computer system" :nono2:

It is via satellite. When activated it gets all that info sent to it in the authorizations. It's why prior to activation time is incorrect on setup screens then once it gets activation signal it get corrected and proper local channels.

So while it may not be continuously connected it is connected. And if net is connected it makes often connections to DirecTVs system.

As previously stated zip code on box is only for dish alignment to show on screen ax/el/tilt adjustments.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#189 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

My eyes could be deceiving me, but I'm pretty sure that says HR44 and not HR34. :D

Sorry if I came across discrediting you. West9999 corrected me, my error. Didn't realize Fresno was a market for the 44s.

Edited by dishinitout, 13 April 2013 - 09:02 AM.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#190 OFFLINE   KLin

KLin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Sorry if I came across discrediting you. West9999 corrected me, my error. Didn't realize Fresno was a market for the 44s.

It's no problem. I'm just a n00b on here anyways. :)

#191 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

My Zip code is not set on my HR34 and the time is correct.

I've never seen my zip code set on any of the receivers I've had/have either. Never made a difference.

#192 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

There are two places to enter a Zip Code:
One is for dish alignment.
The other is for OTA setup.
If you don't enter it in either place, it doesn't matter.
A.K.A VOS

#193 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Well, I am now scheduled for a genie install for next week Saturday. I am in the Saint Louis area, so I am hoping for the HR44. This is probably my best shot at getting an HR44 for free (my upgrade was totally free) unless they quickly pull the HR34 from the market (doubtful).

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#194 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

As of today, still no HR44's in San Diego.  The installer said they were briefed on them a week and a half ago but no date was given.

DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#195 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Charlotte, NC
Cleveland, OH
Denver, CO
Des Moines, IA
Fresno, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Phoenix, AZ
Pittsburg, PA
Raleigh, NC
St Louis, MO
Los Angeles, CA (Not all parts)

Yes. New house coming up. Finally no more trees so I can return to D*. And I see Des Moines on this list. Gotta love it!

#196 OFFLINE   Kash76

Kash76

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

So based on the comments it looks like my order today for a "Genie" means that I will get a HR44. Has anyone else in the Minneapolis market had one installed?

Kash76
--
HR44-500 --> Panasonic Plasma 50" via HDMI

C41-700 --> Panasonic Plasma 42" via HDMI

H25 --> HDMI split to Vizio 24" 720p & Vizio 24" 1080p 

#197 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

My new Genie Upgrade has been complete.  Here is my initial Review of the whole install process and a preliminary look at the DVR.  Sorry for the rambling length

Info:  I am in the Saint Louis test market and decided to roll the dice and pray to the digital broadcast gods that I would get an HR44 instead of the slow HR34.  My upgrade was free so I could live with a 34, but since we are a test market, I decided to go for it.

Initial Call to Directv:  Initial call went ok.  They offered me a free Genie and Genie mini along with an install.  I explained to them that I have an original 5 lnb hd dvr dish that is having issues and I want a new dish also.  They said putting a new dish install with a new dvr install upgrade is not possible.  After getting into a little argument with her, I asked her if an installer cannot find all of the satellites on the dvr signal meter what would they do?  She said the installer would fix the dish then....ok...so dont put it on the order and surprise the installer then (poor guy).  I agreed to the offer and the install date was set.

Install:  Installer showed up in the install window (yay...that's half the battle).  He took one look at the dish and said that directv went around 5 years ago and replaced that model and he will just install a new one for me (wow...glad he didnt even try to get signal from it).  

He then brought in the Genie cardboard boxes.  From the size of the boxes I knew it was an HR44 (no way an HR34 would fit in that).  I told him I was happy it was an HR44, and he was somewhat surprised I knew what that was.  He told me they just brought them out recently here in Saint Louis.  He installed the new dish and installed the new genie mini, then he installed the genie and did the dvr update.  

I felt bad for him because he didnt know he would have to install a new dish (and thank goodness he had one on him).  He did a great job hooking everything up.  He put the power inserter on the mini (he didnt ask which one I prefer).  He did not want to give me the new remotes because they are such a pain to setup.  I told him I could do that later, so he went back to the truck and gave them to me.  I left him a nice tip and he was on his way.

After he left I switched the inserter to the regular genie and then went to the new splitter he installed and switched the power inserter cabling.  Everything is running GREAT!

HR44 Review:

HR44...wow is this thing fast!  Coming from an HR20 and HR21, this thing is blazing!  And it is so small and quiet!    All of the reviews so far are true.

HR41 Genie Mini Review:

Very small...that's about it.  The lag is kind of strange...instead of a lag that made you feel like the DVR is thinking (like the HR20/HR21 lag) it feels more like a signal transfer lag.  Still slightly faster than my HR20/21 but nowhere as quick as the Genie itself.  

Later on I will be trying to make my Genie Mini wireless with my old Cinema Connection kit...Ill post again once I finish that.

Edited by tpm1999, 20 April 2013 - 01:55 PM.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#198 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

After he left I switched the inserter to the regular genie and then went to the new splitter he installed and switched the power inserter cabling.  Everything is running GREAT!

Is there a reason you would do that? The installer may have put it on the other line for a reason. It could be the shortest line to the satellite, or a newer line, etc.... I don't know the reason it was put there but do you have a good reason to move it? In Directv's system the tech has to list where the power inserter was put and if the job gets QC'd then the tech could possibly get dinged for not listing it correctly. It is also recommended to not have the power inserter directly inline with a receiver so you may be causing more problems by putting it so close to the HR44.  

#199 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Is there a reason you would do that? The installer may have put it on the other line for a reason. It could be the shortest line to the satellite, or a newer line, etc.... I don't know the reason it was put there but do you have a good reason to move it? In Directv's system the tech has to list where the power inserter was put and if the job gets QC'd then the tech could possibly get dinged for not listing it correctly. It is also recommended to not have the power inserter directly inline with a receiver so you may be causing more problems by putting it so close to the HR44.

The run length is the same. I was just thinking ahead for when I want to make the genie mini wireless. Just because I liked the installer so much I'll switch it back for now...no need for a job well done to be punished. :-)

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#200 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

Further HR44/C41 Comments:

1.  Both are sooo much quieter and have less obtrusive LED lights than our old HR20/HR21.  It is surprisingly quiet in the rooms where the DVRs harddrives used to whirl and thrash.  I am still shocked that my original launch HR20 from 2006 was still working all these years.

2.  I have gotten used to the Genie Mini lag.  Right now I am trying to figure out what else to put on my tv stand where my HR20 used to sit. 

3.  It would be nice if the C41 Genie mini had a red light if the main HR44 Genie was recording something.  I miss that visual sign that says, "yep your show is definitely recording".  I know the genie mini isnt a receiver/DVR...but I miss that physical light.  So now I have to confirm it is recording my show by going to my recordings or going to its place in the guide.

4.  This is probably a bug (I havent had time to search out the issues thread) but on the main HR44 Genie, when selecting the close captioning font, the fonts are not displayed in their respective style.  The C41 does it correctly, but the HR44 just shows a generic font.

One thing that will take the longest to get used to is sharing a recording playlist.  My wife and I's tv show preferences are TOTALLY different.  Looking at my recordings I kept saying... "I didnt record that...why is this on there".  Also for the few shows that both of us like, I will have to talk to her before deleting them (yeah...I know...the horror).  It was nice to have separate DVRs just to keep our tastes and control of recordings separate.

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...