Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:27 AM

Why are they a pain to install?  They seem as easy as anything else.

I can't ever get them to take a software update when they are initially turned on. This results in activating and then trying to force the software update, which normally works. I've had about two that refused to be forced and then started while I was activating clients.  This resulted in the C41's returning to the enter pin screen once the HR44 updated. The C41's always find the flash update while I am trying to program the remotes.

I did an upgrade where the customer had one HR22 that was a swap, her only receiver. A service tech had been there a few months before and replaced the pole, dish, lnb and all the connectors.  Simple. The HR44 wouldn't update. Once activated the default was show all channels. A channel up got me a 771 on the sd locals. She said that was fine, I disagreed. The signal strengths were all perfect, except for the zero's straight down the middle on the 101. Once the software finally updated after about four RBR's and 02468's everything was straight.

Everything seems really stable once all the software updates are done. No service calls for gray screens. WooHoo!

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,028 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

I do a forced software download just about every Friday night on my HR44 and the only 'trick' I do is enter the code as soon as the front panel LED's come on. Sometimes it just take too long for the TV and HR44 to sync over HDMI and you miss the first bootup screen, so I just use the LED's to know when to do it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#243 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Techs have been going on the power light since the 24's came out. 34's were different, hesitate at the power light and go on the rest of the led's. 44's fresh out of the box don't pay attention to anything. Most of the time they take the download once they are activated and then rebooted and forced at the power light. Sometimes they are just a pain in the butt.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#244 OFFLINE   azjerry

azjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

I added an HR44 and C41 to the HR22 I previously had and enabled whole home on all. I moved all the recording schedules to the HR44 and have watched and deleted every recording on the HR22. I've verified there are no recordings nor scheduled recordings on the HR22.

When going through my playlist I ,, number of the recordings show the name of the HR22 whichimplies to me that they were recorded on the HR22. Yesterday I tried to view an episode of Revolution so marked but it had actually recorded some other show. I deleted that one and viewed the last recorded episode of Revolution (not marked as from the HR22) and it was fine. I also checked a couple of the other recordings marked as from the HR22 and they seem to be OK.

#245 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

We live outside of Des Moines. We returned to D* on Sunday and have the HR44. So far, so good. I was able to connect it to our wireless router to use the On Demand functionality.

#246 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I added an HR44 and C41 to the HR22 I previously had and enabled whole home on all. I moved all the recording schedules to the HR44 and have watched and deleted every recording on the HR22. I've verified there are no recordings nor scheduled recordings on the HR22.

When going through my playlist I ,, number of the recordings show the name of the HR22 whichimplies to me that they were recorded on the HR22. Yesterday I tried to view an episode of Revolution so marked but it had actually recorded some other show. I deleted that one and viewed the last recorded episode of Revolution (not marked as from the HR22) and it was fine. I also checked a couple of the other recordings marked as from the HR22 and they seem to be OK.

Revolution was listed but not shown one night due to the Boston bombings, I believe.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#247 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Do you guys think it is possible that a DirecTV retailer in one of the beta markets would have the HR44 available to purchase?

I ask because I will be visiting the Charlotte area next week and could stop by such retailer if anyone knew of such.

Thanks

#248 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Do you guys think it is possible that a DirecTV retailer in one of the beta markets would have the HR44 available to purchase?

I ask because I will be visiting the Charlotte area next week and could stop by such retailer if anyone knew of such.

Thanks

I doubt they'll have enough stock to offer them to you. You can always try but the odds aren't good.

Realize that if you did get one it will be a lease and not owned.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#249 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Relax ! It' just PayTV. :D  Perhaps less then that - just new DVR. :)

LOL, I Know, since I do this only every 7-8 years, I wanted to do it right!

bob

#250 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

So it sounds like i need to hope and pray that this summer lightning takes out my HR34 and when the installer comes hope that the only "genie" he has on the truck is a HR44... I think i have a better chance of hitting the powerball mutiple times than this happening but, one can dream right?

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#251 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

So it sounds like i need to hope and pray that this summer lightning takes out my HR34 and when the installer comes hope that the only "genie" he has on the truck is a HR44... I think i have a better chance of hitting the powerball mutiple times than this happening but, one can dream right?

Majority of HR34's going through supply chain right now seem to be refurbished so once 44 is in full deployment then your chances will actually be much much higher to get a 44 over 34 than you winning the power ball.

#252 OFFLINE   DesertWind53

DesertWind53

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

OK so I'm in Phoenix, a test market.  I currently have an HR24 & pair of H24's in the MBR & den.  I'd love to upgrade to the HR44 and a pair of the clients.  I'm already SWM so I'm good to go there.  I do not have any sort of whole home setup.  If I upgrade, do the little client boxes communicate with the HR44 via the existing coax, or is there some sort of additional network gear to install?  I have a wired connection to the DVR location so I'm solid there.  I'd love to be able to just order the boxes, plug them in, and be done, without need for a truck roll.  Is it that simple?  Am I likely to receive an HR44 if I order over the phone, given that I'm in a test market?

#253 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Most likely a tech would be sent out and if I were you I would keep the HR24 and take one client.

#254 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Is it that simple?  Am I likely to receive an HR44 if I order over the phone, given that I'm in a test market?

yep, that simple, at least in your case.

I would think, giving DirecTV track record, you would have a better chance of getting a 44 if a tech delivers instead of being drop shipped

Edited by peds48, 05 May 2013 - 09:02 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#255 OFFLINE   alanjs123

alanjs123

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

New HR44 - 500 in Mason City (Northern IA) yesterday!!

FYI - So far system running great, but not a big fan of the new remote (RC71).

Edited by alanjs123, 05 May 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#256 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I doubt they'll have enough stock to offer them to you. You can always try but the odds aren't good.

Realize that if you did get one it will be a lease and not owned.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I was thinking that it was a long shot.

#257 OFFLINE   DesertWind53

DesertWind53

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

yep, that simple, at least in your case.

I would think, giving DirecTV track record, you would have a better chance of getting a 44 if a tech delivers instead of being drop shipped

Made the call today, they are upgrading me at no charge for anything - and no truck roll, they are shipping a Genie + 2 clients to me.  I'm a little scared that an HR34 may show up.  If so I'm going to try to return it for a 44, by telling them that the speed increase was the whole reason I'm upgrading (which is largely true).  I'll report back on what shows up and how it all goes.

#258 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:52 AM

Made the call today, they are upgrading me at no charge for anything - and no truck roll, they are shipping a Genie + 2 clients to me.  I'm a little scared that an HR34 may show up.  If so I'm going to try to return it for a 44, by telling them that the speed increase was the whole reason I'm upgrading (which is largely true).  I'll report back on what shows up and how it all goes.

Good luck with that as Directv considers the HR34 and 44 equal... Your most likely gonna be SOL if a 34 shows up. I'll be really shocked if Directv exchanges it for a 44.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#259 OFFLINE   DesertWind53

DesertWind53

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Good luck with that as Directv considers the HR34 and 44 equal... Your most likely gonna be SOL if a 34 shows up. I'll be really shocked if Directv exchanges it for a 44.

I've pre-refused the FedEx delivery, and called D* and reordered a live install, which is taking place tomorrow.  I got suprisingly little grief from the CSR who had to cancel the original order and re-enter everything, other than telling me that there's "no guarantee" that I'd get an HR44 via a live install.  I told him I understood that but had reliable info that the local installers are all carrying 44's now, so I'll take my chances.  I'll update tomorrow with how it all goes.

#260 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

I've pre-refused the FedEx delivery, and called D* and reordered a live install, which is taking place tomorrow.  I got suprisingly little grief from the CSR who had to cancel the original order and re-enter everything, other than telling me that there's "no guarantee" that I'd get an HR44 via a live install.  I told him I understood that but had reliable info that the local installers are all carrying 44's now, so I'll take my chances.  I'll update tomorrow with how it all goes.

I would be very interested to see what happends.... last i heard of here they where only in the test markets.. Do you live in the test markets? if your not and get a 44 on your install that gives me hope for other family members getting the 44..

I always thought it be neat for companies like Directv to take the stratigy like Apple does with the iphone.. come out with a new product (iphone 4 for example) push it really hard and get people to invest all there money and use up all there upgrade credits to get it then, 3 weeks later release a second product with some feature that everyone feels they can't live without (iphone 4 s) they could call it the "sucker" model and force people to shell out more money for something newer.... that's just me thinking though... i never could understand why some make a big deal to have the latest and greatest models of something... to me when something breaks, i'll replace it with something that works...

Edited by Old_School, 07 May 2013 - 05:04 PM.

Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...