Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Looks like next phase of rollouts will start soon as early as next week the rest of CA, and some other Southeast markets will get the 44.

Which CA markets were they offering this in?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Which CA markets were they offering this in?

He said "the rest of CA..." Sounds like all markets in CA.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#283 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I meant which were the first CA markets before?

#284 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Any word on when both a HR34 & HR44 can be activated on the same account?

#285 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Nothing has been said as to if this will even be an option much less when.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#286 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

He also did that when asked when two Genies would be supported.   ;)

I guess I was going on this comment which was a comment on a seemingly non-existant comment.  Pretty thin...

#287 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Live in the Phoenix area and got my HR44 and C41 clients installed a couple days ago.  Have been playing around with them and so far very pleased with the HR44, not yet convinced on the C41 clients. 

HR44 is essentially silent which was very important to me.  Up close you can hear the gentle "whir" of the hard drive spinning, at a distance of 5 feet or more though I hear nothing.  No fans inside the box spinning, no hard drive thrashing, etc.  Box is warm but not hot.  Performance is very snappy navigating the guide and menu options.  I have it setup to use both the RC71 remote in RF mode and the old/familiar RC65 in IR mode.    I ran into an odd issue where the 44 was only responding to button pushes on either remote  about once out of every 5 presses and was very laggy.   I have a "Next Generation" remote control extender in the same room for a different device, unplugged it and all problems went away.  Not sure how/why that was interfering, especially in IR mode.

I like the small size of the C41 compared to the H25's they replaced but performance is far less than that of the HR44.  I expected that since it's getting everything from the main box but program guide and menu scrolling takes about 1 second for each button press.  I can live with it since I don't watch a lot of TV where those two are setup, but if you want to scroll quickly though pages on the guide it can be frustrating.  Have tried several resets but so far no change.  Haven't done any searches on that yet so maybe there's an easy fix.  Otherwise it's great being able to pause live TV from the clients which I've used several times already.

With your hr44/C41 setup, does the c41 let you access dual live tuners, like you can with an HR using the down button? When you first turn it on, is the 90 minute buffer there? I like to wake up to a news channel, and then quickly rewind 20 or 30 minutes so I can get caught up on the news while skipping commercials. Lastly, is there much lag when you use trick play commands, like ff or 30 sec skips on the C41?

#288 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,003 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

No word, but my personal guess is in the Fall......

but note I haven't said in what year.... but I am hoping for this one!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#289 OFFLINE   benf

benf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

With your hr44/C41 setup, does the c41 let you access dual live tuners, like you can with an HR using the down button? When you first turn it on, is the 90 minute buffer there? I like to wake up to a news channel, and then quickly rewind 20 or 30 minutes so I can get caught up on the news while skipping commercials. Lastly, is there much lag when you use trick play commands, like ff or 30 sec skips on the C41?

Yes on the dual live tuners.  Hitting down twice activates it and I can switch back and forth between the two with down arrow and buffer is retained for both.  Performance doing this is pretty good.  Not as good as being at the HR device but not bad at all.

As for the 90 minute buffer at power on, that doesn't appear to be there, or at least is hit and miss.   After powering off client I waited about 15 minutes and powered back on and the 15 minute buffer was still there.  However, I tried it again, this time going to the HR and switching channels, then came back to the client and the buffer was gone at power on.  Even more odd, if the buffer is active, and this appears to be the case on the HR as well, if a new show starts the buffer resets itself to the start of that show.  For example if a football game ends at 5pm and news comes on at 5pm, if it was left on that channel at 4:30 and I come back to it at 4:59 the 29 minute buffer is there.  But if I power on at 5:05pm there's only a 5 minute buffer.  (I hope that all makes sense.)    And even more interesting, if my wife is watching channel 100 and has been for an hour, and I've been watching channel 50 for 1/2 hour, if I flip over to channel 100 the entire buffer from my wife's "session" is all there.   Maybe this is typical behavior, I'm a DVR noob, but thought that was kind of cool.

There's about a 5 second delay from the point of hitting >> for the 30 second slip to finish and return to normal viewing.  I haven't tried skip instead of slip, guessing that would be a little faster.  Slip at the HR unit is 1-2 seconds.

Other findings... Messing around with pausing live, FF, rewinding, etc at the client seems to have made it lock up a couple times.  Only way to get out of it was to switch channels.  I read where that happened/happens with C31 clients, not sure if that's a known issue with C41's now as well.  Seems to happen at the point the buffer catches up to live TV using FF.

Also, I'm not even sure about the 90 minute buffer at power on for the HR44 itself.  When I first started testing and powered it on there was no buffer, but about an hour later when I powered on there was 1 hour of buffer.  It's possible the HR had gone into "sleep" mode after 4 hours, something I'm going to turn off, but I was also messing around with the client box in between so not sure if doing that nuked the buffer on the HR.  Anyway, some kind of odd stuff but again I'm a noob and this may be something that just happens.

#290 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Benf, thanks for the detailed answers! The only real bummer is the 30 second response to the >> command. Try it with 30 skip. You can activate it by searching "30SKIP" and selecting it as a keyword search. Also, I wondered why you ever powered on either device? Why not just leave everything "on" all the time? I don't think turning them off offers any real advantages. Thanks again!

#291 OFFLINE   benf

benf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Benf, thanks for the detailed answers! The only real bummer is the 30 second response to the >> command. Try it with 30 skip. You can activate it by searching "30SKIP" and selecting it as a keyword search. Also, I wondered why you ever powered on either device? Why not just leave everything "on" all the time? I don't think turning them off offers any real advantages. Thanks again!

The 30 skip is much faster on the C41 than the 30 slip, 1-2 seconds from button push to the actual skip and control returned to TV.   I did leave both client boxes powered on last night and indeed the 90 minute buffer is there and intact on both. 

Force of habit I suppose on the powering off... I just hit the master power off button on the remote and don't even think about it since I've not had DVR before.  To leave it powered on I'd have to remember to hit the PWR button on the RC65 remote to turn back on the DVR device (so TV doesn't power back on as well), or use the TV dedicated remote to only turn off TV. 

#292 OFFLINE   cgking114

cgking114

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Looks like next phase of rollouts will start soon as early as next week the rest of CA, and some other Southeast markets will get the 44.

Any ideas on whice Southeast markets will get them. I am in the Charleston,SC market.

#293 OFFLINE   Traveler62

Traveler62

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

I am in Kansas City and not a test market. I called the main number and asked about an upgrade. They looked up something on the database and said I would be getting the HR44. I stated at least two more times that I am wanting the HR44. They are sending me the equipment since my setup is already approved to just swap the equipment. They did state that it could be returned as long as it is not activated. I would think anyone that is already on at least a SWM 8 could do this too.

#294 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

I am in Kansas City and not a test market. I called the main number and asked about an upgrade. They looked up something on the database and said I would be getting the HR44. I stated at least two more times that I am wanting the HR44. They are sending me the equipment since my setup is already approved to just swap the equipment. They did state that it could be returned as long as it is not activated. I would think anyone that is already on at least a SWM 8 could do this too.

Chances are better when techs deliver the equipment.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#295 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I can promise 100% that you will not get a 44 if a tech comes out from KC. If they ship it I cannot say for sure but I would say if you are only wanting a 44 I would call and cancel your order and wait a couple of weeks. 

#296 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Chances are better when techs deliver the equipment.  

Usually but in the case of Kansas City DMA his chance of a tech having a 44 is 0%. lol

• barrywisler likes this

#297 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,392 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Usually but in the case of Kansas City DMA his chance of a tech having a 44 is 0%. lol

Right, I was referring to chances if the HR44 WAS available.  if DirecTV were to send it, it will probably be a refurb 34, where a tech will have a shinny new 44

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#298 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

Still no HR44's in San Diego.  I had to reschedule for next week.  The Directv rep said that all HR44's are being held back until all the install techs can be trained on them.  She said that should be 1-3 weeks.

DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#299 OFFLINE   RealStuart

RealStuart

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Having my HR44 installed right now in Saline, Michigan

After the install, will have:

• HR44
  • HR24
  • H24
  • D12

Also having them upgrade me to the SWiM 16 as well.  Given that we had a DECA from our past install we can apparently use that for our network connection and don't need to make use of the WiFi which is what I prefer.

Edited by RealStuart, 13 May 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#300 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Having my HR44 installed right now in Saline, Michigan

After the install, will have:

• HR44
  • HR24
  • H24
  • D12

Also having them upgrade me to the SWiM 16 as well.  Given that we had a DECA from our past install we can apparently use that for our network connection and don't need to make use of the WiFi which is what I prefer.

Looks good - maybe they're are expanding to non-beta areas?  You're outside the beta markets right?

Edited by Mike Greer, 13 May 2013 - 02:23 PM.

spam firewall