Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#351 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm not sure how it works in other parts of the country but they always call before they come to give me a heads up.  Usually 30 minutes before.  Even if they don't, you still can ask them if they have an hr44  while they are in your driveway.  My installer today told me that they are integrating the dtv, dtv dispatch office, warehouse, installers at least here in san diego.  That way everybody will know exactly what equipment is installed when ordered.  The proof is in the pudding I guess. We'll see.

DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#352 OFFLINE   memory-minus

memory-minus

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've been away from DirecTV for a while, but thinking of signing back up. I'm in Durham, NC (our local channels are from Raleigh) so I'm wondering if I have the install done this coming Saturday -- will I get an HR44? Since the Raleigh market is a test area I suspect it's likely.

#353 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,007 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

No one but the installer knows for sure, but I'd think you'd increase your chances if you're quite clear that you want/need (!) one.

Best of luck. 

ps Was devastated when the Heels went down in the lacrosse playoffs.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#354 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

In the Tri-Cities TN area.  Got my Protection Plan free upgrade yesterday, and got a HR44-500 and two C41-700 Genie Client units.  Kept one of my HR23-700's and both the HR44 and HR23 playlists can be pulled up from any of our 4 TV's.  Seven total tuners for recording.  I'm in Heaven!

#355 OFFLINE   memory-minus

memory-minus

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I've been away from DirecTV for a while, but thinking of signing back up. I'm in Durham, NC (our local channels are from Raleigh) so I'm wondering if I have the install done this coming Saturday -- will I get an HR44? Since the Raleigh market is a test area I suspect it's likely.

Called a moment ago and asked a note to be placed on the order requesting an HR44 -- after a brief hold the rep came back and said that I am already slated to receive an HR44. So here's hoping that's what actually happens!

#356 OFFLINE   DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Does the Chicago area have the HR-44 yet?

#357 OFFLINE   ScurvyDog

ScurvyDog

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Anyone know if the Seattle area is receiving the HR-44 yet?

Called DTV after four transfers some of which were hilarious when the rep had no idea what models direct tv actual sold and I had to explain the difference between an HR-34 and HR-44. Priceless

#358 OFFLINE   AMGPilot

AMGPilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have an upgrade scheduled for today to receive a genie to replace one of my HR20 HD DVRs. I live just outside of Dallas Texas, Rowlett to be exact :)

The tech from Mastec just called to say he was on his way. I asked him if he had the "new genie" HR44 on his truck and he replied that he did not. I asked him if it was possible to get one and he said he would call the warehouse to see if he could get one.

He just called me back and said he could get one but it would delay him about an hour. I said that would not be a problem :righton:

So hopefully he will show up with one in about an hour from now. I will keep you guys posted.

My system, after the upgrade, will consist of 3 HD DVRs (two HR20-700s, one HR23-700) and an HR44 Genie. That is a total of 11 tuners so he is also bringing a SWM16 with him ;)

My system as it stands right this moment consists of three HR20-700s and one HR23-700. I have a slimline dish with a SWM LNB, which will also have to be replaced during the upgrade.

I am so excited to finally get the HR44. I just hope he can really get one!! LOL!!

Will check back in later :)

• whorne likes this
Vette Pilot

#359 OFFLINE   Slackjaw747

Slackjaw747

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRenton WA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Called DTV after four transfers some of which were hilarious when the rep had no idea what models direct tv actual sold and I had to explain the difference between an HR-34 and HR-44. Priceless

I don't know, but I'm waiting to jump ship on Comcast and won't be until the HR44 is available. Watching this thread closely!

#360 OFFLINE   AMGPilot

AMGPilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I have an upgrade scheduled for today to receive a genie to replace one of my HR20 HD DVRs. I live just outside of Dallas Texas, Rowlett to be exact :)

The tech from Mastec just called to say he was on his way. I asked him if he had the "new genie" HR44 on his truck and he replied that he did not. I asked him if it was possible to get one and he said he would call the warehouse to see if he could get one.

He just called me back and said he could get one but it would delay him about an hour. I said that would not be a problem :righton:

So hopefully he will show up with one in about an hour from now. I will keep you guys posted.

My system, after the upgrade, will consist of 3 HD DVRs (two HR20-700s, one HR23-700) and an HR44 Genie. That is a total of 11 tuners so he is also bringing a SWM16 with him ;)

My system as it stands right this moment consists of three HR20-700s and one HR23-700. I have a slimline dish with a SWM LNB, which will also have to be replaced during the upgrade.

I am so excited to finally get the HR44. I just hope he can really get one!! LOL!!

Will check back in later :)

Great news!!! The installer just left and I now have an HR44-500 installed!! :righton:

So they ARE available in the Dallas area now :)

Vette Pilot

#361 OFFLINE   AMGPilot

AMGPilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Has anyone seen the HR44 in the Dallas/Fort Worth Tx area yet?

Yes they are here!! See my posts above :)

Vette Pilot

#362 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

As far as a CSR is concerned there is a Genie. It does not matter if it is an HR34 or an HR44, they are considered the same. That is also true of "HD DVR", it could be an HR20, HR21, HR22, etc. They are all considered equivalent.

#363 OFFLINE   h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

HR44 + 1 client installed today in Boise, ID, replaced my HR21 for free (protection plan upgrade). Pretty cool stuff.

Edits: HR44-500, C41-700 with IR remotes because that's what was on the truck. I'll take it! C41 did firmware upgrade while installer was still there, HR44 did a few hours later and I had to re-set-up the networking. Installer told me not to plug in my ethernet cable that I had on the HR21...I may just try that anyway at some point but it's all working fine for now. Can even get to my mythv box's recordings from the C41 - technically I have had client-server TV architecture since 2006 with mythtv but never could be bothered to run a cable upstairs and it didn't always work so well over wifi.

Edited by h_a_h_3, 24 May 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#364 OFFLINE   Mick

Mick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Can people who are NOT in a test market but still get a HR44 post here?  I'd like to see how many areas are now rolling these out.  I'm in metro Detroit and have been waiting patiently to upgrade until I know I can get the HR44.

#365 OFFLINE   rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Looking to signup for a hr44 in Austin, tx. Dallas is encouraging, anyone from Austin area get one yet?
  • lawr1000 likes this

#366 OFFLINE   lawr1000

lawr1000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Looking to signup for a hr44 in Austin, TX. Dallas is encouraging, anyone from Austin area get one yet?

Got my HR44 in Austin last weekend. He said I was one of the first in the area and techs were in the process of training.

The HR44 is really fast! When I switched the new remote to RF mode the guide scrolls unbelievably fast. Almost too fast!

Edited by lawr1000, 24 May 2013 - 08:05 AM.

HR44-500
SWM8

#367 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Have there been any HR44s installed in northern Kentucky or Cincinnati?

#368 OFFLINE   frpintheatl

frpintheatl

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Are any HR44's showing up in the Atlanta market?

#369 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX, USA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Got my HR44 in Austin last weekend. He said I was one of the first in the area and techs were in the process of training.

The HR44 is really fast! When I switched the new remote to RF mode the guide scrolls unbelievably fast. Almost too fast!

Cool...looking to pull the trigger soon.  I already had this discussion last year but wanted to wait for the next gen version...always hate the "version 1.0" of something new :)  With the 44 coming online here, I will probably make this a summer project!

Thanks for the update!

Edited by TAnsley, 24 May 2013 - 01:15 PM.

TAnsley

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#370 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

I was told to call in on Tuesday, D will have them in stock and ready to ship. We'll see....

#371 OFFLINE   prefabsprouter

prefabsprouter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

I currently have 2 interconnected HR24s using WholeHome and I'm seriously considering upgrading to the HR44.   Question to those of you who now have the new HR44 + C41 : will the HR44 play nice with one of my HR24s or should I get the C41 instead as the second device?   If I keep the HR24 (in addition to the new HR44) does that mean I'll have a total of 7 tuners?    Will the HR24 record on the HR44 (as would the C41) or will it still record independently? I like the idea of 7 tuners, but I would also like having all the recorded TV shows consolidated in one unit, not two.  

Also, for those of you using the C41 + HR 44, is the C41 responsive?    Now, when I watch something from an HR24 that's recorded on the other HR24, the unit I'm watching on is not as responsive when I ff, etc, and I don't want to get the C41 if it's even less responsive than my current setup.    

In short do you recommend HR44 + HR24, or HR44 + C41?

Thank you in advance!

• lawr1000 likes this

#372 OFFLINE   lawr1000

lawr1000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

I currently have 2 interconnected HR24s using WholeHome and I'm seriously considering upgrading to the HR44. Question to those of you who now have the new HR44 + C41 : will the HR44 play nice with one of my HR24s or should I get the C41 instead as the second device? If I keep the HR24 (in addition to the new HR44) does that mean I'll have a total of 7 tuners? Will the HR24 record on the HR44 (as would the C41) or will it still record independently? I like the idea of 7 tuners, but I would also like having all the recorded TV shows consolidated in one unit, not two.

Also, for those of you using the C41 + HR 44, is the C41 responsive? Now, when I watch something from an HR24 that's recorded on the other HR24, the unit I'm watching on is not as responsive when I ff, etc, and I don't want to get the C41 if it's even less responsive than my current setup.

In short do you recommend HR44 + HR24, or HR44 + C41?

Thank you in advance!

A HR44 and HR24 will work just like your two HR24s work now, except you will have 7 tuners instead of 4. The C41 client is served by the HR44 as if it is another display (think VPN client). When you setup a new series to record on the C41 you are actually recording on the HR44. Thus the centralized recording you like. The disadvantage this way is fewer tuners total and if the HR44 dies all recordings are lost and the C41 clients stop working. If you had an HR44 and HR24 only the recordings on the HR44 would be lost and the HR24 would continue work.
There is lag on the C41 but since I don't have one I can't say how bad it is. But I can give you my experience on my setup (HR44 + HR23). The HR44 is really fast and trick play on the HR23 when playing a recorded show from HR44 has some lag but I'm not having any trouble with it.
I like the idea of having multiple DVRs for some failure redundancy and the only disadvantage is having to manage multiple record queues.
The real treat is the UI on the HR44. For the first time I don't have to wait for button presses to take effect. If I press and hold the channel down button when in the guide mode it scrolls too fast (RF mode on the remote)! Its like the UI has just come out of beta testing and we finally see they meant to do!
  • prefabsprouter likes this

HR44-500
SWM8

#373 OFFLINE   rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

Cool did you do anything special to get one like request it on order or do the reschedule trick?

I have 5 tvs I. The house, one in kids room, anyone have recommendations on I initial setup?

I have tw cable with a tivo premiere I. The family room, tivohd in master, tivo2 in kids mode in the kids(8yo) room, cable box I in rec room, and just analog cable in guest room. I'm so tired of tw cable not letting tivo watch non network shows in other rooms!

#374 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

... I'm so tired of tw cable not letting tivo watch non network shows in other rooms!

I'm not sure what you mean by this? I just tested the TiVo Premiere 4 with 2 tivo mini clients on time warner cable and had no issues receiving all channels that I paid for, even some that I wasn't supposed to get. It works almost the same as the Genie with C31/41 mini clients, using MoCA instead of DECA. Just make sure you have a valid cablecard and most likely a tuning adapter and you should be all set. I highly doubt it's "tw not letting TiVo watch non network shows in other rooms!"

Edited by harperhometheater, 25 May 2013 - 12:49 PM.

HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#375 OFFLINE   lawr1000

lawr1000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Cool did you do anything special to get one like request it on order or do the reschedule trick? 

No just talked with tech about it. He had them on his truck. Initially he gave me a HR34 but after we talked a bit he realized I was interested in the HR44 and he asked if I wanted one.

• rvanderwerf likes this

HR44-500
SWM8

Protected By... spam firewall...And...