Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#376 OFFLINE   rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I don't have the premiere 4, I have the original premiere and a tivo hd. Time Warner sets the copyright flags on all non major network shows so I cannot transfer then between tivos to watch. I don't think I am up for buying a new tivo setup at this point, if its included on dtv and service is cheaper there. Not gonna lie my wife will miss the ease of use on the tivo though.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? I just tested the TiVo Premiere 4 with 2 tivo mini clients on time warner cable and had no issues receiving all channels that I paid for, even some that I wasn't supposed to get. It works almost the same as the Genie with C31/41 mini clients, using MoCA instead of DECA. Just make sure you have a valid cablecard and most likely a tuning adapter and you should be all set. I highly doubt it's "tw not letting TiVo watch non network shows in other rooms!"

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#377 OFFLINE   jstrossner

jstrossner

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

I had my 3 hr24 system updated to a genie yesterday, replacing one of the 24s.  After the tech checked out the system, I asked if he had a 44 by chance.  He said that all he had were 44s.  I was pleasantly surprised!  He updated the lnb and installed a 16 port swm.  We seem to get everything last here in Arkansas--maybe not this time.

Jeff

#378 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yesterday at Costco I was told a couple of things by the "D"/Costco Rep I was unaware of. Perhaps someone here can confirm.  The HR44 is USB compatible with a USB external hard drive hook up and not relegated to ESATA only. The HR44 will allow the external hard drive to work in conjunction with the HR44's internal hard drive making both usable at the same time (as opposed to using only one or the other).  If you only have the HR44 installed and no clients there will be a $99 install fee even for new customers.  Are all or any of these things true?

#379 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,898 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

USB for hard drive debunked, not true.  Dual hard drive function, busted!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#380 OFFLINE   Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 986 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yesterday at Costco I was told a couple of things by the "D"/Costco Rep I was unaware of. Perhaps someone here can confirm.  The HR44 is USB compatible with a USB external hard drive hook up and not relegated to ESATA only. The HR44 will allow the external hard drive to work in conjunction with the HR44's internal hard drive making both usable at the same time (as opposed to using only one or the other).  If you only have the HR44 installed and no clients there will be a $99 install fee even for new customers.  Are all or any of these things true?

Hard drive is not true, it functions just like any other HD-DVR (eSATA only, and it takes over your internal drive).

If you only have a Genie with no clients installed there should be a $99 fee for it, but even on DirecTV's website it's not trying to enforce that right now (I logged out, tried to set up a new account and got through to where it was asking for my info...Genie + no clients/no additional receivers it does show $0).

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#381 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Genies do have one difference, they accept more space on esata than hr2x

#382 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

That's certainly disappointing.  I guess it made sense to me that "D" would have seen the light but apparently not yet.  I don't care about the fee but everything else is a road block.

#383 OFFLINE   rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

W00t sounds like its time to head to costco and place my dtv order!
When they call if they don't have hr44
I will to the reschedule trick until they do.

No just talked with tech about it. He had them on his truck. Initially he gave me a HR34 but after we talked a bit he realized I was interested in the HR44 and he asked if I wanted one.

#384 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

That's certainly disappointing.  I guess it made sense to me that "D" would have seen the light but apparently not yet.  I don't care about the fee but everything else is a road block.

How big a road block? Do you just need more recording time, or are there other factors? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#385 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

How big a road block? Do you just need more recording time, or are there other factors? 

I have the 722 now which has a 500GB hard drive and three tuners (one being a OTA only which I use everyday). I also has a 1.5TB WD hard drive giving me 2TB of anytime usable space.  I like to record entire seasons of certain TV shows like Merlin, Dr. Who, Revolution, Client List, Grey's Anatomy, The Good Wife, Touched, The following, plus a few others, and watch the entire season back to back on a wekend during the summer.  I also have every Star Trek movies recorded in HD as well as specific concerts and Nature shows like Planet Earth etc. These are all stored on my EHD to be watched at my leisure.  My 1.5TB EHD has 460GB available at this time.  I could live without it but it does provide a nice stash for my video library.  When "D" designed the new Genie HR34/44 they should have simply designed the EHD piggy back feature into it. "E" has it so it couldn't have been too difficult.  I have to wonder how some decesions are reached at both "D" and "E". For instance why did "E" only design in 3 tuners for the tne Hopper?  How hard would it have been to match "D"'s 5 tuners.  Why does one company use eSATA and the other uses USB?  Just to screw with the customer? I think so.

#386 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Doubt it! 

I suspect there are factors that inhibit either company to do what we want in all instances. Mileage varies: Except for a dozen or two of excellent movies I'll re-watch someday, I do little archiving. Oh, wait, I have all the Aerial America series.... I'd love the ability to slap an external HD and have it both additive as well as swappable. Sounds like you need it! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#387 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

No, yet more misinformation. The people selling DirecTv at Costco don't work for DirecTV OR Costco, they are from an independent dealer.  No, the HR44 won't accept a USB drive. No, the HR44 won't use both the internal and external drives at the same time. No, you don't necessarily get a $99 install fee. For many people, it has been zero.

#388 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

No, yet more misinformation. The people selling DirecTv at Costco don't work for DirecTV OR Costco, they are from an independent dealer.  No, the HR44 won't accept a USB drive. No, the HR44 won't use both the internal and external drives at the same time. No, you don't necessarily get a $99 install fee. For many people, it has been zero.

Thank you for the info.  I see that you joined here on my birthday (not 2006) so you must be a good guy.  Because I spend so much time on this and other forums I was pretty sure that this guy was wrong but I had to check just in case. 

#389 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I have the 722 now which has a 500GB hard drive and three tuners (one being a OTA only which I use everyday). I also has a 1.5TB WD hard drive giving me 2TB of anytime usable space.  I like to record entire seasons of certain TV shows like Merlin, Dr. Who, Revolution, Client List, Grey's Anatomy, The Good Wife, Touched, The following, plus a few others, and watch the entire season back to back on a wekend during the summer.  I also have every Star Trek movies recorded in HD as well as specific concerts and Nature shows like Planet Earth etc. These are all stored on my EHD to be watched at my leisure.  My 1.5TB EHD has 460GB available at this time.  I could live without it but it does provide a nice stash for my video library.  When "D" designed the new Genie HR34/44 they should have simply designed the EHD piggy back feature into it. "E" has it so it couldn't have been too difficult.  I have to wonder how some decesions are reached at both "D" and "E". For instance why did "E" only design in 3 tuners for the tne Hopper?  How hard would it have been to match "D"'s 5 tuners.  Why does one company use eSATA and the other uses USB?  Just to screw with the customer? I think so.

You can put as large of a esata drive or array as you want on the Genie, even if its 9TB. However, if the Genie goes bad and needs replaced, currently you lose your recordings.

#390 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

So, "IF" I could keep my HR-20-700 (deactivated), could I still watch the recorded shows?

bob

#391 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,520 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

So, "IF" I could keep my HR-20-700 (deactivated), could I still watch the recorded shows?

bob

If you disconnect it from the satellite feed before you deactivate it, yes at least for some period of time. If it is connected at the time of deactivation then not at all.  If you have a lot of recordings that are important, keep it active for a month or two while you watch them. Also, if your HR20 is leased, it will have to be returned to DirecTV upon deactivation (or you will be charged a non-return fee).

#392 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,898 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

the HR20s are on DirecTV's "do not recover" list.  but if a tech is doing the upgrade, he MUST take the receiver.  This is one of those DirecTV policies that does not make sense 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#393 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

the HR20s are on DirecTV's "do not recover" list.  but if a tech is doing the upgrade, he MUST take the receiver.  This is one of those DirecTV policies that does not make sense

Might as well let him take it off your hands since you can't sell it, and reactivate at all.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#394 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

Might as well let him take it off your hands since you can't sell it, and reactivate at all.

Could I keep it active and pay the $5/mo until I was caught up?

No way to transfer recordings, I suppose?

bob

#395 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Could I keep it active and pay the $5/mo until I was caught up?

No way to transfer recordings, I suppose?

bob

Yes you can, BTW is $6/month
But once you deactivate and since the HR20 is on Directv's non recover list, it will become useless after that which is why I made the comment before, if the tech comes and install your upgrade he might deactivate from your request and take it with.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#396 OFFLINE   cgking114

cgking114

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

Is there anyone in the Charleston, SC area that knows if they are installing HR34's or HR44's here?

#397 OFFLINE   hdwannabee

hdwannabee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Also interested to know if anyone has received HR44's in the Houston/Katy area yet.  Waiting for the 44's to pull the free updrade (hopefully) trigger.

#398 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yes you can, BTW is $6/month
But once you deactivate and since the HR20 is on Directv's non recover list, it will become useless after that which is why I made the comment before, if the tech comes and install your upgrade he might deactivate from your request and take it with.

So, it's a No to transferring recordings?  How bout taking out the drive before they confiscate it?  :)

bob

• barrywisler likes this

#399 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

So, it's a No to transferring recordings?  How bout taking out the drive before they confiscate it?  :)

That won't work. The drive is logically tied to the DVR that it was in.  It won't play on any other DVR.

You can try a combination of the two methodologies that were previously mentioned.  You can tell DirecTV that you want to keep the HR-20 on your account.  That way, the installe won't take it.  Later, you can tell DirecTV that you want to drop the HR-20.  At that time, they will tell you that you don't need to send it back because it is non-recoverable.  You would then have some time to watch the shows that were previously recorded on it (provided you don't lose power).

#400 OFFLINE   gary245

gary245

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Tx

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I have a similar plan...

I have an install scheduled for Sunday, I've asked to keep the old & new receivers for a month to start building up new recordings on the genie, while watching the recordings on the old unit. 

It's only an extra $6 for another month to retain the older unit...

They were a little unhappy about my trying to keep an HR10-250 (in addition to my (2) HR-20s...).

Edited by gary245, 28 May 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...