Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Are people encountering less resistance to getting the upgrades or do we still need to play the retention games?

Any program credits too?

I'm interested in the HR44 but I could save a lot of money in subscription fees by switching to Comcast.  I'd probably have to make an WMC DVR to do it so there will be upfront costs but that computer will be mine to keep and will be able to use for a long time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Waiting for the HR44 in the Baltimore area.  Any news on this.

#423 OFFLINE   linflas

linflas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationManassas, VA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

Are people encountering less resistance to getting the upgrades or do we still need to play the retention games?

Any program credits too?

I'm interested in the HR44 but I could save a lot of money in subscription fees by switching to Comcast.  I'd probably have to make an WMC DVR to do it so there will be upfront costs but that computer will be mine to keep and will be able to use for a long time.

In my case all I did was call, explain that I was interested in the Genie and after verifying my account info she told me that there was an offer on my account and it would be just a $49.00 install fee.  That includes a cinema connection kit and she did tell me there were programming offers on my account as well that all involved turning on things like HBO, Showtime etc that I was not really interested in. 

#424 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

In my case all I did was call, explain that I was interested in the Genie and after verifying my account info she told me that there was an offer on my account and it would be just a $49.00 install fee.  That includes a cinema connection kit and she did tell me there were programming offers on my account as well that all involved turning on things like HBO, Showtime etc that I was not really interested in. 

Depending on where your Genie is installed, you may not need a CCK, but might as well get one anyway in case you move things around. (The Genie has built in internet connectio.)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#425 OFFLINE   prefabsprouter

prefabsprouter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:24 AM

I live in San Francisco and I had scheduled for a technician to install the HR44 this morning.    I clearly told the dispatcher a couple of days earlier that I wanted the HR44, but when the technician called me 30 minutes before his arrival, I asked him, to make sure, that he was bringing the HR 44.    To my surprise he said he was planning on installing the HR34 at my place.  Needless to say I cancelled the appointment.  He said there are no HR44 being installed in SF at this time BUT they will be receiving them in about two weeks.    Can't wait until then!    Almost there, folks!

#426 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

The HR44 is definitely here in the Detroit area. I have had two Multiband installers at my house over the last week and both had HR44's on their trucks. One of the guys told me that was all he had on his truck now.

#427 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

Waiting for the HR44 in the Baltimore area.  Any news on this.

I have an appointment for my Genie on the 8th. I'll let you know what I get.

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#428 OFFLINE   kosh56

kosh56

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Just got an HR44 installed in the Chicagoland area. The installer said they aren't installing anymore HR34s.

#429 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

My HR44-500 from SolidSignal showed up today and I swapped out an HR21-700 for it. I know everyone said the 44 was fast, but I was not prepared for just how fast it was! Not just in operation, but boot time, firmware download and speed in populating the guide. I am very pleased so far! I hooked up a 2TB WD EURS drive by eSATA and it's working fine.

Steve

My Setup

#430 OFFLINE   Speedracer007

Speedracer007

• Registered
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Alabama

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

First post -- looking for help.

So I currently have 3 TVs, no DVRs yet (Boxes are H20, H21 & H21).  (Will be glad to get rid of the H20.)

Decided I wanted to join the DVR community so I called D* and was told I could get the GENIE for no charge, may be a HR34 or HR44.  So of course after doing a little reading up I want the HR44.  Has anyone gotten one installed in the Huntsville AL area?

I have a question on the clients.  The CSR said I could keep the 2 H21s or swap them out for clients (C31s or c41s) and the system would operate the same.  Is that true?  What are the pluses/minuses?

#431 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Technically not the same. The H21s would have access to the genie playlist, but not have live TV trickplay (pause/rewind) or access to the Genies history, todo list etc.

#432 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Minuses of clients is that watching live TV uses a tuner from the genie, and if you ever do have a genie hardware issue, the clients cannot operate at all without the genie.

#433 OFFLINE   linflas

linflas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationManassas, VA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

No HR44 for me in Manassas, VA.  The installer said they were told still 2 to 3 weeks out and offered me the option to cancel the install.  I went ahead with the install of the HR34 as I had already taken the time off.

#434 OFFLINE   Speedracer007

Speedracer007

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Called the local D* installer here in Huntsville Alabama and got connected to the warehouse manager.  She told me that all they had were HR44 Genies.  She also told me that when I call D* to get my upgrade, to have them add a note to the order to have the Tech call 1 day prior to the install.  That way I can ask the Tech to make sure he grabs a HR44 for my install (just in case a couple of HR34s show up in the warehouse). 

Now I just need to call D* and work out my best deal!!!

Anyone get D* to include the Genie Go for free?  Seems like most of that functionality is built into the Dish Hopper so I plan to use that for leverage in my negotiations.

#435 OFFLINE   gdn

gdn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I've been with D* for many years and it's been quite a few since I did any upgrades, my dish has some rust on it (and my receivers have been telling me they haven't received any guide data a lot - may be a separate issue) and I don't have SWM yet, so all of that will get replaced, basically upgrading the whole system.  I'm using MRV today over Ethernet today and know that will move to coax. 

So it boils down to what do I use in my second room along with the Genie when upgrading.   I've seen the question about speed of keeping an HR24 with the HR44 vs the C41, but my DVR's are older - I've got an HR21 and an HR22 - one of them would be replaced with the HR44 and I'd potentially keep the other or replace with C31/C41.   Aside from 7 tuners vs 5 and not worrying about all of my recordings being on a single drive  - which is going to be faster - the HR21/22 or the C41 client, when viewing and playing from the Genie?

The dog slowness of the two current DVR's now is just about the end for me - so the upgrade will be most welcomed.

HR21-100 and HR22-100, Sony SXRD KDS60A2000, Samsung LN40A650, Logitec 880 and almost retired Pronto TSU1000 remote - used still for the CD changer.

#436 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Aside from 7 tuners vs 5 and not worrying about all of my recordings being on a single drive  - which is going to be faster - the HR21/22 or the C41 client, when viewing and playing from the Genie?

A one hour program is still going to take 1 hour to play on a C41 :icon_cool

OK, sorry had to say that. HR44/C41 vs HR21/HR22/HR23, I say you'll be happy with the HR44/C41 performance. Yes, if you hold down the page down button on the remote while in the guide or playlist it might pause for a fraction of a second every now and then but still faster then the DVR's you have now.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#437 OFFLINE   Midnight Rain

Midnight Rain

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hello, I just wanted to let everyone know that yesterday Directv installed the a HR44 in my home. I live in Anderson, South Carolina so if any one lives in this area, they here now.

#438 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Just got an HR44 installed in the Chicagoland area. The installer said they aren't installing anymore HR34s.

I also just got installed a few days ago just north of the Chicago area, I thought they would install HR34's (which i thought i would get) but every tech in this area are installing HR44's unless they exhaust and run out of stock.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#439 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

She also told me that when I call D* to get my upgrade, to have them add a note to the order to have the Tech call 1 day prior to the install.  That way I can ask the Tech to make sure he grabs a HR44 for my install (just in case a couple of HR34s show up in the warehouse). 

Notes on work order are seen by no one until the tech is en route to your home. He could be 5 minutes away when that happens

#440 OFFLINE   Speedracer007

Speedracer007

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Notes on work order are seen by no one until the tech is en route to your home. He could be 5 minutes away when that happens

Well, hoping that what the warehouse manager told me was correct that all they have in the warehouse is HR-44s.  Installation is all set up for Monday morning so we will see how it goes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...