Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

I didn't read all the comments but from what I saw most are incorrect. 41's have ability to connect through wireless bridge to 44's. Not only coax

Incorrect, the C41's connect only via coax. There is a rumor that there might be a wireless client in the future but not now.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Right. I have a C41 and it connects only via coax.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#463 OFFLINE   mark_winn

mark_winn

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

HR44 installed yesterday here in the Detroit area. I have a total of 5 DVRs. The installer also changed out 3 others (HR20,HR21 and. HR22) with new HR24's. This was all done on the PP upgrade. Only issue was the installer had no RC71 remotes. Odd, but one quick call to DTV and one is being overnighted to me. So far very happy. The HR44 is rocket fast !
2 HR24's,1 HR20,2 HR21
2- 46" Samsung LCD,,32" Samsung LCD, 27" Samsung LCD,HDMI Connected to Sammy's
Native On,Slimeline 5LNB, AT&T DSL 6MBPS All HR2X networked enabled Network Enabled, VOD

#464 OFFLINE   c073186

c073186

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

HR44 installed yesterday here in the Detroit area. I have a total of 5 DVRs. The installer also changed out 3 others (HR20,HR21 and. HR22) with new HR24's. This was all done on the PP upgrade. Only issue was the installer had no RC71 remotes. Odd, but one quick call to DTV and one is being overnighted to me. So far very happy. The HR44 is rocket fast !

When you say covered under the PP upgrade, that means you did not have to pay anything (maybe less installation fee)?  I ask because I am in a similar situation and have two HR-21 and want to add an HR-44 (when available).  I've called a few times to DirecTV and they seem to want to give me a Genie and two clients, as opposed to a Genie and two new standalone DVR's.  I'd much rather have the HR-2x's upgraded so I can have 9 tuners in the end... but it didn't sound like they could do that for me.  I am also on the protection plan, what do I need to say in order to get an upgrade like yours?

For some reason I felt like DirecTV was telling me they couldn't specifically upgrade an HR-21 to HR-24, but isn't the capacity of those different?  I would think that if the capacity of the 24 is more than the 21, that is a justifiable reason to want a specific model.

Edited by c073186, 11 June 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#465 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

When you say covered under the PP upgrade, that means you did not have to pay anything (maybe less installation fee)?  I ask because I am in a similar situation and have two HR-21 and want to add an HR-44 (when available).  I've called a few times to DirecTV and they seem to want to give me a Genie and two clients, as opposed to a Genie and two new standalone DVR's.  I'd much rather have the HR-2x's upgraded so I can have 9 tuners in the end... but it didn't sound like they could do that for me.  I am also on the protection plan, what do I need to say in order to get an upgrade like yours?

For some reason I felt like DirecTV was telling me they couldn't specifically upgrade an HR-21 to HR-24, but isn't the capacity of those different?  I would think that if the capacity of the 24 is more than the 21, that is a justifiable reason to want a specific model.

Sadly DirecTV considers the HR21/22/23/24 to be the same.  They are not but that is their policy and because they make the rules we just have to live with it.

#466 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

We had a free upgrade yesterday 6/10/13, I expected a hr34, got the hr44. I have not paid for a DVR for ever, the last one was the hr10-250. The free part is because we have the protection plan, the cheapest one direcTV has. There was no fee of any kind, just the 2 year contract. The HR44 is fast and so is the c41. We have a 23 & 24 hr's on the same whole home and the 44 has the speed of the whole deal up. The 44 is in the souther California now.

#467 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX, USA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Just got a hr44 in round rock, tx. Seems pretty fast!The only bummer is no netflix so I'll have to get another device for that. Tech said they ran out of hr34 and are only giving out 44s now.

AWESOME!  I have been waiting for this before I put in my order.

Thanks!

TAnsley

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#468 OFFLINE   taveanator

taveanator

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

For anyone in the New Orleans area I just spoke with a tech and all he has deployed are HR44's for the past week or so. I had to trim some trees before he'd come back and put the dish up though. 

#469 OFFLINE   pblhd

pblhd

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

I live in Mass. and tried to get a HR44 over the weekend, they only had HR34s and claimed to only have just heard of them but knew nothing more about them.  Anyone in Mass get a HR44 yet?  I'm in the central part ...

#470 OFFLINE   upgrade lately?

upgrade lately?

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Another HR44 install here in the Detroit area. Loving it so far. Also got 3 C41's.
HR44-500
(3) C41's

D* Since 2000

#471 OFFLINE   k_yarina

k_yarina

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

HR44 in Upper Michigan last Saturday, after rescheduling from two weeks earlier since the installer only had HR34s (he strongly encouraged waiting, which I planned to do anyway).  This time he only had HR44s on the truck.  Replaced an HR21 and HR20, with a C41 on the second set replacing the HR20.  The C41 got compatibility errors with the older 37" Olevia with HDMI (the HR20 didn't have any problems), but works fine and the wife is happy with component video.  No HDMI problems with a Visio E552VL.

Fast!  No time for coffee breaks between remote button presses like the 2x's.

Kirk

#472 OFFLINE   ljsss

ljsss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

I just called and this evening and was offered a genie for free with a $49 install fee if I signed up for 2 more years.  The install is supposed to be tomorrow afternoon!  Just FYI, I was also offered $30 off per month for 12 months and Sunday ticket (which I declined) and all movie channels free for 2 months.  The DirecTV rep was very nice.

I live in Birmingham, AL (actually Trussville).  I plan on calling the install company tomorrow morning to see if they have HR44s or HR34s.  I will reschedule if they only have HR34s.

I will update tomorrow with more info.

#473 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

Sadly DirecTV considers the HR21/22/23/24 to be the same.  They are not but that is their policy and because they make the rules we just have to live with it.

Not always the case when you have installers bring new equipment, but it varies by state and availability, now if it was self installed and they ship you a HR2x then it could be a luck of the draw.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#474 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

...Just FYI, I was also offered $30 off per month for 12 months and Sunday ticket (which I declined) and all movie channels free for 2 months. The DirecTV rep was very nice...

Why on earth would you decline when it's free?
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#475 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Not always the case when you have installers bring new equipment, but it varies by state and availability, now if it was self installed and they ship you a HR2x then it could be a luck of the draw.

I'm not sure what you mean?  When an installer supplies the receiver it still comes down to what they happen to have.  The only way you have any say is to send the installer packing if he/she doesn't have what you want.  Still doesn't change the fact that DirecTV considers the HR21/22/23 and 24 to be the same.

#476 OFFLINE   mark_winn

mark_winn

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

When you say covered under the PP upgrade, that means you did not have to pay anything (maybe less installation fee)? I ask because I am in a similar situation and have two HR-21 and want to add an HR-44 (when available). I've called a few times to DirecTV and they seem to want to give me a Genie and two clients, as opposed to a Genie and two new standalone DVR's. I'd much rather have the HR-2x's upgraded so I can have 9 tuners in the end... but it didn't sound like they could do that for me. I am also on the protection plan, what do I need to say in order to get an upgrade like yours? For some reason I felt like DirecTV was telling me they couldn't specifically upgrade an HR-21 to HR-24, but isn't the capacity of those different? I would think that if the capacity of the 24 is more than the 21, that is a justifiable reason to want a specific model.
I already had 5 active DVR's. The extra upgrades were a result of the installer. He told me he had to either use the HR24's on his truck or he would have to pay an extra charge because he had them too long. If you go with the Genie just request to the installer to also change out your existing units also. I actually had almost the same thing happen a couple of years ago on a service call. The installer has swapped out a couple of older receivers with the latest at the time. Hope it works out.
2 HR24's,1 HR20,2 HR21
2- 46" Samsung LCD,,32" Samsung LCD, 27" Samsung LCD,HDMI Connected to Sammy's
Native On,Slimeline 5LNB, AT&T DSL 6MBPS All HR2X networked enabled Network Enabled, VOD

#477 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm not sure what you mean?  When an installer supplies the receiver it still comes down to what they happen to have.  The only way you have any say is to send the installer packing if he/she doesn't have what you want.  Still doesn't change the fact that DirecTV considers the HR21/22/23 and 24 to be the same.

Thats why I said it varies by state and availability, not all techs carry newer equipment but if they do (which is better to confirm if the tech calls before the install time window) Is most likely you get those installed, But of course Directv reps won't know for sure or guarantee anything even if they put a note on the work order.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#478 OFFLINE   xceebeex

xceebeex

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

I have been debating on if I should call and try and upgrade to the Genie, but at this point I want to make sure I get the HR44 instead of the HR34. So far I haven't seen anyone say anything about the Binghamton, NY area and I hate to be the guy that calls and schedules and then reschedules until a HR44 is available. Right now, most of my discounts are finishing up and I have been out of contract for a while now so I would hope I could get some hefty discounts.

Anyone know if these are in the Binghamton, NY area yet?

#479 OFFLINE   CM Chuck

CM Chuck

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorthwood, OH

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi. I signed up for D* last week as a new customer hoping to get the HR44 (and 1 Mini Client). When the installer called today with his ETA I asked him about the HR44 and said the warehouse only has 34's still. I told him to cancel. I explained that I'm a techie type and that I want the best. He was totally understanding and said try again in a month. He said he was with DirectSAT. I'm in the Northwood (Toledo), Ohio area.

#480 OFFLINE   ljsss

ljsss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

The installer came and it was an HR44. Woo hoo! He said they didn't have any more HR34s. Again, I am in Birmingham, AL.

BTW, I declined Sunday ticket because he offered the movie channels instead when I told him I was not a pro football fan.

This has been a good experience all the way around.

One more thing - I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who takes their time to post on these forums. It is great to be able to come here and get all the information that I need so I can be an informed consumer before I call DTV.

spam firewall