Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HR44s are here! (Was: HR44 delayed...again)

• Please log in to reply
666 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

I've tried to get the HR34 a couple of times last year and they refused to offer any deals short of paying up to $400.

So I've been following the Comcast offers in my area and waiting for the new Tivos, just announced today.  Would be a big outlay but I figure I would have residual value (if I get the Lifetime) a few years down the line, versus paying an upfront cost and also monthly costs.

Compared to what I pay for D* and U-Verse Internet, I could reduce my monthly cost by almost $60 for the first 12-months and $40 for the second 12-months, plus get more channels and much faster Internet connection.

So I emailed Direct TV with these facts and they replied and offered a Genie with 1 TB disk and 5 tuners and one Genie Mini.  Not sure if this description makes it possible to determine if it's an HR34 or an HR44.

They'd also have to convert my wiring to SWM.  Oddly, while my account online didn't show any eligibility for DVRs, it did say I was eligible for a free Genie Go, which I think requires Whole Home Service in the first place?

So they're not offering any programming credits and the cost of the installation of the Genie and Genie Mini and presumably Whole Home would be $49 plus tax.

I'd still be paying more monthly and wouldn't get Red Zone, which is included in the Comcast package (as well as HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz).

The Roamio Tivos lets you stream to iOS devices in the home and will in the future let you stream over the Internet, so better functionality than Genie Go.

It would have to be the HR44 for me to even entertain this.  Maybe a wireless Mini instead of a wired Mini.

Has anyone been able to do better than just $49 install for Genie and Genie Mini?  Like get some programming credits for a year or two?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

So I emailed Direct TV with these facts and they replied and offered a Genie with 1 TB disk and 5 tuners and one Genie Mini.  Not sure if this description makes it possible to determine if it's an HR34 or an HR44.   Both have this same features. so can't tell

They'd also have to convert my wiring to SWM.  Oddly, while my account online didn't show any eligibility for DVRs, it did say I was eligible for a free Genie Go, which I think requires Whole Home Service in the first place?   The GenieGo does not require WHDVR.  it does require an HDDVR connected to the internet

The Roamio Tivos lets you stream to iOS devices in the home and will in the future let you stream over the Internet, so better functionality than Genie Go. The GenieGo let's you stream to the iOS devices as well using the GenieGo in home or out of home

It would have to be the HR44 for me to even entertain this.  Maybe a wireless Mini instead of a wired Mini. I would take a wired mini anytime instead of wireless IMO

Has anyone been able to do better than just $49 install for Genie and Genie Mini?  Like get some programming credits for a year or two?  You got a great deal. but some folks reported to have done better.  YMMV

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#603 OFFLINE   seadan

seadan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

So the installer had a hr34. Said hr44 may show up in a month's time, no guarantees though. I proceeded with the installation since it was a move install and I didn't want to delay that indefinitely.

Darn, my Genie upgrade is for the 23rd up in Anacortes.  I guess I'll take whatever they have on the truck but maybe I'll get lucky.

I had my installation appointment today for a Genie and GenieGO in Seattle (98119). Installer called, and said he only had HR34's -- hasn't seen the HR44 in the Seattle area yet (Lynnwood warehouse). I proceeded with the GenieGO installation with my existing HDDVRs, and while he was here, he got an email saying the HR44's were expected in Seattle sometime between August 26 and September 6.  Also, they will need to deplete the stock of HR34's before they can start installing HR44's. So, hopefully in a few weeks' time, we'll start to see HR44's appearing in the Seattle area...

#604 OFFLINE   DrZ

DrZ

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

Anybody know if there are HR44's in the central Massachusetts area?

#605 OFFLINE   innuss

innuss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

I went ahead w/ the HR34 installation up here in Anacortes.  Installer had heard of the 44's but said that they are often left out of the loop & had no idea when they would be available.

The HR34 seems pretty fast compared to the HR22.

#606 OFFLINE   PremierAV

PremierAV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

I've tried to get the HR34 a couple of times last year and they refused to offer any deals short of paying up to $400.

So I've been following the Comcast offers in my area and waiting for the new Tivos, just announced today.  Would be a big outlay but I figure I would have residual value (if I get the Lifetime) a few years down the line, versus paying an upfront cost and also monthly costs.

Compared to what I pay for D* and U-Verse Internet, I could reduce my monthly cost by almost $60 for the first 12-months and $40 for the second 12-months, plus get more channels and much faster Internet connection.

So I emailed Direct TV with these facts and they replied and offered a Genie with 1 TB disk and 5 tuners and one Genie Mini.  Not sure if this description makes it possible to determine if it's an HR34 or an HR44.

They'd also have to convert my wiring to SWM.  Oddly, while my account online didn't show any eligibility for DVRs, it did say I was eligible for a free Genie Go, which I think requires Whole Home Service in the first place?

So they're not offering any programming credits and the cost of the installation of the Genie and Genie Mini and presumably Whole Home would be $49 plus tax.

I'd still be paying more monthly and wouldn't get Red Zone, which is included in the Comcast package (as well as HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz).

The Roamio Tivos lets you stream to iOS devices in the home and will in the future let you stream over the Internet, so better functionality than Genie Go.

It would have to be the HR44 for me to even entertain this.  Maybe a wireless Mini instead of a wired Mini.

Has anyone been able to do better than just $49 install for Genie and Genie Mini?  Like get some programming credits for a year or two?

Your story and mine sound similar. I've been a customer since about 15 months after they went live in the Atlanta market. Through the years I'd get a free upgrade here and there, but never anything major. I've been asking them about the Genie as well as a SWiM 16 upgrade for over a year now. Finally a couple of weeks ago, (oddly enough when I had a HR24/100 crap out on me) I asked them again. To my surprise they offered the whole shooting match for free.

As of earlier this week everything is installed and working. The installer was not exactly happy to be here, but with my help, and prodding a bit, he did get it all installed. Free HR44/100 Genie, 2 clients, 1 DECA box (for a HR 23/600) and a SWM 16. Not a bad deal at all. :grin:  

#607 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

The installer I last had here was a little sharp with the attitude but did a good job. No thank you from him for saving him time on removing old equipment prior to him getting here though. I still gave him a 10 on all survey questions.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Ultimate Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#608 OFFLINE   PremierAV

PremierAV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

The installer I last had here was a little sharp with the attitude but did a good job. No thank you from him for saving him time on removing old equipment prior to him getting here though. I still gave him a 10 on all survey questions.

You did better than I did then. When my installer started off by telling me that I wasn't supposed to *know* about this stuff, and HE was supposed to be telling ME about what I needed and what worked I knew we were in for a bumpy day. I have a hard time giving anyone a 10, as that states perfection. This guy was far from perfection. :sure:

He did get most everything working, but I still ended up with one receiver that wasn't even put INTO the data stream. (Although it's not compatible with DECA ... no Ethernet port.) Then I had another HR-24 that wasn't seeing the other 24 or 44, and a non DVR that he put a DECA on that of course wasn't seeing the missing HR24 either.

#609 OFFLINE   pblhd

pblhd

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Tried for the 4th time in Central MA - no HR44s yet.  Was told by dispatch they'd have them between Aug 28th and Sept 6th.  We'll see as I've rescheduled for Sept 7th.

#610 OFFLINE   PremierAV

PremierAV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Tried for the 4th time in Central MA - no HR44s yet.  Was told by dispatch they'd have them between Aug 28th and Sept 6th.  We'll see as I've rescheduled for Sept 7th.

I wonder what rhyme and/or reason they use for rollout in different markets? My installer said their warehouse doesn't have anything BUT HR44's and it's been that way for a while. :shrug:

#611 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,968 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

We can all wonder, but I bet it's based on PERT charts and such....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#612 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if its not in some ways at least a just in time system,  and they are doing their best to not roll to markets until they are almost out of hr34s, as well as they needing to have enough hr44s in stock and being made.  obviously with three manufacturers they plan on making a lot of these.

#613 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Sweet, got the HR-44. (Installer said that is all they have now in the Phoenix area) The installer was the same guy that set up my HR-2X whole home DVR. He did a great job, replaced my legacy LNB with a SWM one. Got rid of the SWM8 switch and replace the power inserter in my junction box. Great guy, really knew what he was doing.

I only have one complaint, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 10 SEC SKIP BACK ON PLAY FROM FF???  I keep having to rewind after FF and PLAY because it does not go back far enough. Looks like it is now only 5 sec., c'mon DTV that is not enough!!!!!

Edited by jmbrooks, 26 August 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Russ

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero!

#614 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

What speed are you FFing? I've learned to use 3x and with timing and luck, don't have to rewind much at all. 

#615 OFFLINE   PremierAV

PremierAV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

"FF-ing", boy y'all would get along well with my wife. :icon_cool

I'm a huge fan of the 30 second (FF) and 7 second (RW) buttons. I'll use it every time, no matter what. The wife OTOH, she always uses FF (usually 3X) and can hit it darned good. We actually have two remotes in the family room and hers is the old worn out one. (In other words, her 30 second and 7 second buttons most time don't even work!) :eek:

She has now been granted access to my 'old' remote being as the '44' has a new one. After all.... it's NOT LIKE SHE'LL LEARN TO USE IT! (Anyone that sends her this message I'm gonna' knock down your dish.) :icon_an:

#616 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

For those in Long Island NY, HR44 are here. but warehouse guy will NOT give them out until current HR34 stock is depleted. it can take another week.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#617 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

I wonder what rhyme and/or reason they use for rollout in different markets? My installer said their warehouse doesn't have anything BUT HR44's and it's been that way for a while. :shrug:

Some areas are still working through their HR34 supply and haven't had to order new Genies yet.  This can happen in a city that doesn't have many customers or a larger city that overstocks all the time.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#618 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

HR44 are out in FULL force in Long Island, NY. order while they last…

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#619 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

For those in Long Island NY, HR44 are here. but warehouse guy will NOT give them out until current HR34 stock is depleted. it can take another week.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

wow thats strange since the H34 and HR44 are VIRTUALLY "identical" boxes.......wonder why theyd want to get rid of all the HR34's first...........................................

its also strange that this tread is filled with 31 pages of people refusing HR34s and insisting on HR44s from installers or hoping for HR44s....strange since they are EXACTLY the same unit in performance....it must just be all hype....

Edited by dtrell, 05 September 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#620 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,968 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

I don't recall anyone saying what you're positing. Nor do I understand the bitterness of the sarcasm! 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...