Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012-13 Season Ratings - Spring

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

For the next eight weeks, the networks will mix in reruns with new episodes and premiers of new shows. Each network will be evaluating which shows to continue next year using criteria which, contrary to the "bubble" watching pundits, aren't completely predictable.

Then in mid-May the networks will hold their annual "upfronts" to sell the Fall shows to advertisers. At times we have seen some shows not get their Fall pickup until the night before its network has scheduled its upfront. (Note that some cable channels are already holding their upfront presentations.)

And so it begins with the ratings for the first Thursday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox was the only network between 8-10 pm where one could turn to see no repeat last night. That was, of course, a 2 hour "American Idol" which allowed Fox to win the 8-10 pm race with a 3.8 million demo and 8.7 million 50+. That seems like a hollow victory because a 2 hour "Idol" last year pulled a 5.3 million demo and 13 million in the 50+ crowd.

CBS ran reruns of its regular programming at the regular times. It won the 8-11 pm race. A rerun of "The Big Bang Theory" actually beat "Idol" in the 50+ crowd which wasn't true last year. The rerun of "Person of Interest" actually scored slightly higher than last year in the demo. But the rerun of "Elementary" scored slightly lower than a rerun of the "The Mentalist" last year.

ABC's new episode of "Zero Hour" actually scored lower than a rerun of "Missing" last year. The Kimmel rerun also scored lower than last year.

NBC is getting ready for next year.

The CW. No one can quite figure out what they are doing.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I never thought I would see a Friday that CBS ran dead last in the demo in every hour (well, except for The CW and CBS is half owner of it):

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS gave this Friday away, all reruns, though in truth the clear Friday win has been in the 50+ age group which they more or less won last night with reruns.

Next week they are bringing back the "Undercover Boss" series at 8:00 and offering the first showing of a "Golden Boy" episode at its regular day and time at 9:00, followed by a new episode of "Blue Bloods" which should give them a demo win in one or more hours.

But I would have to say that if it were NBC, I'd be saying they are taking a big risk letting last night go with reruns after the devastating failure of "The Job" at 8 pm. during February Sweeps.

ABC won the night in the demo with slilght jumps in the demo for the 8 pm hour two comedies, "Shark Tank" at 9 pm, and "20/20" at 10 pm. This will be their lineup next week which could be problematic.

NBC ran #3 but only because the 8-10 pm "Dateline" pulled stronger ratings in the 9 pm hour. Next week they will premier "Fashion Star" at 8 pm and bring back "Grimm" at 9 pm. And they will leave Brian Williams at 10 pm to battle with ABC's "20/20" over the leftovers from "Blue Bloods."

Fox. "Kitchen Nightmares" next week is a part 2 - this week part 1 didn't do very well. The last time this show ran against a new "Undercover Boss" it didn't do so well. How it will do against fellow reality shows "Undercover Boss" and "Fashion Star" next week will be interesting.

"Touch" makes "Fringe" look like it was a ratings winner. I suppose if they're paying the show runner Tim Kring and star Kiefer Sutherland a commission based on ratings instead of a salary they can afford not to replace it with reruns of "Bones", but....

The CW. I expect to see a day soon when The CW will drop Fridays just like they dropped Sunday.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Here's the first Sunday of the Spring 2013 season:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS does have bragging rights to the averages in both the demo and 50+ crowd. In terms of the demo they won the first four half hours of the night. When you add in the 50+ crowd for total viewers they won all eight half hours. While many think "The Good Wife" is "on the bubble", you have to note that it brings back the 50+ crowd many of whom go elsewhere during "The Amazing Race." Yes, it is down slightly from last year but total viewers at 9 pm are way down from last year's 9.3 million demo and 20.2 million 50+ compared to this year's 6.5 million demo and 18.6 million 50+.

ABC's "Once Upon a Time" last year on the comparable night of the season pulled a 3.4 million demo and 7.2 million 50+ compared to last night's 2.1 million demo and 5.1 million 50+. But I'm sure it is clear to anyone just outside the doors this morning that something is obviously wrong in the executive suites at ABC. The two hour "Red Widow" premiered to an overall 1.4 million demo and 5.3 million 50+. Last year "GBC" premiered at 10 pm to a 2.2 million demo and 5.4 million 50+, though one has to acknowledge that "Desperate Housewives" did give it a decent lead in.

Fox's animated lineup, even with some reruns and schedule shuffling, does ok.

NBC. Bottom ranked as always, there's still something to be upset about in the NBC executive suite. "Celebrity Apprentice" premiered to an average of 1.6 million in the demo and 3.5 million 50+, compared to the show's ratings last year at 2.2 million and 4.3 million 50+.

As noted above, 9 pm saw a significant drop in ratings particularly in the demo and my guess is that AMC's "The Walking Dead" contributed to that. The cable ratings will be available later.

Edited by phrelin, 04 March 2013 - 01:55 PM.
typo

My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

...I'm sure it is clear to anyone just outside the doors this morning that something is obviously wrong in the executive suites at ABC. The two hour "Red Widow" premiered to an overall 1.4 million demo and 5.3 million 50+. Last year "GBC" premiered at 10 pm to a 2.2 million demo and 5.4 million 50+, though one has to acknowledge that "Desperate Housewives" did give it a decent lead in.

The two hour series premiere of Red Widow earned a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating, down 33 percent from a 2.1 for the series premiere of 666 Park Avenue on September 30. :eek:

That's very bad news for Red Widow. Is there any plausable, defensible reason for such poor ratings?

It is a toxic-feedback loop that the networks seem to have gotten into lately. They cancel shows like Zero Hour for lack of viewers, but they scare viewers off by cancelling shows after only three episodes. These cancellations drive away viewers, thus creating the poor ratings that justify the cancellations. Their decisions are causing their own downfall. Any one can see that, so are they just that oblivious? :confused::rolleyes:
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#5 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

That's very bad news for Red Widow. Is there any plausable, defensible reason for such poor ratings?

Maybe it had something to do with that religious themed program over on History that brought in almost 15 million viewers and 5 million in the demo over both airings Sunday night.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Here's evidence that a whole lot of folks weren't watching broadcast TV on Sunday:

Posted Image

I recognize that you can't literally look at the total. And many on the West Coast with satellite watch these shows at a time three hours earlier. But the fact remains that there are a lot of live viewers not watching broadcast TV.

This had to hurt the premier of "Red Widow".

My AV Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Given the results of February sweeps, seems like Univision should be included and NBC excluded.

I have said it before and I will say it again. NBC can trace all its problems to the 1990s when it paid so much money for two shows -- ER and Friends -- that it had no money to develop their successors. By 2004 the network had no leg to stand on and began a decline that has turned into a massive embarrassment.

It may seem odd to those who have never seen a broadcast network dissolve (and most of us haven't) but I predict that the NBC broadcast network will stop full-time operation by January 1, 2016. They may continue to broadcast less than 32 hours per week but they will no longer be classified as full-time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Here's the first Monday of the Spring 2013 season:

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

CBS. I've included the February Sweeps Monday averages because CBS ran reruns last night which is the same strategy they used last year. As you can see, the network dropped from having bragging rights to the demo win to 4th. This always seems risky, but it does save new episodes to run later. They did run a new "Rules of Engagement" at 8:30 which tied with "The Biggest Loser" for #2 in the demo and beat it in the 50+ crowd.

ABC's "The Bachelor" won the demo in three of its four half hours. The "Castle" rerun won 10 pm.

Fox's "The Following" won the demo in the 9 pm half hour and won the 50+ crowd the entire 9 pm hour. "Bones" did ok and certainly did better than the first hour of a two-hour "Alcatraz" last year.

NBC's "The Biggest Loser" did beat CBS reruns for #2 in the demo. But "Deception" came in #3 at 10 pm against reruns on the other two networks.

The CW Monday lineup continues to perform badly even for The CW.

My AV Setup

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Given the results of February sweeps, seems like Univision should be included and NBC excluded.

I have said it before and I will say it again. NBC can trace all its problems to the 1990s when it paid so much money for two shows -- ER and Friends -- that it had no money to develop their successors. By 2004 the network had no leg to stand on and began a decline that has turned into a massive embarrassment.

It may seem odd to those who have never seen a broadcast network dissolve (and most of us haven't) but I predict that the NBC broadcast network will stop full-time operation by January 1, 2016. They may continue to broadcast less than 32 hours per week but they will no longer be classified as full-time.

I agree. Comcast is not going to continue to tolerate a money-losing cost center.

IMHO what NBC tried to do with Leno at 10 pm was "slip" into a 2 hour prime time like Fox and The CW. They have Fall Sunday's locked with Sunday Night Football. Their only problem with a Mon-Friday 2-hour prime time is with their affiliates whose complaints about the 10 pm Leno ratings hurting their 11 pm local news now look rather foolish.

"Chicago Fire" on Wednesday is NBC's only 10 pm scripted entry that isn't a total loser and it would do fine at 9 pm. Brian Willliams has the next highest ratings in the network's 10 pm time slot.

What the local affiliates have to do is decide to compete in the 10 pm local news slot - but that would mean finding 25 minutes more of filler or pretend like they could be important locally by hiring some reporters.

Frankly if NBC broadcast locals shut down or became independents and USA carried more new scripted programming, Bravo carried more new reality programming and MSNBC and/or CNBC carried an NBC nightly national news, we would not suffer. And the CBS and ABC locals could share a larger 11 pm local news audience.

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

For the first Tuesday of Spring, I've added last week for a comparison:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox decided to run the this season's first live episode of American Idol on a Tuesday rather than the normal Wednesday/Thursday pattern. The reason I am showing last Tuesday with this Tuesday is because Fox's usual Tuesday is a comedy lineup. Looking at where "Idol's" viewers came from, it was ABC, NBC, and a bunch of folks that weren't watching broadcast network TV last week. I'm guessing that last night's "Idol" will see some DVR viewing also because of CBS Tuesday show loyalists who would have watched Wednesday and Thursday. "NCIS" actually led in the demo during first half hour and "Idol" tied in the second half hour only because it picked up some late arrival additional viewers. I'll also note that "Idol" was down from last Wednesday's two hour edition.

CBS. As you can see, the "NCIS" franchises did well against "Idol" scoring a huge lead in the 50+ crowd in the two hour period as well as winning the 8 pm hour in the demo. The second Tuesday showing of "Golden Boy" slipped scoring about the same in the demo as the regular in the 10 pm time slot, "Vegas", and lower in the 50+ crowd. That bodes ill for the CBS effort to score better than "CSI: NY" on Fridays at 9 pm. Overall, CBS got bragging rights for last night, "Idol" notwithstanding. Neither "Golden Boy" nor "Vegas" are doing as well as "Unforgettable" did last year in the Tuesday 10 pm slot.

ABC's reality shows took a hit last night, particularly "Wife Swap" at 8 pm which had viewers to lose. "The Taste" has been doing badly anyway. "Body of Proof" clearly found its audience last year and held it this year, which is only enough for #2 at 10 pm.

NBC is performing like NBC. My guess is that Univision scored above NBC last night.

"Go On" and "The New Normal" titles work well for commenting on NBC's ratings - "Go on, that's the new normal???"

Last year "Fashion Star" scored double the demo "Smash " is getting in the 10 pm slot. So did the frequently almost cancelled "Parenthood" in January 2013. "Smash" is a financial disaster for NBC and for its affiliates expecting a lead in to local news. We all remember the affiliates attacking NBC in the press for doing the Leno show. Here's some info from Wikipedia:

As of November 1, 2009, The Jay Leno Show has averaged a 1.98 in the adults 18–49 ratings and 6.594 million viewers. During the week before Christmas, the ratings dropped to 1.4 during the week. Prior to the controversy regarding the move of the Jay Leno Show to 11:35 p.m., viewership bottomed out at 4.799 million viewers, although there was a slight bump as word of the controversy broke

Compared to "Smash" those numbers look awfully good. I can't quite figure out why the programming experts at the affiliates aren't screaming in the press about "Smash" and the rest of NBC's weeknight 10 pm lineup.:sure:

The CW is only offering one hour of new programming, "Hart of Dixie" which obviously has its audience. It occasionally shows up in the 7 day DVR ratings with a high percentage increase in the demo, likely gets a lot of streaming, and sells digital music.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Here is the first Wednesday of Spring 2013. I've added last week for comparison:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox. While "American Idol" won the 8-10 pm competition, it was given a pass by the other networks running reruns. Still, it's ratings dropped from last week. And for the two hours, last year it pulled 5.6 million in the demo and 12.9 million in the 50+ crowd compared to this year with 3.7 million in the demo and 9.0 million in the 50+ crowd.

CBS. "Survivor", like "Idol", is slipping. Last year it pulled 3.2 million in the demo and 7.4 million in the 50+ crowd, compared to this year 2.5 - 6.9. Everything else was reruns.

ABC also ran mostly reruns. Regarding their comedy lineup, by running reruns of the two shows that start on the hour, it appears that might have hurt the new episodes of the two shows that start on the half hour.

NBC probably did worse than Univision with "Whitney" being its only new episode of the night.

The CW also ran reruns.

My AV Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

It has been reported that CBS is leaving Golden Boy on Tuesdays, and moving Vegas to the Friday slot. I have no idea what their rationale is for this. How have the shows compared ratings-wise?
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

It has been reported that CBS is leaving Golden Boy on Tuesdays, and moving Vegas to the Friday slot. I have no idea what their rationale is for this. How have the shows compared ratings-wise?

The rationale is that if "Vegas" keeps its current Tuesday ratings levels on Friday the show might survive because the standard for ratings on Friday at 9 pm is lower than a Tuesday.

And there is a little evidence that "Golden Boy" will pull a slightly higher demo in the Tuesday at 10 pm slot. I say "little" because there was a drop from the pilot to episode 2 which indicates it might continue to drop.

That's what the pundits are speculating. I would speculate that "Golden Boy" may be a less expensive show than "Vegas" and therefore might be more likely to get a second season order if it can keep a demo average over 1.6 million. I have to assume that the cast of "Vegas" is expensive.

My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Just in case you think you understand network scheduling, here's the second Thursday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox really loves to play "Where's Waldo" with their schedule - you know, the schedule that runs weeknights from 8:00 to 10:00. Last night they threw in a new wrinkle and ran a new episode of "Glee" from 9:30 to 10:30 after a 90 minute "American Idol."

Last year on the equivalent night they ran an hour "Idol" that pulled a 4.8 million demo and a 12.2 million 50+.and an hour "The Finder" which pulled a 2.3 million demo and 5.0 million 50+. For the two hours, they averaged a 3.6 million demo and 8.6 million 50+. This year for the two hours, they averaged a 3.4 million demo and 8.2 million 50+. The peculiarly scheduled hour of "Glee" did beat last year's "The Finder" and the last regularly scheduled new episode of "Glee", but the 1½ hour "Idol" slipped substantially from last year's one hour episode.

They also screwed up my spreadsheet grumble, grumble, grumble.:mad:

CBS. While Fox was experimenting CBS won bragging rights to the night even with a rerun at 10 pm. They won the demo in 4 out of the 6 half hours - 8:00, 8:30, 9:30 (tie) and 10:30. I'm not quite sure what Fox thought would happen....

NBC rebuilding so they lose to Univision.

The CW ran reruns.

Edited by phrelin, 09 March 2013 - 11:04 AM.
typo

My AV Setup

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Here's the second Friday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. We have been given an opportunity to see if CEO Les Moonves and his team can recover from a serious screwup. At this point CBS has completely lost its bragging rights to Friday.

The screwup began a few weeks ago when at 8:00 they offered a new show "The Job" which tanked in the ratings. Last night they aired a new episode "Undercover Boss." At it's last outing on February 1, it pulled a 1.9 million demo and 8.0 million 50+. This time it pulled 1.4 - 5.9.

Last night CBS execs pulled a Fox. Earlier this week they decided that "Golden Boy" intended for Fridays was doing so well at Tuesday that they'd let the scheduled Friday episode run but then continue it on Tuesday and move "Vegas" to Friday. So last night "Golden Boy" pulled a 1.0 million demo and 6.45 million 50+ compared to last Tuesday's 1.6 - 7.7. It ran behind "CSI: NY" February Sweeps performance. Playing Where's Waldo with "Golden Boy" and "Vegas" was a dumb idea. The question is will someone at the network panic and do further damage to "Golden Boy"? If and how they save this situation will tell us if CBS is really better at scheduling damage control then the other networks or has CBS just been resting on its procedurals.

At 10 pm "Blue Bloods" did slightly below its February Sweeps average, so it appear that the earlier time slots scheduling problems did no damage to it.

ABC has bragging rights to last night winning all but the 8:30 half hour.

NBC. Despite the fact that the season return of "Grimm" ran #2 in the demo, "Fashion Star" and "Brian Williams Rock Center" did so poorly that NBC ran last in the 8:00 - 11:00 race. And Univision probably beat them.

Fox isn't doing very well on Fridays. "Touch" did beat "Cult' on The CW, but it isn't looking good.

The CW moved its new show "Cult" to Friday either to burn the episodes off or see if it can gain some life through streaming, I'm not sure which.

Edited by phrelin, 09 March 2013 - 11:51 AM.

My AV Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Grimm did twice as good as Touch. I don't know itf that means anything except that the premier was eagerly anticipated by many Grimm fans.
Luke

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Grimm did twice as good as Touch. I don't know itf that means anything except that the premier was eagerly anticipated by many Grimm fans.

"Grimm" ran #2 beating "Golden Boy" which to me means it continues to be a strong scripted program for NBC - the network that took a big loss on "Smash" while burying "Grimm", a stronger program, on Friday.

"Smash" of course strongly appeals to the uptown New York City folks surrounding 30 Rock (the building not the show) who don't watch live television.

"Grimm" appeals to 30%± of the live age 18-49 demo which is the source of broadcast network profits. A significant portion of the live demo doesn't watch TV on Friday nights, so that's where NBC scheduled a show that would otherwise make them some money.

IMHO Comcast needs to move NBC's offices to Omaha and replace everyone who works in the executive suite.

My AV Setup

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Here's the second Sunday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. While CBS has bragging rights to Sunday night, they only won 4 out of the 8 half hours in the demo, though they won all 8 in the 50+ crowd. What advertisers on broadcast network TV are going to face is the question - how many 50+ viewers does it take to equal 100,000 demo viewers. I'm not sure the answer is going to be simple given this recent headline in the Wall Street Journal Young Adults Retreat From Piling Up Debt. The story tells us:

A typical young U.S. household—defined as one led by someone under age 35—had $15,000 in total debt in 2010, down from $18,000 in 2001 and the lowest since 1995, according to a recent Pew Research Center report and government data. Total debt includes mortgage loans, credit cards, auto lending, student loans and other consumer borrowing.

In addition, fewer young adults carried credit-card balances and 22% didn't have any debt at all in 2010—the most since government tracking began in 1983.

...If young people have a better handle on their other debts, they may more easily pay off student loans. On the other hand, less borrowing generally means less spending, which can weigh on the economy.

So at 9:00 pm last night the CBS show "The Good Wife" ranks #4 in the demo and #1 in the 50+ crowd. Compared to ABC's "Revenge" what are those 2.8 million more "The Good Wife" 50+ viewers worth compared to to the 0.5 million more "Revenge" demo viewers? If 0.2 million of the "Revenge" demo viewers are not spending on cars and smaller ticket items, what does that mean for advertisers looking at ratings?

ABC won only one half hour in the demo last night, 9:30 pm. Still, its shows are competitive except at 10:00 pm where "Red Widow" slipped from its premier ratings running well below the 2.3 million demo of the second episode of "GBC" last year.

NBC ran four hours of "Celebrity Apprentice", which resulted in the network in the demo scoring dead last for six half hours and first in the 10 pm two half hours. Since the 7-9 pm two hour rerun cost next to nothing and the 9-11 pm two hour new episode probably represents low per minute production costs, the network likely made money last night. Apparently the goal is to combine Fall "Sunday Night Football" with Spring low cost Sunday reality shows in order to overcome the big losses the rest of the week on shows like "Smash."

Edited by phrelin, 11 March 2013 - 11:26 AM.

My AV Setup

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Here's the second Monday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. I'm starting with CBS just to indicate what's going on with Mondays. Here's the averages for February Sweeps:

Posted Image

When you compare the Sweeps Averages to the first two Spring Mondays you get confirmation of the fact that by running reruns in every time slot but 8:30, CBS is giving the other three networks a "pass" for these two weeks. The reason for this will become evident starting next week when "Dancing with the Stars" returns to ABC and the following week when "The Voice" returns to NBC. The competition between the reality shows and the scripted shows will be hot and heavy.

ABC's finale of "The Bachelor" dominated the night.

Fox. The "Bones" rerun ran 4th. "The Following" new episode ran #2.

NBC's "The Biggest Loser" ran #3 in the demo and #4 in the 50+ crowd all four half hour slots from 8-10 pm. "Deception" is still running poorly.

The CW. Speaking of running poorly....

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,382 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Here's the second Tuesday of 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS won the night in the 50+ crowd as usual, even though the first two hours were reruns. In those two hours, the reruns placed #2 in the 18-49 crowd. "Golden Boy" won the 10 pm new episode competition but its ratings are not noticeably different from "Vegas." The question is whether it will build an audience like many CBS shows have over the years or slide in the ratings like "Vegas" did.

Fox won the 8-10 demo with a two hour premier of "Hell's Kitchen", but not by much against "NCIS" franchise reruns on CBS.

ABC's two reality shows did poorly in the 8-10 pm two hours against "Hell's Kitchen."

NBC continues to outperform The CW.:rolleyes:

The CW. It's worth noting that in the last available Live + 7 day DVR information which was for February 19, "Hart of Dixie" got a 80% boost in the demo from DVR watching.

My AV Setup

spam firewall