Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012-13 Season Ratings - Spring

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

I think NBC is still paying for the Leno fiasco where they bumped five shows to run Jay Leno in prime time. This not only cost them the five shows but ultimately cost them Conan O'Brian as well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

I think NBC is still paying for the Leno fiasco where they bumped five shows to run Jay Leno in prime time. This not only cost them the five shows but ultimately cost them Conan O'Brian as well.

I think that is a good point. What I'm still wondering is if someone at that time intended to compete only with Fox and The CW with 8-10 pm programming and chose the Leno route to back into that. It appears there just aren't enough viewers at 10 pm to pay for three networks running scripted programming. I don't think anyone thought the affiliates would protest as much as they did.

Here's the second Wednesday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox's "American Idol" which won the 8-10 pm race was competing against its ratings last year and it lost. Last year it scored 5.3/15 - 17.88 against this year's 3.6/11 - 13.08. That's a 32% drop in the demo.

CBS. "Survivor", the networks only new episode last night, ran #2 though it too was down 14% in the demo from last year's 2.9/9 - 10.03.

ABC seems to have hung "The Neighbors" out to dry last night as its only show with a new episode. We like the show, but it's obvious it will not get another season. The "CSI" rerun still attracted the 50+ group at 10 pm.

NBC should have ordered a couple of extra episodes of "Chicago Fire", not run reruns, and publicized the show to see if it could pick up some viewers. But then NBC should have, could have....

The CW also ran reruns.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

ABC seems to have hung "The Neighbors" out to dry last night as its only show with a new episode. We like the show, but it's obvious it will not get another season.

Zap2It's Bubble Watch says it's certain/likely for renewal. They get some borderline predictions wrong, but I don't recall a prediction this strong being wrong.

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Zap2It's Bubble Watch says it's certain/likely for renewal. They get some borderline predictions wrong, but I don't recall a prediction this strong being wrong.

I hope I'm wrong. Right now ABC has 13 sitcoms that have been given a pilot order for 2013-14 which gives them flexibility.

Maybe when their full Wednesday lineup returns with new episodes "The Neighbors" situation will look better. Admittedly last year "Suburgatory" in this time slot did not do as well in rerun weeks and they picked it up. But I'm not as comfortable as Bubble Watch's Robert Seidman in looking back to last year's decision-making process for ABC, as well as NBC.

EDIT: Part of my thinking is based on the scheduling. "The Neighbors" season finale is March 27 at which point "Suburgatory" is supposed to be moved to the 8:30 slot and "How to Live With Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life)" with Sarah Chalke, Elizabeth Perkins, and Brad Garrett premiers in the 9:30 slot. (I really have no idea how to fit that title on my spreadsheet.)

Edited by phrelin, 14 March 2013 - 04:16 PM.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Here's the third Thursday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS won five of the six half hours in the demo and 50+ crowd (and tied in the 8:30 half hour for #1 in the demo). Even "2⅓ Men" was competitive with "American Idol". Next week, however, March Madness NCAA Basketball will begin preempting the regular CBS shows.

Fox's only ratings winner "American Idol" ran #2 in its hour slipping 33% in the demo from last year when it pulled 4.5/14 -15.52 compared to 3.0/10- 11.63. "Glee" did get a bump, perhaps from last week's odd scheduling finding a few new demo viewers.

ABC's only new episode last night was "Grey's Anatomy" which ran low compared to February Sweeps. Next week the network will premier a new season of "Wife Swap" at 8 pm followed by new episodes of "Grey's" and "Scandal" while CBS is running basketball.

NBC's new episode of "Community" ran #5 in the demo behind The CW's "Vampire Diaries." Again, NBC needs to move its executive offices to Omaha where the executive's won't be confused by the entertainment tastes of folks working in downtown New York City who don't watch live TV. "Parks & Rec" did run #3 ahead of the "Shark Tank' rerun on ABC. "The Office" did run #3 ahead of "Glee." Facing the prospect of no new season, the dud "1600 Penn" ran #4.

The CW's "Vampire Diaries" gets decent ratings for the network.

My AV Setup

#26 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Here's the third Friday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first thing someone following ratings has to notice about Fridays is the total number of viewers in any hour. A typical Tuesday when new episodes are running there are about 36 million total viewers at 8 pm, 35 million at 9 pm and 20 million at 10 pm. On Friday a third of those viewers just don't show up between 8-10 pm. What's more surprising is that the missing viewers are nearly the same in all age groups. What's more troubling is that it appears that there has been a drop of around 20% compared to last year.

ABC in the demo won the 8:00, 9:00, and 9:30 half hours. That gave them the win in the 8-10 race even though "Shark Tank" was a rerun.

CBS ran reruns at 8 pm and 9 pm. That still gave them #2 in the demo and #1 in the 50+ crowd for the 8-10 pm race. And "Blue Bloods" at 10 pm wins handily.

NBC's "Grimm" tied for #1 in the demo for the 9:00 half hour and ran #2 in the 9:30 half hour, leaving it #2 for the hour behind a rerun of "Shark Tank." "Fashion Star" seems to be out of fashion. And Brian Williams is slipping down the slope.

Fox. The new episode of "Kitchen Nightmares" ran about the same as its reruns did last Spring. Speaking of nightmares, "Touch" must be disturbing the sleep of the network execs because it isn't disturbing the sleep of many viewers.

The CW. "Nikita" gets a 67% boost from demo DVR viewers which may be an indication of how it's doing in streaming. That still doesn't give it an impressive total but it's probably good enough for a fourth season. "Cult", on the other hand has a pretty small cult following, not enough for another season.

My AV Setup

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Here's the results for the third Sunday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS won the first four half hours. "The Good Wife" ran #4 in the demo in the 9:00 hour but won the 50+ viewers. This will be an interesting dilemma. "The Mentalist" at 10 pm ran #2 in the demo but because of its draw with the 50+ group it pulled 49.2% of the total viewers. While "Celebrity Apprentice" pulled in 400,000 more demo viewers, "The Mentalist" pulled in 3,400,000 more 50+ viewers. I keep wondering how much more stuff those 400,000 18-49 viewers would buy than the 3,400,000 50+ viewers.

ABC's new episodes of "Once Upon a Time" and "Revenge" pulled adequate ratings. "Red Widow" continued its slow fall into ABC's pile of one season dramas.

NBC's two hour "Celebrity Apprentice" seems to draw the demo. Combined with a two hour "Dateline" last night, the network offered comparatively low cost programming which should have given it a profit. The plan for the remainder of Spring is to run or rerun "The Voice" episodes during the first part of the night and finish the night with new episodes of "Celebrity Apprentice". It should make Sunday's profitable - not very creative, but profitable.

Fox's animated lineup continues to perform well. "Family Guy" won its half hour in the demo.

My AV Setup

#28 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Here's the third Monday of Spring 2013 with about ten million more live viewers showing up than the past two weeks:

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" premier was the big winner bringing in 7-8 million more viewers than the prior two weeks most of them in the age 50+ population. It was down from last year's 3.4/9 - 17.88. With "Castle" winning the 10 pm slot it was essentially a clean sweep for the network, although....

CBS's "How I Met Your Mother" tied for #1 in the demo in the 8 pm half hour. Otherwise, the CBS comedy lineup ran #3 in the demo and #2 among the 50+ folks.

NBC's "The Biggest Loser" finale gave the network a #2 in the demo though #4 in the 50+ group. The finale of "Deception" lost at 10 pm.

Fox's little engines that could did pretty well, all things considered. "Bones" got respectable ratings against the "DWTS" premier, a new "HIMYM", and the finale of "Biggest Loser." "The Following" actually grew from "Bones."

The CW. (When there's nothing to say, it's better to say nothing.)

For the rest of the Spring 2013 Monday's will be competitive.

My AV Setup

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Here's the third Tuesday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS continues to control Tuesday night winning all six half hours in both the demo and the 50+ group. "NCIS" is down slightly from last year but "NCIS: LA" is up slightly from last year. "Golden Boy" may be starting to gain an audience, though it's still a bit behind its premier. It is running better than "Vegas" in the demo but behind in the 50+. It is 20% down from "Unforgettable", the show that turned out to be a good lesson on 10 pm time slots. After crunching numbers, CBS ordered "Unforgettable" episodes to bring it back for Summer 2013.

ABC ran #2 in all six half hours, though it did tie with Fox in the demo at 9 pm. "Splash" premiered with ratings adequate for the time slot given that it's a reality show with low costs, as did the "Dancing with the Stars" episode. "Body of Proof" gained, probably from a stronger lead-in.

Fox's lineup is pulling an adequate demo, except perhaps "The Mindy Project." "New Girl" tied for #2 in the demo in its half hour.

The CW at 8 pm offered "The iHeartRadio Album Release Party With Justin Timberlake" which found fewer hearts than the last original episode of "Hart of Dixie."

My AV Setup

#30 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

I'm a day behind as life sometimes gets in the way. Here's the third Wednesday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox won the first two hours with "American Idol" which was down from last week in the 9:00 hour and down from last year's 4.9/14 - 16.56 compared to this year's 3.5/10 - 12.67. A 29% drop in the demo year-year-over-year has to put a frown or two on faces at the Fox executive suite.

CBS shows ran #2 in the first four half hours and #1 in the last two half hours of the night.

ABC. The new episode of "Suburgatory" ran #4 last night preceded by a rerun of "Modern Family" that ran #3. That, along with the fact I like the show, doesn't bode well for "Suburgatory".

NBC. After two weeks of reruns, a new episode of the promising "Chicago Fire" slipped in the ratings. It had been pulling a consistent 1.9/5 in the demo but dropped to 1.7/5.

The CW. "The Arrow" and "Supernatural" continue to do well for The CW shows.

My AV Setup

#31 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Here's the fourth Thursday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image
If you need larger print you can click on the image above.

Posted Image

CBS, which usually wins the night, ran the normal for this time of year March Madness NCAA Basketball Tournament second round game last night giving it the #2 position between 8-9 pm in both the demo and 50+, #3 between 9-10, and #2 in the demo and #3 in the 50+ crowd between 10;11 pm. The problem is that this was live and so appeared in earlier time slots as one moves west across time zones which gives the other networks a better chance in competition against locals showing reruns.

Fox. "American Idol" is down 30% in the demo, dropping from last year's 4.0/13 - 15.01 to this year's 2.8/9 -11.65.

ABC premiered "Wife Swap" and ran new episodes of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Scandal" which gave the network a win in the 8-11 pm race. However, "Wife Swap" ran #3 in the 8:00 hour. But at least it's cheaper to produce than the losers like "Zero Hour" that ran in this slot previously this year.

NBC. "Community" at 8:00 and a "1600 Penn" at 8:30 both ran #5 in the demo behind The CW's "Vampire Diaries." Actually, they probably ran #6 if you factor in Univision. There is not much else one can say about NBC for the night other than to again suggest moving all their executives from 30 Rockefeller Center to Omaha, Nebraska, so they can get in touch with people who watch live TV.

The CW. "Vampire Diaries" beat the NBC offering ... oh, I already mentioned that. :sure:

My AV Setup

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

In passing, the ratings finals for CBS Thursday NCAA basket ball were 1.8/6 - 5.47, which IMHO means CBS is giving away money.

Here's the fourth Friday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Univision Friday ran ahead of everyone but ABC in the demo. What can I say....:sure:

ABC seems to have taken control of Fridays, even ignoring the fact that CBS ran basketball live EDT forcing affiliates in other time zones to run reruns.

CBS. By running March Madness, CBS gave away its big lead in the 50+ crowd.

NBC's "Grimm" was enough to give the network a tie for #2 position with CBS in the demo ahead of Fox and #2 in the 50+ crowd ahead of CBS and Fox.

Fox continues to run ahead of The CW on Fridays.

The CW ran just behind Telemundo for the night. :rolleyes:

Edited by phrelin, 23 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

My AV Setup

#33 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,838 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

To be fair, there were 3 other March Madness games on TNT, TBS, & TruTV... So, viewers were likely bouncing around the 4 channels.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#34 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

To be fair, there were 3 other March Madness games on TNT, TBS, & TruTV... So, viewers were likely bouncing around the 4 channels.

That's true, but CBS is still giving away ratings.

My AV Setup

#35 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

I assume you forgot or missed the lower case "b" in Thursday's listing for "Person of Interest". When I saw it at first, I wondered what had happened to have it drop more than 50% from what it had been running. :eek:

Then I saw the "b" in all the other CBS shows for the evening, so I assume it was simply omitted.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#36 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

That's true, but CBS is still giving away ratings.

Would CBS repeats have beaten basketball? Or do you think that CBS should air originals 52 weeks a year?

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Would CBS repeats have beaten basketball? Or do you think that CBS should air originals 52 weeks a year?

Good question about the repeats. Thursday maybe, Friday definitely not. Now whether basketball is more profitable than repeats, I don't know.

For those looking for Sunday, let me quote TV-by-the-Numbers:

Due to overruns, CBS ratings are scrambled and essentially worthless until we get the finals tomorrow.

Because the numbers we have are misleading, I'll wait until tomorrow to post Sunday.

My AV Setup

#38 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

Here is the 4th Sunday of Spring 2013 with final ratings and showing CBS shows as they appeared in their regular time on the West Coast:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS regular shows appeared to have been given a bump by the 45 minute overrun of the NCAA Basketball Tournament lead in which pulled 4.0/14 - 11.24, at least until folks in the East didn't want to stay up very late to watch "The Mentalist."

NBC's "Celebrity Apprentice" took a hit.

ABC shows appear to have been stable with "Red Widow" perhpas gaining slightly from "The Mentalist" being off its regular time.

Fox's animated lineup continues to perform adequately.

And here's the fourth Monday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

NBC. With the season premier of "The Voice" and the season return of "Revolution", NBC took control of Monday night in the demo.

ABC remained in control of the 50+ crowd with "Dancing with the Stars" and "Castle".

CBS, which won February Sweeps, is not going to do well this Spring against the reality show 8-10 pm lineup. And "Hawaii Five-0" already was finding "Castle" to be real competition, but with "Revolution" the show ends up fading to #3 in the demo and #2 with the older crowd.

Fox. "Bones" and "The Following" are sliding.

The CW. ... :confused:

My AV Setup

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Here's the fourth Tuesday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS. As noted in another thread, CBS is apparently decided to buy into a cable channel to compete with NBCU's USA and Bravo. I have a feeling last night's ratings are a hint about why.

A new episode of the always-highest-rated-scripted-show-on-broadcast-TV "NCIS" did not win its hour in the demo. In recent history reruns of the show frequently won the hour. But the second premier night of NBC's "The Voice" won. In the second half hour in the demo "The Voice" pulled 4.3/12 compared to "NCIS" with 3.1/9. What is more telling for CBS is that the total 50+ crowd in that hour jumped 1 million and "NCIS" is down 1 million and they all went to "The Voice".

So it's clear to CEO Les Moonves that a broadcast channel, even a winner like CBS, needs a sister cable channel in the coming years as another profit center and probably one is enough.

"NCIS:LA" was hurt by the first "DWTS" elimination show and by the NBC sitcom shows which benefited by the lead in "The Voice" gave them. "Golden Boy" lost out to ABC's "Body of Proof" which I don't understand.

NBC's "The Voice" gave the network bragging rights in the 8-10 pm competition for the second night in a row. That's a dramatic turnaround for the peac0ck network, giving owner Comcast a boost. Part of the benefit is the lead-in doubled the demo for the two sitcoms following "The Voice". Maybe this will help "Go On" when they move it to Thursday in April.

ABC's "Splash" at 8 pm made a big splash in its premier last week. But last night the second dive ended in a belly flop leaving it #4. That didn't seem to keep "DWTS" first elimination show of the season from being #2. But compared to last year's demo of 3.0/8, this year's 2.3/6 looks anemic. "Body of Proof" won the 10 pm slot.

Fox saw a little bit of a slip for the night with all the new opposition from competition reality shows.

The CW gave us a rerun of "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" at 8 pm. :grin:

Edited by phrelin, 27 March 2013 - 04:42 PM.
typos

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,439 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

I noticed that Criminal Minds and Golden Boy aren't (yet) among the 18 primetime shows CBS just announced will return next season.

http://www.thefutonc...066jVlFRBgFf.99
/steve

spam firewall