Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2012-13 Season Ratings - Spring

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I noticed that Criminal Minds and Golden Boy aren't (yet) among the 18 primetime shows CBS just announced will return next season.

http://www.thefutonc...066jVlFRBgFf.99

The cast of Criminal Minds are in the middle of negotiations. During February Sweeps the show ran behind "American Idol" for the hour and behind "Modern Family" in the first half hour. And during last Fall it ran #3 behind "The Voice" and "Modern Family." Nonetheless, its ratings are decent given that competition if costs don't run too high (that's a hint to the cast).

The midseason newby "Golden Boy" looked like it might do ok until last night when it lost to "Body of Proof" for the first time.

Also, the other newby "Vegas", which got a full season order this year, is in trouble and unless it sees some kind of miracle in its new slot, Friday at 9 pm, it may not see a new order.

EDIT: The surprise for me was "Hawaii Five-0" which pulled an average rating during February Sweeps of 1.8 losing to "Castle". I'm expecting it to be on another night next year.

Edited by phrelin, 27 March 2013 - 05:12 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Here's the Fourth Wednesday of Spring 2013:

Posted Image
If you need larger print you can click on the image above.

Posted Image

Fox's juggernaut "American Idol" slipped again from last week. Compared to last year's 5.0/14 - 17.15, this year's 3.1/9 - 12.03, a 38% drop in the demo, has to have the network looking over their shoulders.

ABC may have contributed to "Idol's" problem this year. Last year on the comparable night, ABC ran reruns of its popular comedy lineup. This year original episodes averaged 40% higher in the demo and 60% higher in the 50+ crowd.

NBC executives even had something to smile about this morning as "Chicago" fire edged up in the demo towards its February Sweeps number winning the 10 pm hour. While CBS running reruns may have contributed to that, it's still a positive.

CBS ran reruns last night.

The CW's "Arrow" slipped slightly last night while "Supernatural" gained slightly. I have no idea what that means.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#43 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

The reasons for "live + same-day-DVR" viewer ratings is that advertisers want to know who is viewing their ads in a timely fashion. The ratings are important to the networks because traditionally they derived income from the advertisers, not the viewers. The only reason we viewers care about ratings is that if one's favorite show isn't pulling decent ratings, particularly in the "age 18-49 demo", it won't be continued on the network schedule.

So, what is important is not how "The Oscars" or "The Super Bowl" fared in the ratings, but rather how the new episodes of the regularly scheduled shows are doing. This has become more and more difficult to figure out looking at a night each week as the networks are airing shows off schedule and well as airing reruns. And then there's the fact that new shows or new seasons have premiered or will premier during the Spring schedule. So....

Here's the 5th Thursday of Spring compared to the new episodes of regularly scheduled show average ratings (although I'm still unsure about what NBC is doing):

Posted Image
If you wish to see the entire Spring, click on the image above.

Posted Image

Fox's Thursday edition of "American Idol" hit a series low last night. Compared to last year it was down 36% in the demo and 27% in total viewers.

ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" at 9 pm and "Scandal" at 10 pm gave it bragging rights for the night even though "Wife Swap" just edged out "Vampire Diaries" for #3 in the demo at 8 pm.

CBS continues with the March Madness NCAA Tournament which airs live, meaning that the ratings reflect total confusion. There was a game before, in, and after prime time for those on EDT. For those of us on PDT, it was well before and up to 10 pm, after which we had our 7 pm syndicated shows. With that said, CBS and ABC on average basically tied for #1 for the night.

The CW. The combination of "Vampire Diaries" and "Beauty and the Beast" allowed the network a win in the 8-10 pm demo over NBC.

NBC's night overall looked like a good night if it was The CW. Next week they'll air their new regular schedule for Spring for the first time, I think.:sure:

Basically we've got slightly more than a month of episodes before Upfronts where the networks will give advertisers and the rest of us their full Fall lineup.

Edited by phrelin, 29 March 2013 - 04:56 PM.
typo

My AV Setup

#44 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

...Here's the 5th Thursday of Spring compared to the new episodes of regularly scheduled show average ratings (although I'm still unsure about what NBC is doing):

I'm convinced that NBC is clueless about what THEY are doing. If someone had TRIED to sabotage their schedule, I doubt that they could have done a better job.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#45 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think that NBC is going after a certain kind of niche that isn't as large as they believe it is.

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Here's the Fifth Friday of Spring compared to the Spring averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS continues with the March Madness NCAA Tournament which airs live, meaning that the ratings reflect total confusion. There was a game before, in, and after prime time for those on EDT. For those of us on PDT, it was well before and up to 10 pm, after which we had our 7 pm syndicated shows. With that said, CBS won the night. In the averages, there are no numbers for "Vegas" which premiers in the Friday 9 pm slot next week.

ABC. I'm not sure whether they decided to schedule the remaining episodes of "Happy Endings" during the 8 pm hour to thoroughly kill the show or to check to see whether they were getting about the best ratings possible in those time slots with "Last Man Standing" and "Malibu Country" and should renew them. For comparison "Last Man Standing" had a an average Spring demo rating of 1.5 and a total of 7.05 million viewers and "Malibu Country" 1.3 and 6.13, ratings that look phenomenal compared to "Happy Endings."

NBC, despite generally poor ratings, still placed #3 ahead of Fox. When "Vegas" runs in the 9 pm time slot next week we'll see if it affects "Grimm". In theory, there are 5 million viewers this week that could be available to watch a show in that slot.

Fox's "Touch" at 9 pm ran lower than a rerun of its lead-in "Kitchen Nightmares" which is downright sad.

The CW's "Cult" is struggling to find a respectable-size cult following by The CW standards.

My AV Setup

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Sunday's are a tough night to find any meaning in the ratings other than for a show you may be concerned about, but here's the FINAL RESULTS of the Fifth Sunday of Spring compared to the Spring averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS regular show ratings were affected by a 41 minute overrun of the NCAA Basketball Tournament lead so what I'm showing here are approximate will need to be changed. It doesn't matter because all the Sunday shows have been renewed for next year. The NCAA Basketball Tournament did pull strong ratings, but we won't have any final numbers until tomorrow.

NBC has abandoned the first two hours of the night to regularly scheduled reruns which screws up the averaging system. However, the only new episode last night was an "All-Star Celebrity Apprentice" which did poorly, but it's cheap to produce so it doesn't matter.

ABC ran a rerun of "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown" at 7 pm and a rerun of " Once Upon A Time" at 8 pm. "Revenge" and "Red Widow" both slipped from lasts week.

Fox ran reruns of its animated lineup last night.

Edited by phrelin, 03 April 2013 - 09:28 AM.
Adjusted CBS

My AV Setup

#48 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Mentalist was a re-run last night, no? If so, those are decent numbers, IMO.
/steve

#49 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yes it was a rerun. If the final numbers are anywhere near close to the preliminary numbers, with most of the show in the East airing after 11 pm they would be remarkable. But I won't know until tomorrow.

My AV Setup

#50 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Here's the Fifth Monday of Spring compared to the Spring averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS ran reruns which should have given other networks a boost. But....

NBC's "The Voice" from 8-10 pm won the demo slipping only slightly from its premier last week. On the other hand, at 10 pm "Revolution" dropped 15% in the demo from its premier last week even though over at CBS "Hawaii Five-0" was a rerun.

ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" from 8-10 pm handily won the 50+ crowd as usual but slipped 11% in the demo over last week. What's interesting is that "Castle" not only gained 12% among the oldsters but gained slightly in the demo against a rerun of "Hawaii Five-0."

Fox. "Bones" at 8 pm seems to be stable while tying "DWTS" for #2 in the demo. "The Following", on the other hand, continues to slip in the demo each week.

The CW's "Carrie Diaries" seems to have stabilized, albeit at low ratings.

Edited by phrelin, 02 April 2013 - 12:53 PM.

My AV Setup

#51 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Yes it was a rerun. If the final numbers are anywhere near close to the preliminary numbers, with most of the show in the East airing after 11 pm they would be remarkable. But I won't know until tomorrow.

I have changed Sunday with the final results for the night for CBS and the ratings for "The Mentalist" rerun mostly after 11 pm are more like one would expect 0.9/3 -5.80.

My AV Setup

#52 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have changed Sunday with the final results for the night for CBS and the ratings for "The Mentalist" rerun mostly after 11 pm are more like one would expect 0.9/3 -5.80.

Thanks for following up on that! I know The Mentalist is an entertaining show, but I was mildly surprised a re-run would draw that well, especially airing so late, due to the game.
/steve

#53 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Here's the Fifth Tuesday of Spring compared to the Spring averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS, which has been controlling Tuesday ratings, ran reruns from 8-10 which didn't help "Golden Boy's" chances for a second season pickup.

NBC's "The Voice" climbed in its second week without a new "NCIS" running against it. Last night NBC ran two episodes of "The New Normal" for its finale which raised its averages. "Smash" was smashed long ago.

ABC's "Splash" continues its dive towards a belly flop. "Dancing with the Stars" elimination show ran about normal. Meanwhile "Body of Proof" still has a hold on the 10 pm competition.

Fox's "Hell's Kitchen" ran #2 in the demo in the absence of a new episode of "NCIS". They ran a rerun of "New Girl" which greased the continued slide of "Mindy Project".

The CW ran reruns.

My AV Setup

#54 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Here's the Fifth Wednesday of Spring compared to the Spring averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fox's "American Idol" continues its slide downward. Last year it pulled a 4.7/12 - 16.66 compared to last night's 3.0/9 - 11.48.

ABC's comedy lineup ran well considering the competition. "Modern Family" was #1 in the demo at 9 pm followed by the premier of "How To Live With Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)" which ran #2. "Nashville" is not running well IMHO considering the lead-in it had.

CBS. "Survivor" continues to run #2 in the demo and 50+ crowd behind "Idol." "Criminal Minds", however, ran #3 in the demo behind ABC's sitcoms though it was #2 in the 50+ crowd. "CSI' was #1 at 10 pm.

NBC's "Chicago Fire" continues to be competitive at 10 pm.

The CW's best night is Wednesday's, anchored by "Arrow".

My AV Setup

#55 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Here's the sixth Thursday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

CBS ran new episodes of its entire Thursday lineup which has been picked up for next year, except for "Two and a Half Men" which is still awaiting some negotiations though CBS reportedly wants the show back. The reason for the pickups is clear from last night - the network won every half hour of the entire three hours in total viewers and every half hour of the 8-10 pm competition in the demo.

Fox's "American Idol" tied its series low last night. Last year it ran 3.8/12 -13.79 compared to this year's 2.8/9 -11.28, a drop of 26% in the demo worshiped by Fox. For whatever reason, Fox chose to run during the 9 pm hour new episodes of "New Girl" and "Mindy Project" instead of a new episode of "Glee" (they ran lower than "Glee"). I combined them to get a comparison with the average for "Glee." But "New Girl" ran 2.0/6 - 4.87 and "Mindy Project 1.4/4 - 3.52.

ABC's latest Thursday 8 pm throwaway "Wife Swap" is running about as badly as "Zero Hour", but it is much cheaper to produce. "Grey's Anatomy" appears to have stabilized at roughly the same ratings as last year. "Scandal" has actually grown an audience running 29% higher in the demo than its premier on the comparable night last year.

NBC. It certainly is a distant memory back to the era of Must See TV Thursdays. "Hannibal" did premier higher than it's predecessor "Do No Harm". I really can't see "Hannibal" growing ratings before May upfronts which why I'm recording it, but will probably never watch it.

The CW ran reruns.

My AV Setup

#56 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Here's the sixth Friday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image
If you wish to see Fridays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

Posted Image

CBS won all six half hours in total viewers. It won only the 8:00 and the 8:30 half hours in the demo. In its new day and time "Vegas" managed to find 77% of the 50+ viewers and 60% of its demo viewers who watched it on Tuesday nights. It pulled only 67% of the demo and 80% of the 50+ group compared to "CSI: NY" ratings during February Sweeps. "Blue Bloods" has already been picked up for next year.

ABC won the demo in the four half hours from 9:00-11:00 with cheap programming. A few more demo fans found "Happy Endings" in its new day and times compared to last week.

NBC's "Fashion Star" continues to beat "Nikita" on The CW, but ran behind a rerun of Fox's "Kitchen Nightmares" in the demo. "Grimm" continues to perform well considering it's relegated to Friday. "Brian Williams" can't find an audience.

Fox's commitment to "Touch" is ...touching... considering it makes shows the network relegated to Friday in prior years look like winners. Last year at this time "Fringe" scored a 1.0/3 -3.08 compared to "Touch" at 0.6//2 - 2.40. Unless some advertiser love the show so much it's subsidizing it, "Touch" is a money loser, though nowhere nearly as bad as NBC's "Smash.":nono:

The CW's "Nikita" and "Supernatural" continue....:sure:

My AV Setup

#57 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

While the conventional wisdom in "the biz" is that the Live Plus 7 Days DVR watching ratings has no impact, it interesting to look at some shows that get the greatest boost from DVR watching in the demo and total viewers. The following is for the period of March 11-17:

Posted Image
Click on the table to view a larger version.

The table is sorted by the number of additional total viewers, highest to lowest. What one learns is that "The Big Bang Theory" gains the most demo and most total viewers.

If you're wondering why CBS renewed "The Mentalist" early, what you get from these numbers is that it gained a million demo viewers from DVR watching. Considering it's on Sunday at 10 pm against "Red Widow" which is also on the chart but gaining fewer demo viewers, CBS pretty much had to consider it a keeper.

When you look at NBC, "Grimm" gained 1.2 million demo viewers which kicks its total up to keeper level. While "Smash" gained 0.8 million demo viewers, that wasn't enough to save it.

What isn't on this list are some are some mixed indicators related to CBS renewals. "The Good Wife" gained 1.6 million total viewers that week. "Rules of Engagement" gained 0.6 million demo viewers which gets it into the respectable range.

My AV Setup

#58 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Though it's not very useful for seeing how well your favorite show is doing, here's the sixth Sunday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image
If you wish to see Sundays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

Posted Image

CBS won the night with "60 Minutes" and "The 48th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards", the latter causing the other networks to run reruns, except for...

NBC did run a new episode of "Celebrity Apprentice" at 10 pm which did ok all things considered.

My AV Setup

#59 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Because of the NCAA Championship Game live on CBS, i waited for some final numbers. As with yesterday, this sixth Monday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show isn't going to tell us much:

Posted Image
If you wish to see Mondays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

Posted Image

CBS ran reruns during the first hour, the NCAA Basketball Championship Game pre-game show from 9-9:30 followed by the game. As the averages indicate this gave them a win for the three hour competition, but they still lost the demo to NBC and the 50+ crowd to ABC.

NBC ran new episodes of "The Voice" and "Revolution" in the face of the March Madness culmination. That gave them #1 in the demo for the first three half hours and a strong #2 in the 9:30-10:00 half hour which indicates how strong "The Voice" is.

ABC ran a new " Dancing with the Stars" which ran below average but still held the 50+ crowd.

Fox ran a rerun of "Bones" but gambled with "The Following" which ran below average though it held it's live viewers through the second half hour against the game.

The CW's "The Carrie Diaries" finale finished decently, all things considered.

My AV Setup

#60 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Here's the sixth Tuesday of Spring 2013 compared to the Spring 2013 averages for new episodes of the regularly scheduled show:

Posted Image
If you wish to see Tuesdays during the entire Spring, click on the image above.

Posted Image

CBS won the 8 pm hour with the 50+ crowd, won the demo and the 50+ crowd in the 9 pm hour and won the demo in the 10 pm hour, the latter returning "Golden Boy" to the demo lead.

NBC's "The Voice" won the demo in the 8 pm hour and is running stronger in this hour than it did at 9 pm last year. The curious premier of "Ready for Love' in the half-hour demo went like this:
  • 9:00 2.1/ 6
  • 9:30 1.6/ 4
  • 10:00 1.3/ 4
  • 10:30 1.2/ 4
It's probably not a keeper unless one considers it a Summer Season show. Since I don't understand NBC, I have to assume it is possible that for those who closet themselves in a 30 Rock, Summer began last night.:rolleyes:

ABC's lineup performed much as one might expect. But one has to note that "DWTS" is slipping compared to last year.

Fox's lineup ran about average for new episodes of the Spring so far.

The CW's "Hart of Dixie" also ran about average.

My AV Setup

spam firewall